The Student Room Group

How did you tell you parents about your first girlfriend (or boyfriend)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alfissti
I never told mine until some years had gone by as they would have gone mad due to her race, religion, class and education level.

The first time I told them something about her was over the phone I told them I went on a school trip and met one Swedish girl who had terrible dress sense, told them even took a picture with her, they thought I was crazy and was wasting film. Obviously they had no idea :smile:

I finally told them when I graduated from uni and introduced everyone :smile:

That's so funny! How did your parents take it/how do they feel about it now?
Original post by Plumstone
My mum met my boyfriend at the same time I did and I tell her everything so she knew about every email, text message and date from the very beginning.

My dad, on the other hand, doesn't live with us so I had to actually sit down and tell him. To be honest, I don't remember exactly how I told him that I had a boyfriend because the tricky part of the conversation (which I had planned and rehearsed) was letting him know that his 17 year old daughter was dating a 30 year old!

Luckily, though, I have a sensible, relaxed mother and, frankly, I didn't care what my dad thought!

Everything?! :K:
Original post by Le Nombre
Everything?! :K:

:tongue: not quite everything...
My mother drove past whilst I was making out with my first girlfriend at a bus-stop. Frankly over the years they've seen me in more compromising situations. But this was acutely embarrassing at the time. My parents were fine, my elder siblings had a field day (not because they actually cared but because they knew I was self-conscious about it). At the end of the day, once every knows you can all just get on it with it.
Original post by BowzerEdwards
Interpretive dance.

You, sir, have won the internet
Original post by BowzerEdwards
Interpretive dance.

Both of you or just yourself?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Did your parents say anything to you lol?

My dad was like we've had an interesting phonecall from one of your friends parents. Whose "ex's name here" he asked. So I told him she's a girl I've been seeing. Asked me about her and such.

Then a 15 minute "use protection" lecture. Thank god my mum didn't pick up the phone when my ex's dad called, I'd have died if I had to have the safe sex talk with her :biggrin:.
Reply 27
'Mum, dad this is Kevin'
I told my mother on Friday actually! Did it on Facebook. There's no way I could have said it to her face. :colondollar:
I didn't tell her, she found the teddy bear he'd given me saying "xx loves Hellz Bellz".

Was well awkward.
My mom knew we were hanging out quite a bit and asked all the time if we were dating, and truthfully, I kept saying no. Then once we were dating, my mom asked again and I told her we were. Pretty simple.
Reply 31
Original post by Plumstone
That's so funny! How did your parents take it/how do they feel about it now?

When they were first introduced it was just after my convocation and I guess they didn't want to make a scene so they mostly kept quiet and waited till later.

Then it was the usual let's interview her to find out what is she about and invited her to a Sunday lunch, it was also where I told them to meet their granddaughters, they were very pissed off but again didn't show it but made their displeasure be known by saying they were very shocked after all the education they gave me I still could make such a mistake. Then they started interviewing her and asking her all sorts of questions to which she truthfully answered them as she knew it would happen. They then told her they won't be allowing me to return to Sweden with her and she better not hope to be getting a single cent from them. I told them I was staying on in UK and they insisted I should return to Singapore, I told them I will return in the near future.

These days my dad doesn't oppose her existence but doesn't say he is supportive of her. He doesn't quite care she isn't Catholic like he used to and he does speak to all our kids a lot.

My mum on the other hand, it's still a sore point and doesn't want to acknowledge her existence.
Reply 32
Never had to :tongue:

Forever alone
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Mum: "Is she your gf"
Me: "Yes"

The End.
Original post by barnetlad
Both of you or just yourself?

Just me.

She helped choreograph though.
I didn't :lol:

The first girl I brought home to meet my parents was at age 18 I think, and I'd been with her for a year or more. When I did, I just told my mum I was bringing a girl home to meet her and she had to be nice. Don't give too much warning though or they might dig out some baby photos :colonhash:
Reply 36
My mum found out because he sent me really soppy love letters. Sometimes I'd come back from school and find them opened on my desk. You'd think she'd just read one and conclude that he isn't a paedo/sexaholic and leave it at that considering he came from a strong Christian family, went to a better school than me ect. I think she was just nosey though. Bitch. Unfortunately the guy just had a way with words, it was just a standard teenage infatuation from his end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Orthonym
My mum found out because he sent me really soppy love letters. Sometimes I'd come back from school and find them opened on my desk. You'd think she'd just read one and conclude that he isn't a paedo/sexaholic and leave it at that considering he came from a strong Christian family, went to a better school than me ect. I think she was just nosey though. Bitch. Unfortunately the guy just had a way with words, it was just a standard teenage infatuation from his end.

Exactly the same with me :frown: she found my lil letters and she bassicly went through everything. Only diff is he's athiest from a Muslim family and we go to the same school :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
My current boyfriend (first proper one) asked me out when we were both out bowling for someone's birthday, and I texted my parents to tell them. The conversation went something like this:
Me: 'Guess what?'
Them: 'What?'
Me: 'I may have just acquired a boyfriend.'
Them: 'Oh, who? That was careless!'
:lol:

Quick Reply