123bella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey, I apologise if there is already a thread about this but I couldn't find one that was recent!
Is anyone applying for Theology/Theology & Religious Studies at University?
It seems to be an 'unusual' and 'unpopular' choice and I do not know anyone else who has applied for it!
I have applied to St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Sheffield.
I have an offer from Glasgow for AAB- they seem to be handing out loads of offers at the moment and very shortly after your application is sent?
Thanks x
sophie-paul
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I am! I've applied to Glasgow and Edinburgh too! And also Roehampton and Cardiff (I applied to Edinburgh twice - once for straight Theology, and once for Philosophy/Theology).
I had the same offer from Glasgow - they say that they aim to respond within a week.
I've had all my offers as of Tuesday, and I'll definitely be firming Edinburgh, though which one I'm not sure yet!

Good luck with your other offers! x
HJones68
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, I'm applying for Theology at some places, but I'm more into Religious Studies (I really like contemporary religion, philosophy of religion and ethics)

I've applied to: Cambridge (Theology&RS), Leeds (Theo&RS), Edinburgh (RS), King's (Religion, Philosophy and Ethics) and SOAS (study of religions)

I have offers from all of them apart from Cambridge, best of luck to you both, out of interest what were your offer grades from Edinburgh? (because my offer was really reduced - which is great, but I'm not sure why)..
sophie-paul
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well done, those are all really great universities!

Yeah my offer for Edinburgh was really reduced too (I thought anyhow!) of BBB, but it seems that quite a few people have received that too. I'm very happy with that though! I didn't really research other universities, and so I'm so glad that I got an offer for the one that I really wanted!

Good luck with Cambridge, my friend had her interview for Philosophy the other day, and as far as I am aware it seemed to go quite well! Hope yours went well too, if you have already had it, and if not then good luck :-)
Cat1095
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hi, yeah I'm applying deferred for theology this year too I'm aplying to Durham, Edinburgh, Exeter, Bristol and Cardiff and that is roughly my order. I have offers from Bristol and Cardiff (ABB) and Exeter (AAB). Have you guys visited any of them? Because the only place I've visited is Durham and I'm getting quite nervous about where I will accept if I don't get offers from Durham or Edinburgh because those are my top 2.
familiartasteofL
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've applied to for Theology and Religion/Religious Studies at Durham, Uni of Birmingham, Newman, Canterbury Christ Church and York St John.
Jamerson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HJones68)
Hey, I'm applying for Theology at some places, but I'm more into Religious Studies (I really like contemporary religion, philosophy of religion and ethics)

I've applied to: Cambridge (Theology&RS), Leeds (Theo&RS), Edinburgh (RS), King's (Religion, Philosophy and Ethics) and SOAS (study of religions)

I have offers from all of them apart from Cambridge, best of luck to you both, out of interest what were your offer grades from Edinburgh? (because my offer was really reduced - which is great, but I'm not sure why)..
Did you attend a Cambridge interview? What College? How did it go? Etc etc
Jamerson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've applied for Theology at Cambridge, Theology & Philosophy at Durham, Theology & Religious Studies at Lancaster, and Religion, Philosophy, and Ethics at KCL.

I have offers from Exeter, Lancaster, and KCL, and had my interviews at Cambridge yesterday. If I am unsuccessful at Cambridge then I think I'll firm KCL
123bella
Rep:
?
I've now got offers from Glasgow (AAB), Sheffield (ABB), and I too was offered BBB from Edinburgh today! I thought it was a mistake haha
I have a friend who has an offer for Theology from Durham but I'm still desperate to hear back
123bella
Rep:
?
I've now got offers from Glasgow (AAB), Sheffield (ABB), and I too was offered BBB from Edinburgh today! I thought it was a mistake haha
I have a friend who has an offer for Theology from Durham but I'm still desperate to hear back
crazychick101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey,
I have applied for Theology at Durham, St Andrew's, Cambridge, Edinburgh and Exeter and had offers from Edinburgh, Exeter and Durham and had my interviews at Cambridge last week. So hard to tell how Cambridge went though haha!
Congrats on all the offers!
123bella
Rep:
?
Just got my Durham offer!!!!
ebowey
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm a current Durham Theology student, if you have any questions about the course, department, city let me know.
ebowey
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 123bella)
Hey, I apologise if there is already a thread about this but I couldn't find one that was recent!
Is anyone applying for Theology/Theology & Religious Studies at University?
It seems to be an 'unusual' and 'unpopular' choice and I do not know anyone else who has applied for it!
I have applied to St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Sheffield.
I have an offer from Glasgow for AAB- they seem to be handing out loads of offers at the moment and very shortly after your application is sent?
Thanks x
You'd be surprised how popular theology is. Durham has (I think) 90 students in first year, whereas the year before was 65.
HJones68
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jamerson)
Did you attend a Cambridge interview? What College? How did it go? Etc etc
Sorry this is ridiculously late haha, I had interviews at Homerton and Girton (applied to Homerton) and now have an offer from Corpus Christi, how about you?
tjones364
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm applying to do theology at St. Marys, york St. John! Chester, Canterbury Christchurch and Leeds trinity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Diety
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm also a current Durham theology student, so feel free to ask me about that if you want I also went through the Cambridge process and had an offer from Homerton so I know a bit about that too.
GoneSailing
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Applied for Theology and have got unconditionals from Durham, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Glasgow. I'm still waiting for St Andrews. I'm not really sure where I should firm though: it's between Durham, Edinburgh and possibly St Andrews if they make me an offer.

(Original post by Diety)
I'm also a current Durham theology student, so feel free to ask me about that if you want I also went through the Cambridge process and had an offer from Homerton so I know a bit about that too.
Could you give some general info on Durham? I've read most of the stuff on the website, but would be great to have a student perspective as well - how do you find the course/teaching? What are the particular strengths of the department? What's the general atmosphere of the university like? I might have a few more at some point, but that's probably enough for now!
Diety
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GoneSailing)
Applied for Theology and have got unconditionals from Durham, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Glasgow. I'm still waiting for St Andrews. I'm not really sure where I should firm though: it's between Durham, Edinburgh and possibly St Andrews if they make me an offer.

Could you give some general info on Durham? I've read most of the stuff on the website, but would be great to have a student perspective as well - how do you find the course/teaching? What are the particular strengths of the department? What's the general atmosphere of the university like? I might have a few more at some point, but that's probably enough for now!
Course is fab, the work is not overwhelming, although some weeks it gets quite intense, and all the topics are really interesting. The teaching makes it though; all the teachers are just fab! Great seminar leaders who will beak brownies of even offer to strip 'to make seminars more interesting', and your NT lecturer is Prof Bash, a legend who is just so lovely and really passionate, then Moberly for OT who wears crazy jumpers, Study of Religion has the FANTASTIC Prof Davies who is Welsh () and so nutty and excitable, he once made us all close our eyes and say lalalalala, but I forget why and king of the lot is Prof McIntosh who is just GOD, so lovely and so so so clever it's ridiculous. And all these guys are absolutely lovely, if you email them with a question or feel you don't understand something they will take you out for coffee to talk about it!

The general atmosphere of the uni is great, everyone is so lovely and theologians are a really close-knit bunch because we all do most of the same modules in first year.

Any further questions, feel free to ask. The weirdness of this post is evidence of enthusiasm not mild insanity…
PrincessCecil
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Meeeee

Durham - withdrawn
Nottingham - ABB (firm choice)
Sheffield - ABB (declined)
York St John - 260 ucas points (declined)
Liverpool Hope - 260 ucas points (insurance choice)

So now I just have to work hard and make sure I get myself into Nottingham! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.28%

Watched Threads