The Student Room Group

Someone in previous house stole vouchers titled under my name

Hey, so unfortunately forgot to change my address for clubcard vouchers and it turns out whoever has moved into my previous house has used £10.50 worth since which have been posted. I'm going to assume i will be able to get tesco to get them to give them back to me, and even if not it isn't the point of why i'm annoyed. Why i'm annoyed is that someone has opened post which isn't theirs. £10.50 of tesco clubcard points which equates to £42 of vouchers elsewhere so it is a fair bit really. Not only that but they have used vouchers not belonging to them under my name which is what irks me.

So just wondering what can i do in this scenario? These vouchers were used in a different city once too, so obviously whoever used them lives there you'd think.

An interesting titbit of info is that my friend knows a girl who lives there so i'm asking him to give a message to her. But there are two other people in a flat above who use the same door so it might not even be them.

Thanks!
If I were you I would probably accept the fact that I was a bit of an idiot in forgetting to change my address and then move on.
Reply 2
Original post by hothedgehog
If I were you I would probably accept the fact that I was a bit of an idiot in forgetting to change my address and then move on.

You're not me though :colondollar:

It's against the law to open someone else's mail, and as a result i would quite like to do this person in seeing as they have obviously not only opened mail not addressed to them, but they have used vouchers in said letters. :beard:

I may have bee stupid not changing address but this person is in for a surprise if they think they can get away with this :smile:

If i get my £10.50 vouchers from Tesco back, i'll just ask them to donate the £10.50 to charity or something. You know do a good deed :redface:

This may be petty in a sense but it saddens me that people will steal other people's things. This is theft, no difference...
Original post by Gob Bluth
You're not me though :colondollar:

It's against the law to open someone else's mail, and as a result i would quite like to do this person in seeing as they have obviously not only opened mail not addressed to them, but they have used vouchers in said letters. :beard:

I may have bee stupid not changing address but this person is in for a surprise if they think they can get away with this :smile:

If i get my £10.50 vouchers from Tesco back, i'll just ask them to donate the £10.50 to charity or something. You know do a good deed :redface:

This may be petty in a sense but it saddens me that people will steal other people's things. This is theft, no difference...

Seriously, nothing's going to happen. Get over it and move on.
Reply 4
Seriously, nothing's going to happen. Get over it and move on.

Don't need comments like that as it aint helping.

Get out. :battle:
Original post by Gob Bluth
Don't need comments like that as it aint helping.

Get out. :battle:

Ok then, lets think about this properly.

A) can you prove that the people have opened your post? If you can't you don't have a leg to stand on.
B) Do you have any money to take people to court over this? Because if you don't then nothing's going to happen.
C) The police give people who do much more serious crimes lenient jail terms/fines, what do you think is going to happen for this? Nothing.
D) Do you really think tesco are going to be out of pocket by replacing the vouchers that you lost by forgetting to tell them you moved house? No.

So, there's 4 very good reasons to stop bothering about this petty problem.
Reply 6
Ok then, lets think about this properly.

A) can you prove that the people have opened your post? If you can't you don't have a leg to stand on.
B) Do you have any money to take people to court over this? Because if you don't then nothing's going to happen.
C) The police give people who do much more serious crimes lenient jail terms/fines, what do you think is going to happen for this? Nothing.
D) Do you really think tesco are going to be out of pocket by replacing the vouchers that you lost by forgetting to tell them you moved house? No.

So, there's 4 very good reasons to stop bothering about this petty problem.

A) Yes, as vouchers were used... so timestamps will be on when used etc.. it's fraudulent use of something that's not theirs obtained from a letter marked to me.
B) I'm not intending this to go to court... more of a case of a warning to these people not to open post that doesn't belong to them again.
D) Goodwill gestures... more common than you might think.

To sum up, i don't intend this to go far, it's way too petty, but it would be nice to at least give these people a warning. Opening other people's post is really not on whatsoever, and i hope this might serve more as a warning. I'm probably going to just go up there as the house is really close with my mate and just have a chat with someone who's there about it. Just going to try be civil and sort this out without trouble.

If no one owns up i'll plot my revenge in some way or other :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I thought you needed the clubcard the vouchers was linked to to use them, anyway try to phone tesco head office and explain it to them, since the person using them probably scanned their own clubcard they may be able to look into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by kumori
I thought you needed the clubcard the vouchers was linked to to use them, anyway try to phone tesco head office and explain it to them, since the person using them probably scanned their own clubcard they may be able to look into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, shall do that for sure. It would be quite funny if they scanned their own clubcard in the same transaction but likely if it happened 4 times and if they're a bit dim :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending