Advice on choosing university

Watch
vld19
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone! I'm having some problems deciding which universities I should apply to. I want to study Chemistry and I am currently considering these universities:

Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, St Andrews, Aberdeen and I will maybe add one in Wales - Cardiff.

I think I will apply to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cardiff for sure, but I can't decide my 4th and 5th choices.

I like St Andrews but I plan to find a part-time job, so I guess I should apply to larger cities. Also, about St Andrews and Aberdeen, I read that they are expensive, is that true?

I looked some league tables and Heriot-Watt, Strathclyde and Aberdeen are a little behind - like 40+. Should I be concerned about that?

I would really appreciate it if you could share any information about these universities and most importantly if you know what offers I can expect. Thanks in advance.
qno2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As far as I'm aware we (Heriot Watt) have a pretty good Chemistry department. I haven't heard any real complaints about the department, only about the subject which will be very similar wherever you go so thats kinda moot. You really shouldn't give league tables much thought at all because they get totally skewed by silly things. Plus after a quick glance, Heriot Watt has similar standings to Glasgow and Edinburgh in the league tables anyway for Chemistry. I'm assuming you're doing A-levels since you're applying to Cardiff and that would mean your offer would almost certainly be BBB including Chemistry and probably Maths. I'm guessing it would be similar for Aberdeen and Strathclyde too.
vld19
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot. Do you know something about Edinburgh? I am really concerned about what offer they could send me. Btw, I am not from the UK, but I found a table that compares UK's A-Levels to the our grades and so I expect my diploma to be with a grade comparable to AAB.
qno2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well as you can probably see, the entry for A-level students is normally at AAA so I really don't know what you can make of that. Edinburgh have some kind of advice page here for non-UK applicants: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/interna...y/introduction

Just wish to ask, are you from an EU country or actually international as your fee status tends to have a reasonable impact on whether you get an offer or not unfortunately.
vld19
Rep:
?
I'm from an EU country.
As I see their minimum is 5.5 in the majority of school leaving subjects and state examinations including required subjects. I have that.

Their typical offer is 5.8 in the majority of school leaving subjects and state examinations and 6.0 in all required subjects.

We have a total of 20 subjects studied during secondary education. And then 2+1 optional state examinations. I expect final grade 6.0 (which is the max grade) in 17 of the subjects and 5.5 in Literature, 5.25 Spanish, 5.75 Maths. In the State examinations I think I will have about 5.1 in the first (this one is in no way relevant to chemistry, though), 6.0 in a Chemistry state exam, 5.8 in an English state exam.

In the end, when I calculate my overall grade (not average) I got 5.85.
qno2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That should be fine I think considering you are getting higher than the 5.8 typical offer. They could be a bit picky about you not having 6.0 in maths though as its a required subject. I really can't say for sure.
vld19
Rep:
?
If suppose I could ask them if the will accept any other science subject like Biology or Physics. Before we graduate we can sit an exam and change up to 3(I think) grades we don't like. I have 5.0 in Maths from the 9th grade. I will have an exam on 9th grade Maths and everything will be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads