Should we adopt a Jain lifestyle?

Watch
Ąямєиίєζ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Should we take care of the environment as seriously as Jains do? Typical Jain habits include wearing masks to prevent inhaling microbes. Sweeping the floor as they walk, to prevent stepping on insects. Being a veggie to prevent killing animals... Do you think it is worth being this serious about protecting nature?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be honest, sweeping the floor probably kills the insects anyway.
Ąямєиίєζ
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
HAHA! you are jokes. i did not even think of that, so true as well! xD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ridiculous.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ąямєиίєζ)
Should we take care of the environment as seriously as Jains do? Typical Jain habits include wearing masks to prevent inhaling microbes. Sweeping the floor as they walk, to prevent stepping on insects. Being a veggie to prevent killing animals... Do you think it is worth being this serious about protecting nature?
I think some of the stuff they do is a bit extreme. But I think they are most likely the only religion that takes peacefulness seriously. Props to them. Do you know any good books about Jain ethics?
samiz20891
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well as a Jain, who has been Jain since I was born and all my family are too, I understand how this can seem extreme. Tbh, a lot of this is not practice outside India. In this I mean that there are not many people who sweep the floor before they walk in every day life, there are some parts of worshipping where this is done and actually for a certain festival called Paryushana, people fast with eating any food and only drink boiled water. There are a lot of vegetarians though, there is quite a large temple in Leicester, the main principle being about non-violence to all living organisms.

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
Yeah tbh that is the case, for certain festivals, they drink boiled water which appartently takes out any impurities, so it is more about purity tbh.

(Original post by Juichiro)
I think some of the stuff they do is a bit extreme. But I think they are most likely the only religion that takes peacefulness seriously. Props to them. Do you know any good books about Jain ethics?
Here is a link to a website about Jainism, it will probably have more information about ethics in more detail. http://www.jaincentreleicester.com/
kumori
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was fine up to being a veggie part... Bacon isn't going to eat itself now is it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ąямєиίєζ
Rep:
?
(Original post by samiz20891)
Well as a Jain, who has been Jain since I was born and all my family are too, I understand how this can seem extreme. Tbh, a lot of this is not practice outside India. In this I mean that there are not many people who sweep the floor before they walk in every day life, there are some parts of worshipping where this is done and actually for a certain festival called Paryushana, people fast with eating any food and only drink boiled water. There are a lot of vegetarians though, there is quite a large temple in Leicester, the main principle being about non-violence to all living organisms.
To be honest I am actually amazed at how dedicated Jains are to their religion. When i first heard about it I wanted to know more because its such a fascinating religion with such unique practises. I would love to visit the Jain temples and if there are any other really interesting facts I would love to know more!
Thanks for the link, btw
Ąямєиίєζ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juichiro)
I agree. I mean I actually find it kind of cool the way they can adopt such practises, which is why I want to know more about it. actually im looking for books too, i'll let you know.
Ąямєиίєζ
Rep:
?
(Original post by kumori)
I was fine up to being a veggie part... Bacon isn't going to eat itself now is it

Posted from TSR Mobile
haha yep! that's a hard one
samiz20891
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be honest I am actually amazed at how dedicated Jains are to their religion. When i first heard about it I wanted to know more because its such a fascinating religion with such unique practises. I would love to visit the Jain temples and if there are any other really interesting facts I would love to know more!
Thanks for the link, btw
Here another link, there a couple of Jain temples in London too. http://www.jainology.org/resources/j...les-in-the-uk/ .
Ąямєиίєζ
Rep:
?
(Original post by samiz20891)
Here another link, there a couple of Jain temples in London too. http://www.jainology.org/resources/j...les-in-the-uk/ .
cheers
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree. I mean I actually find it kind of cool the way they can adopt such practises, which is why I want to know more about it. actually im looking for books too, i'll let you know.
Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (850)
42.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.55%

Watched Threads