Whats the difference between Morals and Ethics? Watch

WeeGuy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Whats the difference between Morals and Ethics?
WeeGuy
Rep:
?
anyone?

bump
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I've always believed that morals are more personal, more guided by the individuals perception to make a decision whereas ethics are usually societies interpretations on what an individual should be doing.
Kezza Wilson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
See this.
WeeGuy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kezza Wilson)
See this.
(Original post by djpailo)
Well I've always believed that morals are more personal, more guided by the individuals perception to make a decision whereas ethics are usually societies interpretations on what an individual should be doing.

thanks guys.
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Apart from what djpailo has said,

I think a person's ethics is generally what gives rise to what their morals are.
i.e. a person's general blueprint for how to be gives rise to the particular situations that they suggest is a beneficial way to act.

Perhaps it could be argued that morals are the pithier catchphrase of what ethics lays down.

Ethics might be 'Never harm anyone'.
Moral might be 'Treat others as you would would treat yourself'. (masochists not included).

Sounds very much the same when I put it like that though...
username1278869
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think morals are something everyone regardless of culture or social background etc are born with (Like instincts) and Ethics are developed/learnt as we grow older and are subjective to cultural background (I.E. right/wrong)
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is morally wrong to steal, it is ethically right to steal food for a starving baby.

That's one example, hard to explain.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Morals are based on intention, ethics results. At least I think. People tend to differ on these definitions.
anilkumar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Morals are an individuals own principles of what is "right" and "wrong". There are huge arguments as to whether morals are cognitive or non-cognitive (there are definite morals in the world, vs there aren't definite morals and that morals can change). For example one school of moral philosophy claims that morality exists transcendentally (like god kind of). Another school of moral philosophy claims that morals differ from culture to culture or society to society.

Ethics are a series of rules given to an individual by an external place. Society says that it is the right thing to do, whereas with morals, we tell ourselves individually whether it is the right thing or wrong thing to do. Ethics may come from things like your own profession.
gribble1803
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Morals are more personal to an individual for example, something you do for yourself to 'lead a good life' kind of like guidelines,whereas ethics can be serious issues and are more important, ethics are the must do should do rules of an ordered society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (56)
24.89%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.33%
I'm sick of studying (45)
20%
I can't find a course I want to do (6)
2.67%
I don't know enough about them (16)
7.11%