Turn on thread page Beta

I know a secret to A-levels. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Radical.

ReputationRep:
    then again...you could just do what i did and spend 3 years doing your a levels instead of 2!!

ReputationRep:
    time. you nee time abuv all else.
    can be very pertinent if you are a mautre applicant.

ReputationRep:
    All this useless theories about revision make laugh. The simple truth is that if you work hard, you will reap the rewards. And various people work hard in various ways. For example... mindmaps, use of colour and highlighters on facts and figures.

As far as Im concerned, I don't like holding a book and reading on the day of the exam. I start revision on first day of term by going over what I do in lessons everyday. I also work had on my own by looking at specification, the things I need to know and pick up a few useful books. Then, I make my own notes on each topic by looking through each of the books and selecting the required information, before sizing it down. So for me, revision is a long process that starts from day one and by that time, I know all the stuff as Iv read it over and over again and they are my own notes, so I understand them better!

Just work hard.. and don't listen to music while you revise, because whatever you say, it puts you off alot more than actually helping you focus!!!

Hope this helps...

ReputationRep:
    Cramming is good for me; I don't think I've ever revised more than 2 days in advance for any exam. And I never write out material; and I only use mind maps in Chemistry for organic pathways, which are thoughtfully produced by my teacher. This year is the first year I've done more than one past paper before an exam, so the results in August will be interesting.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by umarf786)
    and don't listen to music while you revise, because whatever you say, it puts you off alot more than actually helping you focus!!!
    ahhh, id kill myself if i didn't have music to listen to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cartleman)
    It is a myth that the "naturally intelligent" get the A's. Many people's revision is RUBBISH compared to what the brain is capable of. Learn some simple memory tricks / revision techniques. Read a book on it, seriously. With visual revision for visual learners you will learn more in less time. You wont be as stressed too.

Practise many timed past papers in exam conditions. Learn mark schemes. Other simple things like doing excercise, drinking water, good sleep, etc is widely available, google it. Start early, do something every night - even 2 minutes looking over your notes from the day is WAY better than nothing.

I left it very late to start revising (not reccommended). Im not "espeically brainy" but will get A's. All of the psychology is out there but still people will spend hours revising, writing things in over and over which may work but not as effectively as other ways. For visulas draw silly pictures - it sound daft, but you will remember an associated picture MUCH faster than writing it out 50 times. Your brain doesn't work like that. Keep doing this over time and it will stay. Once and it probably won't.

I can guarantee not everyone follows this advice. It sounds obvious, but the fact is you will benefit from it and make it easier on yourself. Its all a game thats pitched so that some people get A's and some E's. They are do-able.

You must already be clever. If you are capable of getting this far with rubbish revision like most gcse was (at least mine), how well will you do with better revision?

Your loss if you dont!
    That's all really good advice. But if I did that, it probably wouldn't help.

I don't believe in exam timetables, long weeks of revision, pictures, mind-maps, brain showers, highlighting, going over the day's work, bla bla bla (I will do a practice paper, but only if its set in school time). I love my 'non-reviser's guilt' and I work best on adrenalin which is brought on by the panic of realising that the exam is at 9am tomorrow, and that is is 9pm now.

I know I sound lazy, but I'm just trying to illustrate how some people don't fit into this revision mould that psychology and teachers are trying to ram us into. Some of us are good at cramming, we enjoy it and it serves us extremely well.

ReputationRep:
    There was me thinking this thread was about revealing all of the examiners as Manatee's

ReputationRep:
    we're in fact not that different from each other, wif the exception of a smal minority.
    memory and intelligence in populations are characterised by the bell shaped curve and most of us fall under the majority section of the bell - there is no arguing wif this, its simply tru, see.

Therefor i wuld argue that what is far more variable than individual ability to remember fings and revise well ...are the resources you ave befor revision begins.
    There's an uge amount of resources that sum may neva ave, and consequently their revision plans need to be mor complex.
    Those wif greater resources in teaching and revision aids and income to support these, these are compensate for necessary revision, although they mite kid themselves that they're different and this dont need to revise for long periods. Its an ego trip mor than anyfing else. Though of course, and i stress, i'm not denying that peeps ave different revision techniques - it wuld be superfluous to say so, wuldnt it?

There are invariably a few that are a level separate in ability, but hey man, these peeps are the ones who go and mek it in life wiffout bothering wif wasting their potential in university. i wish i wuz one of em!

Goodness - that post wil go down well in TSR wont it lol?

ReputationRep:
    It is a myth that the "naturally intelligent" get the A's. Many people's revision is RUBBISH compared to what the brain is capable of. Learn some simple memory tricks / revision techniques. Read a book on it, seriously. With visual revision for visual learners you will learn more in less time. You wont be as stressed too.

Practise many timed past papers in exam conditions. Learn mark schemes. Other simple things like doing excercise, drinking water, good sleep, etc is widely available, google it. Start early, do something every night - even 2 minutes looking over your notes from the day is WAY better than nothing.

I left it very late to start revising (not reccommended). Im not "espeically brainy" but will get A's. All of the psychology is out there but still people will spend hours revising, writing things in over and over which may work but not as effectively as other ways. For visulas draw silly pictures - it sound daft, but you will remember an associated picture MUCH faster than writing it out 50 times. Your brain doesn't work like that. Keep doing this over time and it will stay. Once and it probably won't.

I can guarantee not everyone follows this advice. It sounds obvious, but the fact is you will benefit from it and make it easier on yourself. Its all a game thats pitched so that some people get A's and some E's. They are do-able.

You must already be clever. If you are capable of getting this far with rubbish revision like most gcse was (at least mine), how well will you do with better revision?

Your loss if you dont!
    repped u....
    im a visual learner, i need more tips for cisual learning as im doing AS levels next year...
    jus PM me the tips...
    plz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    helpppppppppppp!!!!

ReputationRep:
    motivation is the key for me....
    i need it..!

pm me wif the tips!!!

(not yet, wait til the Jan exams hehe thx maccas jus kiddin i'm motivated!)

ReputationRep:
    What a good secret :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    thank you poor macca.
    wow nearly 10,000 posts in one year macca. v. impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    thank you poor macca.
    wow nearly 10,000 posts in one year macca. v. impressive.
    Write properly!! People who write 'fings' and 'peeps' are total idiots!!

ReputationRep:

Your loss if you dont!

your knowledge clearly does not extend to generalisation !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddylad)
    Write properly!! People who write 'fings' and 'peeps' are total idiots!!
    yes thats rite i'm a total idiot in your book.
    mind you - i wuld profess that peeps who label others presumptiously like that, generally 'ave been the idiots in ma book ove ma lifetime far far mor than others....like the Nazis labelling Jews for instance hmmm...
    not that you mean to do that, do you? good, all tekken back then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    yes thats rite i'm a total idiot in your book.
    mind you - i wuld profess that peeps who label others presumptiously like that, generally 'ave been the idiots in ma book ove ma lifetime far far mor than others....like the Nazis labelling Jews for instance hmmm...
    not that you mean to do that, do you? good, all tekken back then?
    The Nazis labelling the Jews isn't the same as you being a moron. And if what you're saying is true, the part about you being alive at the same time as the Nazis, then you're about 60 years old and you write like a muppet, which is just plain sad.
    It's not like I'm criticising your beliefs, I'm just saying it would be so much less trouble if you actually chose to write in English.

ReputationRep:
    And the award for stating the insultingly obvious goes to...cartleman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddylad)
    The Nazis labelling the Jews isn't the same as you being a moron. And if what you're saying is true, the part about you being alive at the same time as the Nazis, then you're about 60 years old and you write like a muppet, which is just plain sad.
    yes that meks lots of sense. even in english, wel done. i wont return this opportunity to slate you off so evilly of course.

It's not like I'm criticising your beliefs, I'm just saying it would be so much less trouble if you actually chose to write in English.
    actually no you arent saying that, you were saying i am an idiot. Now you've calmed doon a pit then please stop being so judgemental wif little fellas aving not so good english and problems wif keyboards. This is eintely different from textspeek, in case you ave been undiscerning enuff to not notice.
    i wil in turn tek your views on board and try much arder to please you.
    if you continue wif the previous view of me being an 'idiot' and a 'moron' then i suggest you try typing in a foreign language anbd i wil be forced to leav the forum voluntarily since i cannat bear the pain of being picked on, it breaks ma eart.

ReputationRep:
    The ultimate revision tip - convert notes into a song. Fantastic technique, although not appropriate for everyone. Before my recent english language exam my teacher made us re-write Bohemian Rapsody and incorporate elements of our notes into it to replace the original lyrics. I remembered the song word perfectly in my exam and if I ever forgot a theorist i'd just sing the song in my head.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.