The Student Room Group

Bioprocessing of New Medicines (UCL)

Hey I was wondering whether anyone else applied to either of the two courses (Science& Engineering or Business& Management) and whether they have gotten offers yet. Also does anyone know whether it would be possible to do the Science& Engineering degree and then go on to doing a postgrad in a neuroscience direction (I am sort of scared that the program is not enough 'biology' to then pursue neurosciences...) :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied for the Science & Engineering equivalent, I see based on a previous thread you've opted for the Business version. If your worried about the biology content what made you opt for the Business & not Engineering version, simply virtue by the fact that it'd be more relevant (just interested haha may have come across as slightly condescending). Of course best of luck you didn't seem too confident in the other thread, I've had no reply also so I understand how you feel (application processed on the 21st November).
Reply 2
Original post by Daniel__
I applied for the Science & Engineering equivalent, I see based on a previous thread you've opted for the Business version. If your worried about the biology content what made you opt for the Business & not Engineering version, simply virtue by the fact that it'd be more relevant (just interested haha may have come across as slightly condescending). Of course best of luck you didn't seem too confident in the other thread, I've had no reply also so I understand how you feel (application processed on the 21st November).

Hahaha yeah the thing was that when I originally looked at it I thought the Business part would have been better for me but since working at Roche as a lab intern Ive really noticed that the science& engineering is the one I would like to pursue. The guy from UCL said switching in between the 2 programs is no problem so it made no real difference to which one I applied :smile:

Haha Im quite happy Im not the only one without a reply (he said they usually send them at the end of each month, so when I didn't get a reply end of November I freaked out a little bit :/ ) But hey best of luck and tell me when you hear back! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Ah I see, so when did your application get processed and where else did you apply to?
Reply 4
The 20th of November. I applied for Biomedical Sciences at Queen Mary (got an unconditional offer) and I havent heard back from Warwick, Kent or Brighton yet. How about you?
Reply 5
UCL Twice (Biochemistry as well as the others & only just received confirmation emails from both egineering & life sciences department), Birmingham (received an offer a couple days ago), Kings (offer received as of y'day) & Bath.

Btw how did you manage to have a meeting with the course leader?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Congrats! Looks like you're set, uni wise, either way :wink:

Well I live in Switzerland and I went to London to see some friends so I called them to make a meeting and went on a campus tour. Then I went back to Switzerland, decided that I loved London and went back again, this time I e-mailed the course leader himself and we met for about two hours. He said that if I was going to get an offer, I wouldn't have to do an interview as meeting me like this would be enough. (But I am doubting whether I will be getting an offer :/ )

If you want to get in contact with him, his name is Ivan Wall. He is super nice! :smile:
Reply 7
hi, did you decide to firm this course? I have an offer for this course too, but a bit concerned as I don't have chemistry to A Level...
Reply 8
Hi, I got an offer for this course! Can someone explain to me the difference between the nature of the Business and Management course vs the Science and Engineering one? Thanks x
Original post by memoryit
Hi, I got an offer for this course! Can someone explain to me the difference between the nature of the Business and Management course vs the Science and Engineering one? Thanks x

hey :smile: i take the bsuiness and management course. we take 8 modules each year. 4 of which are usually engineering and 4 of which are management based. first year the management courses are statistics, accounting, and some management course and finally a language. the B&M course i would say gives you more breadth. in second year we are now again taking 4 engineering based courses and 4 management ones. the science and engineering course is a lot more focused on engineering. thing is you can actually change your mind about which branch of the bioprocessing course you take until like the 3rd week of term or so... they give you quite some time to change your mind.
Reply 10
As for the language part, do you get to choose to study which ever you want?
Can we PM if you don't mind? because I've actually got quite a lot of questions in mind as the info provided by the website is limited :tongue: But I'm soo interested in going for this and I'll be firming it :smile:
As for the language part, do you get to choose to study which ever you want?
Can we PM if you don't mind? because I've actually got quite a lot of questions in mind as the info provided by the website is limited :tongue: But I'm soo interested in going for this and I'll be firming it :smile:

sure thing :smile: just message me :smile:
i literally have no idea how to pm you because i havent used this website since i started studying :tongue:
What is exactly the bioprocessing of new medicine course?? And if I choose the business and management part, is it very focused on it?
Reply 13
Hope everyone is well. I applied for the Bioprocessing of new medicine at UCL before the deadline on 15 Jan, I recieved offers from Kings and Queen mary but not yet for UCL. I am wondering if any of you guys or girls recieved offers from ucl for this course? Wish you the best luck for univdrsity application!
Reply 14
I have, and they're doing a post-offer open day session next friday, try emailing the department? They were very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I have, and they're doing a post-offer open day session next friday, try emailing the department? They were very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for your reply.

I applied for the business and management course. Do you think the uni had already given all their sits to the students for this course and why haven't they proceed with my application even if rejecting or accepting? Please advice.
Reply 16
In my opinion, you still have a chance, because I know this year's cohort was quite a small year group. Do email and see if you can come along! I applied for the same course because I loved the variety of modules :biggrin:
Reply 17
In my opinion, you still have a chance, because I know this year's cohort was quite a small year group. Do email and see if you can come along! I applied for the same course because I loved the variety of modules :biggrin:

Thank you very much for your help. I will do as you suggested.
Hi! I wanted to ask if anyone knows how the timetable will look like for this course (business&management). Also, is there a lot of chemistry? I did Biology at A-levels so I am not very good at Chemistry. Also, do you enjoy the course? What the graduate prospects like after graduating?
Thank you!
Reply 19
Original post by ShellyBoobelly
hey :smile: i take the bsuiness and management course. we take 8 modules each year. 4 of which are usually engineering and 4 of which are management based. first year the management courses are statistics, accounting, and some management course and finally a language. the B&M course i would say gives you more breadth. in second year we are now again taking 4 engineering based courses and 4 management ones. the science and engineering course is a lot more focused on engineering. thing is you can actually change your mind about which branch of the bioprocessing course you take until like the 3rd week of term or so... they give you quite some time to change your mind.

Hey i was wondering what other courses did you apply to? i really love the modules of this course but hesitant to apply as my predicted grades will be either AAC or AAB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending