The Student Room Group

A-level subjects for Russell group university's

Are any of these a-levels considered 'soft subjects' and would any Russell Groups consider me for entry with these A-levels?
Music, French, History and Religious Studies (Philosophy Beliefs and Ethics) along with grade 8 piano, voice and clarinet
Thanks
Reply 1
I'm not sure what music would fall under... But French, history and RE are all very respectable subjects. It all depends on what you want to study at university though, Russell Group universities will want relevant A-levels to the course you want to study (as I presume most universities do). Having your grade 8 in piano will definitely give you an advantage though, most good universities don't just want people for their academic ability - they want a well rounded person with real, non-academic interests too! Like I said, I think having relevant A-levels is more important than whether or not they are hard or soft (although hard subjects would probably be better)

I got 5/5 offers, all from Russell Group universities, even with a semi-soft subject :smile:
It will really depend on the course that you're applying for. If you applied for music then everything would be fine and Music would be deemed as relevant, along with your EC's. If you were applying for History then everything else would be fine apart from Music probably as it's deemed a bit more of a "soft subject"
Reply 3
They're perfectly fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Sasha98
Are any of these a-levels considered 'soft subjects' and would any Russell Groups consider me for entry with these A-levels?
Music, French, History and Religious Studies (Philosophy Beliefs and Ethics) along with grade 8 piano, voice and clarinet
Thanks

Despite whatever a few others are say (incorrectly) music is 100% not a soft subject, it is in the same category as the sciences, history, english, languages and maths (Top band for A levels). You will see next year (and especially in year 13) that Music is no way a soft subject. All your choices are fine
Reply 5
They are fine. Most RG unis dont really mind the odd 'soft' subject assuming that you combined other good subjects with them.

(Grade 8 o.O)

Quick Reply

Latest