The Student Room Group

Scared off whey protein? Am I doing it wrong?

I'd been going to the gym and doing beginner-level weights and activity, and I really needed the protein to help me recover (I could be out of action for days because I didn't have the right nutrition post-workout). So I bought some whey protein (Precision Engineered, natural flavour, from Holland and Barret), and I found it was absolutely horrific. I was taking it with milk and blending it up and the taste and texture was plain awful.

After a few tries at taking it, I just gave in. I tried to up my protein in "normal food" ways, but it wasn't enough. I did try Herbalife for a while, but I'd rather not be reliant on the soy as I hear it can raise estrogen levels after a while, and I'd rather be a manly man with heaps of testosterone. However, the Herbalife stuff did do the trick while I took it. I could work harder and longer than before and didn't have the recovery issues (so I'm fairly confident that I was doing my exercises and workout properly and that it was just the nutrition).

So I'm wondering if I have done the whole whey thing wrong. A lot of people say that you should take it with water instead, so I'm looking for opinions. Did I just pick a really horrific flavour? Should I try something like the chocolate instead?

Any tips or advice would be great. Please keep this topic to just the whey for now, although obviously other comments may be useful.

My goals are to lose weight, gain strength and become more athletic.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jacktlad
I'd been going to the gym and doing beginner-level weights and activity, and I really needed the protein to help me recover (I could be out of action for days because I didn't have the right nutrition post-workout). So I bought some whey protein (Precision Engineered, natural flavour, from Holland and Barret), and I found it was absolutely horrific. I was taking it with milk and blending it up and the taste and texture was plain awful.

After a few tries at taking it, I just gave in. I tried to up my protein in "normal food" ways, but it wasn't enough. I did try Herbalife for a while, but I'd rather not be reliant on the soy as I hear it can raise estrogen levels after a while, and I'd rather be a manly man with heaps of testosterone. However, the Herbalife stuff did do the trick while I took it. I could work harder and longer than before and didn't have the recovery issues (so I'm fairly confident that I was doing my exercises and workout properly and that it was just the nutrition).

So I'm wondering if I have done the whole whey thing wrong. A lot of people say that you should take it with water instead, so I'm looking for opinions. Did I just pick a really horrific flavour? Should I try something like the chocolate instead?

Any tips or advice would be great. Please keep this topic to just the whey for now, although obviously other comments may be useful.

My goals are to lose weight, gain strength and become more athletic.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

Pick a flavour you like. I find chocolate smooth to be delicious. Very good prices too.

Original post by TheBhramaBull

Pick a flavour you like. I find chocolate smooth to be delicious. Very good prices too.

I was just about to suggest that site too.

The prices are great, and it tastes great. I have strawberry flavour (tastes amazing), but I heard cookies and cream is fantastic too!
Reply 3

I still have about half a tub of the natural whey protein left. I'm just wondering if there's any way I can recover it or if I'd picked a bad flavour from the start.

I will bear the site in mind when I need a refill though.
As others have said, myprotein is really good :smile: I use toffee and strawberry jam roly poly and they both taste great.
You can put your plain protein in porridge, or in natural yogurt and pour it over fruit. But I can't say I've ever tried plain whey before.
I still have about half a tub of the natural whey protein left. I'm just wondering if there's any way I can recover it or if I'd picked a bad flavour from the start.

I will bear the site in mind when I need a refill though.

The stuff you bought probably just tastes bad. I remember the first whey protein I had was Maximuscle and it tasted rancid, on top of being ridiculously expensive. The myprotein shakes I have taste nice with water and delicious with milk.

As for the protein you still have left, just get it down your neck as quick as you can when you have a shake.
Reply 6
The stuff you bought probably just tastes bad. I remember the first whey protein I had was Maximuscle and it tasted rancid, on top of being ridiculously expensive. The myprotein shakes I have taste nice with water and delicious with milk.

As for the protein you still have left, just get it down your neck as quick as you can when you have a shake.

Is adding milk a contributing factor though?
Reply 7
PhD Pharma Whey (the chocolate one) is the best I've ever tasted. Its actually nice to drink
Reply 8
Is adding milk a contributing factor though?

Unless you really don't like milk, then it will probably taste worse with water.

I use unflavoured whey from Myprotein with milk and I like it, but if it's not for you then they have a ton of flavoured ones that taste like a milkshake.
Whey tastes nicer with milk as it adds a little sugar and gives it more of a milkshake texture. It should still taste decent with water though.

Pick some up from Myprotein, their flavours are all great.

Save the whey you already have though, no point wasting it, you can find a use for it. You could mix 1 1/2 scoops flavoured Myprotein whey with 1/2 a scoop of the unflavoured, for example. Or you could save the flavoured whey for after the gym with water, and use the unflavoured for topping up your protein intake at home. If you've got a blender you can make some nice protein shakes by chucking all sorts in. Milk + unflavoured whey + whatever you want. Peanut butter is always good and Nutella is amazing. I've seen people blend chocolate bars into their shake and all sorts. Your imagination is the limit. Obviously it can start to get 'unhealthy' real quick, but IIFYM.
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
As others have said, myprotein is really good :smile: I use toffee and strawberry jam roly poly and they both taste great.
You can put your plain protein in porridge, or in natural yogurt and pour it over fruit. But I can't say I've ever tried plain whey before.

Plain one is nice, it's a bit creamy but by no means bad. Once you're about halfway into a 5kg bag, it starts to become a bit sickly.

Gonna order a jam roly poly one next after reading your post.

OP I would avoid Holland & Barrett.
Reply 11
Whey protein spooks easily, make sure you mix it gently.
(edited 10 years ago)
Been said before but myprotein.com is the best out there. I've tried the chocolate smooth and the vanilla, both are good. Never go for natural or unflavoured, yuck! The H&B stuff tastes like crap even when it is flavored,
I've tried the Holland and Barrett one, tastes absolutely horrible, don't get it again.

Instead, get the ON (Optimum Nutrition) brand, it's on Amazon, or other online retailers. The chocolate flavours taste like milkshake.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Plain one is nice, it's a bit creamy but by no means bad. Once you're about halfway into a 5kg bag, it starts to become a bit sickly.

Gonna order a jam roly poly one next after reading your post.

OP I would avoid Holland & Barrett.

yeah jam roly poly is my favourite :h:
from Holland and Barret.

well there's your problem
Reply 16
You can definitely get enough protein from normal food - a pint of milk and a sandwich or a piece of fruit is sufficient if you're a beginner. Whey is a good supplement though - try different brands and different flavors. There's loads of different kinds of whey out there - different companies will isolate it with different process and brands even have a range of different quality wheys. The texture can vary pretty significantly.
Reply 17
My Protein is definitely not as cheap as Bulk Powders. Their Pure Whey Isolate is the cheapest in Europe + there are a tone of discount codes on the web for them.

The problem with the Holland and Barret whey probably comes down to quality. Bulk's stuff is made in house...I think Essex (not sourced from other countries) and I reckon that's why it's such good value too, because they've cut out the middle man.

Their Men's Health V8 challenge stuff is on sale at the moment and has a beginner bundle which might be quite good for you??

The 'natural' flavour from Holland & Barret might have also been the problem. They have lots of flavours too...vanilla, choc, strawberry, cookie, peaches and cream...toffee popcorn. I have Chocolate which is pretty damn tasty.

I think it is a case for shopping around a little bit and reading lots of reviews. I guess with taste it comes down to personal preference too.

Hope this helps!
Get cheap protein with vanilla or chocolate flavour or something. Protein powder is basically powdered milk with the fat and carbs removed, not some luxury tasty product as H&B want to imply; "natural flavour" is a euphemism for unflavoured.
Reply 19
Dont get PhD Chocolate Cookies, i just got it today and ive been gagging, its really just rancid. i blended it up with some strawberries and banana and it was just as bad. there is no way in hell i can finish it.

Quick Reply

Latest