The Student Room Group

JSA - Christmas temporary work, forced to show up but cant?

(edited 10 years ago)
Welcome to the world of work. Surely you knew what time the shop was open until? Then you should have banked on working until that time + at least an hour for tidying up and restocking.

What can I do? Like i really cannot show up until 11 PM. I do not have a car and at that time its so scary outside.
I used to work until 2am or 3am on a regular basis :dontknow: Can't you get a lift off someone, or cycle, seeing as it's only once that it's that late?

What happens if i leave this work and never show up again?
You'll be sacked

Will Jobcentre know about this?
They will ask them why you left. If they say you stopped turning up and so were sacked then....

Will there be any problems with receiving JSA after this?
... yes there will be problems. You'll probably find yourself sanctioned for making yourself voluntarily unemployed.

JOBCENTRE STILL doesnt know that i have a work now. Planning to tell them tomorrow but should I or can they check it on their own?
They can probably check via your tax records, as what you earn will have been registered via PAYE, even if you didn't pay tax.

You're going to have to stick it out until after Christmas. Your family will have to get over it in the meantime - you're an adult now. Then, if they agree to take you on for longer, ask for a transfer to a store nearer you.

Otherwise, you're starting to look like you don't actually want a job.
Reply 2
Tell them you can't get home from work at 11 and they might get a taxi for you. BHS got one for a colleague to come in on Boxing Day at 9 when there were no buses. :smile:
Reply 3
Do you not have anyone who can drop you home? I had temporary work with Royal Mail a few years ago and finished at 9.30pm and got a lift home.
Reply 4
Do you live in a rural or quite populated area? I used to work early mornings and leave home at 5 am, it was scary but you have to get used to it :tongue:
If it's just a one off thing I would just get a cab back. It's a pain but otherwise you're making yourself voluntarily unemployed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending