The Student Room Group

Chemical reaction with oxygen only.

Hi!

I would like to ask you, guys, two questions.

1- Is there a name for chemical reactions involving withdrawing of oxygen of a molecule by another molecule? Only the oxygen. For example:
Xo2 + B -> X + Bo2
or
Xo2 + B -> BX + o2
ps. X and B are molecules with others chemical elements.

2- Could you tell some examples of molecules that does what i said in question 1? Remove the oxygen of other molecule?

If there is a name, as i said in question 1, i could search for myself, but in the same way, i would like to have some examples.
Thank you!
Reply 1
Short answer: there is no such name.

Longer answer: you are looking for either reduction or deoxygenation, but none of these names refer to the general oxygen removal reaction. First is much broader, second is used mostly in organic chemistry (and even there typically refers only to a subset of reactions in which oxygen is removed).
Original post by amanda.castro
Hi!

1- Is there a name for chemical reactions involving withdrawing of oxygen of a molecule by another molecule? Only the oxygen. For example:
Xo2 + B -> X + Bo2
or
Xo2 + B -> BX + o2

2- Could you tell some examples of molecules that does what i said in question 1? Remove the oxygen of other molecule?

If there is a name, as i said in question 1, i could search for myself, but in the same way, i would like to have some examples.
Thank you!

Yes, it's reduction....

or rather it's a redox reaction. The B reduces the XO2 to X and in the process gets oxidised.
Hi!

Xo2 + B -> X + Bo2
or
Xo2 + B -> BX + o2

Thank you!

There isn;t a one step reaction but yes you can do that sort of thing
Reply 4
So, if i want to see some examples of this reaction, i have to search for reduction reactions in which oxygen is removed?
This i already know, but i thought there was a specific name. So, could be reduction or deoxygenation?

But could you give me some example of it?
Reply 5
Original post by JMaydom
There isn;t a one step reaction but yes you can do that sort of thing

Could be more than one step. How to do it? Can you give me an example?
Reply 6
Original post by charco
Yes, it's reduction....

or rather it's a redox reaction. The B reduces the XO2 to X and in the process gets oxidised.

Sorry bump this thread, but i really would like to have some examples.
I've been reading about and, are you sure is it's a redox reaction?

Redox is short for reduction and oxidation. This is a process where electrons get transferred from one species to another.

In the reactions of metals the metal atoms lose electrons. This is oxidation. If oxygen atoms gain electrons they become oxide ions, this is reduction.
think about the oxidation states of X and B in your examples. The oxidation states change for both... one goes up, one down so it's redox!

The natural process where SO3 is produced in the atmosphere can be an example, if I remember correctly, in the second step.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JMaydom
think about the oxidation states of X and B in your examples. The oxidation states change for both... one goes up, one down so it's redox!

And it can release the oxygen atom?
Hi!

Xo2 + B -> X + Bo2
or
Xo2 + B -> BX + o2
ps. X and B are molecules with others chemical elements. (...)

So Xo2 is an oxide, am I right? the case Xo2 + B -> X + Bo2 is possible, as it is a redox reaction.

Example: copper oxide and hydrogen reacts to copper and Water

CuO + H2 -> Cu + H2O, copper oxide is reduced to copper and hydrogen is oxidised to water.
Wrong answer.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest