Should I chose Economics or Maths A-level ? :S

Watch
apollinaire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am a bright student currently in year 11 and am really looking to keep my options varied and broad. I am currently thinking of taking English Literature , History , Economics and Chemistry , I have studied all of them before and get A* in them all apart from economics which I have not studied. I am not sure about choosing between Economics or Maths and which would set me up to better choices. I can find Maths interesting ,but now maybe whether it is due to the teachers, the syllabus or myself it has become boring. I achieved an A* in maths GCSE in year 10 but am unsure of whether to pursue it because my ability is not as high as other students. I wan't my options to allow me to pursue a lot of things, and which would be better to do this? I would like to be ABLE to study subjects such as Law , History , Sociology , English Lit etc. in Uni so which would be the best? Because of my ability I am aiming for universities such as Oxbridge and other high rankers, which would they favour more? Or should I pick a completely different subject? Please Help.
DoctorInTraining
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would opt for maths for several reasons....

1. You know you have natural ability (regardless of your peer group) an A* is stella grounding!

2. Maximises potential courses post sixth form - you could still study Economics at University but not vice versa

3. Maths is logically

4. Balances your options - 2 arts and 2 science
lucas13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
doesnt really matter, just do the one youd enjoy most
apollinaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucas13)
doesnt really matter, just do the one youd enjoy most
That is the point , I don't know which I would prefer and which I want.
AnharM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why choose Chemistry? If I were you, I would choose English Lit, History, Economics and Mathematics. Chemistry won't really help with any of your uni options, and plus, most chemistry students want to either get into Medicine/Dentistry or some science based subject such as Pharmacy. I'm just saying this because Chemistry looks really odd from the other three choices.
apollinaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnharM)
Why choose Chemistry? If I were you, I would choose English Lit, History, Economics and Mathematics. Chemistry won't really help with any of your uni options, and plus, most chemistry students want to either get into Medicine/Dentistry or some science based subject such as Pharmacy. I'm just saying this because Chemistry looks really odd from the other three choices.
That seems to centred around maths but is a good idea.
lucas13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by apollinaire)
That is the point , I don't know which I would prefer and which I want.
try reading the sylabus, for economics read some econ news articles etc
wrexhamfc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by apollinaire)
I am a bright student currently in year 11 and am really looking to keep my options varied and broad. I am currently thinking of taking English Literature , History , Economics and Chemistry , I have studied all of them before and get A* in them all apart from economics which I have not studied. I am not sure about choosing between Economics or Maths and which would set me up to better choices. I can find Maths interesting ,but now maybe whether it is due to the teachers, the syllabus or myself it has become boring. I achieved an A* in maths GCSE in year 10 but am unsure of whether to pursue it because my ability is not as high as other students. I wan't my options to allow me to pursue a lot of things, and which would be better to do this? I would like to be ABLE to study subjects such as Law , History , Sociology , English Lit etc. in Uni so which would be the best? Because of my ability I am aiming for universities such as Oxbridge and other high rankers, which would they favour more? Or should I pick a completely different subject? Please Help.
Maths is both more respected and more versatile as an A-level. If you're already doing two essay subjects, you should be fine for humanities at top universities, and if you're looking to keep your options open, Maths is one of the best A-levels to go with. Unless you adore Economics, I would pick Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads