Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I might be getting a job that will involve me using a car - so I'm assuming I'd need to switch over to business, rather than personal insurance. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea how much more expensive this would be, the car is a 2004 VW Polo 1.4l by the way.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If it is more than commuting then yes, you need to request business use on your possibly and state an agreed mileage. At the end of the day, it could cost from 0.00 to 9,999,999 (i.e. impossible on your policy) so give them a call and ask

If you're looking at tax implications etc. I can't help, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    As he says ^. I am insured with a UK Insurance group company (Virgin Money - also Tesco insurance is another of their brands) - the lowest level of fully comprehensive cover that I can get from them is Social, Domestic & Pleasure and Business Use is included - and the premiums from there are lower than I can get from anywhere else, so might be worth looking at switching if you are coming to the end of a policy.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother declaring, especially if your a sub-contractor.
    I'm guessing you are because you using your own car under a PAYE sheme is unlikely.

I would just state you are going to do more miles. Its another fine example of the insurance company try to milk you for every penny. If the price is negligible, and I mean literally £20, then go business, but otherwise it really is not worth it. The only modification that could catch you out, is being in a suit and a police officer asking where you were going at a major scene in an accident; he wouldn't ask, which is more to the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    I wouldn't bother declaring, especially if your a sub-contractor.
    I'm guessing you are because you using your own car under a PAYE sheme is unlikely.

I would just state you are going to do more miles. Its another fine example of the insurance company try to milk you for every penny. If the price is negligible, and I mean literally £20, then go business, but otherwise it really is not worth it. The only modification that could catch you out, is being in a suit and a police officer asking where you were going at a major scene in an accident; he wouldn't ask, which is more to the point.
    Many companies ask for proof you ahve business insurance before paying you expenses so its impossible to go without it unless you dont want to claim expenses!

It cost me £20 to add commuting and 1000 business miles to my policy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L0RA)
    Many companies ask for proof you ahve business insurance before paying you expenses so its impossible to go without it unless you dont want to claim expenses!

It cost me £20 to add commuting and 1000 business miles to my policy...
    As a sub-contractor, you don't really have to. Being PAYE, I could understand. However, if its a minimal amount, theres no point skiving the costs.

ReputationRep:
    Another (semi) related question: at what point do you have to get commuting added to your policy on top of SDP? I sometimes drive my car to work, but seeing as my shifts start anywhere between 9am - 7pm, and finish anywhere between 5pm and 3am, it's not exactly as if I'm stuck in rush hour traffic every morning, plus it's only 4 miles so often I cycle anyway. What's the price difference between the two?

ReputationRep:
    Depends, from 0 to 999,999,999 Last year I paid £20 for adding it IIRC. If you do it less than twice a week I wouldn't worry - that's too infrequent for it to count as a use of the car. Otherwise just get it added as a type of use and feel safe that you're not ignoring the terms of insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Depends, from 0 to 999,999,999 Last year I paid £20 for adding it IIRC. If you do it less than twice a week I wouldn't worry - that's too infrequent for it to count as a use of the car. Otherwise just get it added as a type of use and feel safe that you're not ignoring the terms of insurance.
    I probably use it around 5 times a week, but I tend to work 7 day weeks . Problem I have is that my partner is on the car as a main driver (it was a third of the price to do it that way), so I'm worried that if I tell them I want to add commuting on they'll want me to be the main driver, which I can't afford. Hopefully it shouldn't be something they can prove, though? I was stopped by the police once and told them I was on my way to work but they didn't seem to have a problem with an SDP policy.

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't have checked properly. The insurers will ignore for a small claim but they won't for a proper claim if you get what I mean. You are correct in thinking that not all insurers allow named drivers to have commuting cover as it suggests main use.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.