I know a secret to A-levels. Watch

shredoholic_strat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
It is a myth that the "naturally intelligent" get the A's. Many people's revision is RUBBISH compared to what the brain is capable of. Learn some simple memory tricks / revision techniques. Read a book on it, seriously. With visual revision for visual learners you will learn more in less time. You wont be as stressed too.

Practise many timed past papers in exam conditions. Learn mark schemes. Other simple things like doing excercise, drinking water, good sleep, etc is widely available, google it. Start early, do something every night - even 2 minutes looking over your notes from the day is WAY better than nothing.

I left it very late to start revising (not reccommended). Im not "espeically brainy" but will get A's. All of the psychology is out there but still people will spend hours revising, writing things in over and over which may work but not as effectively as other ways. For visulas draw silly pictures - it sound daft, but you will remember an associated picture MUCH faster than writing it out 50 times. Your brain doesn't work like that. Keep doing this over time and it will stay. Once and it probably won't.

I can guarantee not everyone follows this advice. It sounds obvious, but the fact is you will benefit from it and make it easier on yourself. Its all a game thats pitched so that some people get A's and some E's. They are do-able.

You must already be clever. If you are capable of getting this far with rubbish revision like most gcse was (at least mine), how well will you do with better revision?

Your loss if you dont!
worldwide
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You're right, of course, but I have read books on memory. And the first thing they say - all of them - is that you should find the technique that works for you. So perhaps a better point to make would be a nice cliche like 'think outside of the box when it comes to revision'. You make some good points, but people aren't as stupid as you make out. For some, repetition works, fact.
worldwide
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Additionally, for some subjects - General Studies, Critical Thinking, Music, Art, English, Latin etc, what you have to learn isn't linear. For lists of words, people don't just read them out again and again - they write mnemonics. What I'm saying is that different techniques work for different people and different subjects!
rachelrainbow32
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You know what a secret is also.
State te obvious. I dont know about anyone else but some of the marks in certain a-level subjects are for the most simple things.
wackysparkle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
uh huh u got that right! it was soo like that for biology!
alispam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i just learn by repetition, but by reading aloud over and over again rather than writing things down. its very individual and its always worked v well for me. people need how to learn for themselves ive tried picture association and it doesn't work for me.
Who?
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:rofl:this is such a funny thread. Thanks for trying Your advice is good, of course, but everyone knows it:p:
M_Jenkins
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ah. I learned that technique two weeks before my exam.
shredoholic_strat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
but everyone knows it
This just isnt true I remember reading some examiners a while back and it stated how some people fell down at the most basic hurdles - which must have been significant if it is included! Perhaps its that people dont revise enough?!

And obviously there are different types of learners I think visual is most common?

I do know most of it is stating the obvious, hence the title. Its just amazing some dont. We didnt really get revision lessons at our school. Im sure it will make a few people think and hopefully help somebody somewhere... If you know it all, good for you its nothing really knew I know.
Libly Bee
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alispam)
i just learn by repetition,
me too - i have a photographic memory so if i look at the page regularly when it comes to the exam i will be able to see it in my head
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know one too only it's not all that secret:
study
revise however you feel best
do as many past papers and sample quesions as possible
mark them yourself (mark schemes on internet)
*Tears and Butterflies*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks for the tip but I do feel alexeynechaev has a point

(Original post by alexeynechaev)
Your advice is good, of course, but everyone knows it:p:
The majority of people do know this, it is just that they do not put it into practice often enough. They are lazy, a huge amount of success is down to your own hard work and some people although they know how to do it, are not willing to put in the work.
Jacktion
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Libly Bee)
me too - i have a photographic memory so if i look at the page regularly when it comes to the exam i will be able to see it in my head
A photographic memory would mean you could look at a page once and be able to see it in your head, nothing to do with regularity (is that a word?).

You just have a good memory :P
PhilMc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Everyone one of us has a Photographic memory. Fact.
Jacktion
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah but I think he was refering to having an eideitc memory
supertramp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Drawing pictures will not work if that's not how your brain works best. Plus, a picture is not going to help you remember the details you need to get marks. Sorry. And it's not a secret either.
caw123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cartleman)
All of the psychology is out there but still people will spend hours revising, writing things in over and over which may work but not as effectively as other ways. For visulas draw silly pictures - it sound daft, but you will remember an associated picture MUCH faster than writing it out 50 times. Your brain doesn't work like that.
People's brains work in different ways, it's wrong to say that revision has to be done a certain way to be most effective.

Forget memory techniques. Just predict the questions and take the risk!

For AS I did one day of revision for Law and Psychology, which consisted of writing stuff down half a dozen times. I got As. Everyone has their own method.
kinkajou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it's easier said than done! :p:
XxJaninexX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am very auditry. I walk around saying stuff to myself (just in the house of course). I also get people to test me and tell me the answers.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For discrete tracts of information, I invent allegories which prompt factual recall through image-association.

Otherwise, I cram.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (278)
80.35%
Leave (68)
19.65%

Watched Threads