Doubting my course choice? Watch

bazinga123!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have sent my UCAS form off, i have received 3 offers at the moment for my subject choice. However I am now doubting myself. I have applied to do psychology, but i'm afraid that i should have done history. Maybe i am just thinking too hard about it, but what if i have chosen the wrong course. What do i do?
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't make any fast decisions. There must have been some reason you applied to do psychology. Think carefully about if you are actually doubting your course choice, or just feeling generally nervous about going to university.

If you decide you do want to change the course you are applying for, you might want to look into UCAS extra. There's a bit of info about that here. http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...-extra-choices However, to be eligable for extra, you would have to reject all your current choices, and that is a risk you might not want to take.

Equally, you could wait and see what results you get. If you change your mind on results day, I don't think it's neccessarily a good idea to try and go through clearing, unless you have visited some universities where you think you might like to study history and they have vaccancies.

You could reapply to history next year and take a gap year. This option has a lot of advantages. You will have more time to think about course choice, and visit more open days. You will have a full choice of all universities to apply to. You'll apply with known grades and recieve unconditional offers. You can also get a job on your gap year and save some money for university.

On the other hand, after christmas you might feel a bit more sure of yourself, and decide you want to study psychology after all.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As suggested above this isnt something to do in a hurry. Think why you wanted to do Psychology. Write the reasons down if it helps. Then think about what History would give you instead.

Its perfectly normal to have moments like this and to get cold feet as the process advances towards the big reality of actually going to Uni. But if you just panic now, you are likely to make a decision you then regret all over again.

If it comes to it, you can at any stage up to and after Results Day, just cancel your UCAS application, take some more time to think calmly about this, and reapply with more certain ideas next year. Remember, you dont have to go to Uni straight from school.
BerlinFilmFan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bazinga123!)
I have sent my UCAS form off, i have received 3 offers at the moment for my subject choice. However I am now doubting myself. I have applied to do psychology, but i'm afraid that i should have done history. Maybe i am just thinking too hard about it, but what if i have chosen the wrong course. What do i do?
Have you ever heard the term "buyer's remorse"? That describes exactly what you're feeling: the experience of being overwhelmed by doubt after committing to a big decision. You should know that this is very common, almost inevitable, in adult life, when you have to make quite important decisions.

What I'd like you to know is that just having these feelings is NOT proof in and of itself that you made a wrong decision. These feelings can occur even when you've made the right decision. In other words, please don't take the mere fact that you have some doubts as evidence that your decision was wrong. It is very normal to feel a wave of something like regret after firming up a choice in life. Take the excellent advice of the other commenters, and take some time to explore the root of your worries.

Best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (17)
34.69%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (14)
28.57%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (9)
18.37%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (4)
8.16%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (5)
10.2%

Watched Threads