achieving the best in mathematics Watch

DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Okay, my example was rubbish, but the formula booklet is there for reference. Maybe statistical formulae would provide a better example.
wanderer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FWoodhouse)
You don't like integration? Excuse me while I find you a donor brain to transplant...
Oh please. Its technical fiddly maths. Give me a nice bit of number theory or a proof by induction anyway. Can't wait for mathematical logic at uni, I hope its available in second year.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by desmondmac)
i will be starting my A levels in september and would really appreciate (as im sure others would too) if some advice could be offered with respects to suceeding in studying mathematics.

by suceeding i mean A's and Bs all around ( preferablt A's):p:
First thing is to think carefully as to whether you pursue mechanics or statistics along with the pure modules. Personally I found mechanics more enjoyable and easier to get stuck into; although statistics tends to be easier it is too boring at alevel to like.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
Oh please. Its technical fiddly maths. Give me a nice bit of number theory or a proof by induction anyway. Can't wait for mathematical logic at uni, I hope its available in second year.
You're going to love Analysis :p:
desmondmac
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Can People Please Get Back On The Mysteriously Disappearing Track Please....."achieving The Best In Mathematics"
FWoodhouse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
Technical fiddly maths? You, sir, have not looked at real integrals. For example, did you know that
\Huge \int_0^{\pi/2} (\ln \tan t)^n \, \mathrm{d}t = \left( \frac{\pi}{2} \right)^{n+1} |E_n|
(where En are the Euler numbers)?

Certainly, the integrals you evaluate in an average A-level exam are simple ones, but don't discount integration as a source of fascinating results and interesting methods. The integral I gave above is achieved by differentiation, Maclaurin series and the Beta and Gamma functions.
wanderer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Technical fiddly maths? You, sir, have not looked at real integrals. For example, did you know that

Certainly, the integrals you evaluate in an average A-level exam are simple ones, but don't discount integration as a source of fascinating results and interesting methods. The integral I gave above is achieved by differentiation, Maclaurin series and the Beta and Gamma functions.
Fair enough, I'll clarify - I don't like A level integration. There were actually some past STEP questions involving integrals with general functions in them that I loved. Unfortunately I couldn't do the one on STEP II this year.
Rabite
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I somewhat doubt that I, as an A-level student, have seen much if any real mathematics at all, let alone integration...
xD

But I'm not sure if I'm meant to say that to people when it might matter, since it makes me look stupid. :/
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
\Huge \int_0^{\pi/2} (\ln \tan t)^n \, \mathrm{d}t = \left( \frac{\pi}{2} \right)^{n+1} |E_n|
This result occurred to me while I was standing at the bus stop today but I considered it a trivial result as it does not include alternate Euler Numbers of finite complex K form that exist as topologically invariant.
wanderer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There was a nice STEP question about Euler numbers a few years ago as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.52%
No (286)
74.48%

Watched Threads