Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissHero)
    you can't restrict the internet,
    Unless your Google China.

Another point I want to make is that there needs to be a HUGE effort to change the perception of mental illness. I know that there is some change underway, but there's still a long way to go until they achieve the same level of legitimacy as other types of illnesses with more physical manifestations.
    I very much agree, our society looks so negatively on mental illness with the stigma and it is treated with much less respect and understanding than that of other physical illnesses.

ReputationRep:
    ... who cares?

Girls can do what the hell they like. The websites won't MAKE them do it, and they'll only do it if they have the desire to do it and seek these sites out in the first place. If they think it's cool, let 'em - it's their health. Let them learn.

ReputationRep:
    i just think its sad so many people put time into this. same as i think its sad that guys think this is restricted to girls only..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    ... who cares?

Girls can do what the hell they like. The websites won't MAKE them do it, and they'll only do it if they have the desire to do it and seek these sites out in the first place. If they think it's cool, let 'em - it's their health. Let them learn.
    They don't do it because they think it's cool, they do it because they are ILL.
    Like Raggy-chan said, eating disorders are not restricted to women.
    One famous male sufferer:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mesEdwards.jpg

ReputationRep:
    They don't do it because they think it's cool, they do it because they are ILL.
    Like Raggy-chan said, eating disorders are not restricted to women.
    One famous male sufferer:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mesEdwards.jpg
    Whjatever reason they do it, it's still their choice. I refuse to believe they are mentally incapable of eating normally.

ReputationRep:
    Whjatever reason they do it, it's still their choice. I refuse to believe they are mentally incapable of eating normally.
    If they couldn't eat because their swallowing reflex went into spasm when they tried, you wouldn't question it.

The brain is an organ just like any other in the body, and is capable of preventing something that is perfectly normal from happening.

ReputationRep:
    The brain is an organ just like any other in the body, and is capable of preventing something that is perfectly normal from happening.
    Absolutely - the mind is extremely powerful!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you dismiss other mental illnesses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    Do you dismiss other mental illnesses?
    Not all, no.

I agree they're unhealthy, but it's hard for people who haven't been there to understand. Having that kind of support can be invaluable. I'm sure most of them know deep down that it's not healthy, but it's not nice feeling utterly isolated, from everyone you know and from society, and feeling like you're going insane. Talking to other people who make you feel 'normal', even if it is in a disturbing way, helps. The ironic thing is all the media coverage condemning the sites has made them ten times more popular than they would have been otherwise. I think it's the unhealthy attitude of our society as a whole towards eating and eating disorders which has caused the appearance of these kind of sites, which is really sad. And to the guy above who thinks they could just choose to eat if they wanted to...I'm not going to have a go at you, but you clearly have no understanding of this and a pretty narrow-minded approach to it. It's a horrible thing to be in the grip of an eating disorder and not something people would 'choose'. It's an emotional and psychological problem. I hope you don't go through your whole life being so judgemental.

ReputationRep:
    If they couldn't eat because their swallowing reflex went into spasm when they tried, you wouldn't question it.

Exactly. People seem to have the attitude of picin and choosing whiohc mental illnesses are vouchable, and generally tend to dismiss them in the comparison with physical illnesses. The brain has a huge effect on bodily functions, and our cognitive patterns and maladaptive thoughts can definately lead to people restricting there eating habits.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2006
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.