The Student Room Group

A level choices

What A levels do i pick for mechanical engineering?
Original post by Mohammed212

Id deffinately pick maths, chemistry and physics.
Then for your 4th option, id choose something like history, geography, ICT, or further maths.
Reply 2
should i do design tech
As the above poster said, plus further maths preferably but not as a fourth, only as a fifth (as often unis don't count maths and further maths separately). For your fourth option choose a 'hard' subject e.g. bio, geo, history, a language, english lit.

I would say Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry... However it sort of depends where you want to apply. Really good Unis might ask for further maths but slightly less prestigious ones probably won't... Sort of have to ask whether you're up to the above 4 and make a realistic assessment of where you think you'd be likely to actually apply to!
should i do design tech

You could consider it as your 4th or 5th subject, it you really didnt fancy anything else, but i think it would be better to something more respected such as history, geography, further maths etc. Plus things like further maths are more relevant. And further maths might even be required by some unis.
(edited 10 years ago)

Maths, further maths, physics and another subject you would be happy to carry on with at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Guys thanks for the advice i've decided to pick maths physics and design but i wont be picking fm because ive been told not to by my maths teacher even though i got an a* so wat would be a good 4th choice
Guys thanks for the advice i've decided to pick maths physics and design but i wont be picking fm because ive been told not to by my maths teacher even though i got an a* so wat would be a good 4th choice

Further maths is really important for mechanical engineering as it lays the foundation for the kind of maths you will be doing at degree level. Have you thought about geography/economics? Something different to broaden your choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
ive picked geography as a fourth thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest