The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Royalist. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Besides, would you rather have Liz or President Blair?
Royalist. There's not much wrong with that part of our setup, despite what Republicans might bleat about. The Royal Family has quite a unique place in the perception that people have of the UK, and it would do more harm than good to remove that.
Reply 3
Royalist, definitely. I would much rather have a constitutional monarchical system that's been proven to work than an experimental republic that's slightly more democratic but also many times more risky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Royalist - although I prefer the term 'monarchist', as royalist strikes me as describing someone who likes the celebrity of monarchy.

The monarchy is a stable and effective national symbol for this country. On a constitutional basis it encourages long-term planning at the highest offices and as a useful denier of emergency powers to those that would be tempted to use said powers frequently.
Reply 5
proud republican, I believe in democracy and equality, giving people power or privilege in our society based on an arbitrary bloodline is moronic in the extreme and is essentially fascist.
Reply 6
problem is most people believe in one or the other...

I'm a republican in the sense of how people should behave towards the state... aka serve the state, get rights...

However in terms of democracy, it always goes corrupt and that takes a single leader to correct in the short term.... sadly modern examples in italy, spain and germany resulted in facism...

At the end of the day emergency powers have to be assigned to a single person in times of national crisis seeing democracy breed bickering and inaction.
Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Finally, a place where I can use this quote appropriately!
Not sure. How much do they cost the UK taxpayer?
Reply 9
Original post by ChaosisaLadder
Not sure. How much do they cost the UK taxpayer?

Depending where you look they "cost" or are given £35-£45 million a year

However they pay in £230.9m into the national treasury a year... that about £190m profit for the taxpayer....

And the above does not apply to private property.
(edited 10 years ago)
Republican. Far, far too much in this country and this world comes down to who your parents are.
Wtf are they anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DanB1991

However they pay in £230.9m into the national treasury a year... that about £190m profit for the taxpayer....

'They' don't pay in anything, that £230.9m is revenue generated mostly by monatchy related tourism. There is a very good argument that this revenue would remain at a similar level, if not increase with the abolition of the monarchy.
Reply 13
I suppose I'm a monarchist. Quite frankly I like the Monarchy as an institution, and feel that it is a firm part of British identity. Although I understand the argument of Republicans, and even sympathise to a degree but the idea of an elected head of state just doesn't excite me. There are more important things we can do to improve democracy in the United Kingdom, such as electoral reform and House of Lords reform, that will have a real impact, rather than just focusing on getting an elected Head of State,

Plus 'for Queen and Country' sounds better than 'for the Republic'.
Original post by DanB1991

And the above does not apply to private property.

Hmm there's the tourism angle too. I guess I'm ok with them, for now, moneywise. I suppose its morally questionable that they are "better" and needed to be treated with more respect because of what family they were born into.
Reply 15
Original post by DaveSmith99
'They' don't pay in anything, that £230.9m is revenue generated mostly by monatchy related tourism. There is a very good argument that this revenue would remain at a similar level, if not increase with the abolition of the monarchy.

Not just tourism, the £230m comes from the entire royal estate... that includes land, agriculture, rent etc. If such property became private it would then become taxed instead... thus a sharpe drop would occur...

Basically the whole cost argument against the royal family is irrelevant, they don't actually cost the tax payer.
Original post by SciFiRory
proud republican, I believe in democracy and equality, giving people power or privilege in our society based on an arbitrary bloodline is moronic in the extreme and is essentially fascist.

God save the queen, the fascist regime!
Republican

Because I'm Irish - lol!
Reply 18
I don't really like the idea of royalty. And privilege running in bloodlines seems so outdated.
It's all very 'ceremonial' and pointless really.
I wouldn't want a president either though.
Original post by DaveSmith99

Why would tourism revenue increase following the abolition of the monarchy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending