embarrased about my background Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I don't telling people about my background (im mixed race) b/c I'm embarrased about it

Im scared they might go 'ew thats gross'.

dad is half indian, mum is half phillipino.
robby88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
is this a joke? why would you be 'gross' if your half indian and filipino? 1.1 billion people are indian you pleb. either you're very stupid or very much lying
Dark and Lovely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ew That's Gross That You Are Ashamed Of Your Heritage...people Like You Really Piss Me Off-you Have No Real Problems
Anonymous #1
(Original post by robby88)
is this a joke? why would you be 'gross' if your half indian and filipino? 1.1 billion people are indian you pleb. either you're very stupid or very much lying
im not lying, im just insecure.

I lived in an area that used to be very white, so people saw me as different.

I'm the type of person who doesn't like standing out!!
Anonymous #1
Also for the record someone from my school did say he thought that it was a gross mix.

I am female.
robby88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
im not lying, im just insecure.

I lived in an area that used to be very white, so people saw me as different.

I'm the type of person who doesn't like standing out!!
where were you? the antarctic with polar bears for neighbours? there is nowhere in the country without some cultural/racial mix so just forget about it. no-one cares. or move to bradford/birmingham/leicester
robby88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Also for the record someone from my school did say he thought that it was a gross mix.

I am female.
well let all heil the almighty lord and his views. was he hitler by any chance?
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If people have a problem with your background then thats their problem, not yours. Its not like its anyone elses business anyway.

Try not to worry about it too much. You should be proud of where you come from, not embarassed about it. I doubt other people really notice anyway, if anyone makes any comments then just ignore it.
Ting-Ting
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wtf!? how is that a gross mix!? So, are you trying to say that all mixed races are 'gross'? A gross mix in my opinion would be the result of beastiality!

Don't be ashamed of your heritage...I can't beleive someone would say that....what would your parents think if you told them this?!
Anonymous #2
Report 12 years ago
I'm half Moroccan. I usually just say I'm half Spanish, if people ask, because there's a LOT of hate for arabs where I live. We had one of the July 7th bombers living here, so a lot of that is a kickback from that. I hate misleading people though, because although it's safer for me to say that (and I don't even LOOK arab, apart from dark hair and eyes...I'm ridiculously white), my dad died a couple of years ago and he was always very proud of being Moroccan. I feel as though I'm betraying that.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by robby88)
well let all heil the almighty lord and his views. was he hitler by any chance?
no he goes to my school hes in my year. he's meant to be about 17 but doesnt act it.
Itsallgood
Report 12 years ago
I'm half Moroccan. I usually just say I'm half Spanish, if people ask, because there's a LOT of hate for arabs where I live. We had one of the July 7th bombers living here, so a lot of that is a kickback from that. I hate misleading people though, because although it's safer for me to say that (and I don't even LOOK arab, apart from dark hair and eyes...I'm ridiculously white), my dad died a couple of years ago and he was always very proud of being Moroccan. I feel as though I'm betraying that.
Yeah, thats out of order. I think you just proud of being morrocan, or half or whatever - there is nothing wrong with it at all! Isnt Zidane morrocan or something?

Anyway, im arab and part palestinian and i never say otherwise, even though people think im some kind of white background - you just have to be proud of what you are, whatever you are.
robby88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
no he goes to my school hes in my year. he's meant to be about 17 but doesnt act it.
well why dont you kick him in the nuts and tell him to ***** off. alternatively tell a teacher hes being racist
Itsallgood
Report 12 years ago

I am female.
Can i call him a complete ****, thats bang out of order. And why do you care what an idiot like that thinks, tbh he's probably very insecure himself.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How can a mix of race be gross? It sounds an interesting mix. I can imagine that it must be difficult trying to fit in if you are insecure and feeling 'different' to others because of your heritage must make matters worse but you should take it as a positive that you stand out! I think that being different or unusual can make you feel at a disadvantage when you are young and the whole point of life seems to try to fit in as much as possible. However, when you get older I think thid will become a good thing for you. Who wants to be exactly like everyone else anyway? You must learn to be proud of who you are.
Anonymous #2
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Itsallgood)
Yeah, thats out of order. I think you just proud of being morrocan, or half or whatever - there is nothing wrong with it at all! Isnt Zidane morrocan or something?

Anyway, im arab and part palestinian and i never say otherwise, even though people think im some kind of white background - you just have to be proud of what you are, whatever you are.
I really am, I wouldn't swap the traits my dad gave me for anything in the world. I just think it's a huge shame that society's started to devolve back to this caveman mentality of "this tribe good, that tribe bad". Trust me, I've never strapped a pack of bombs to my hips and gone walkabouts, neither have I been in a Mosque (save for the funeral...I'm no faith whatsoever). I have SO little to do with the stereotype that people are getting their homes burned down for, but my bloodline will always mean I'm "guilty".

It's rubbish.
Anonymous #3
Report 12 years ago
From a genetic/evolution point of view, all "races" (although it's a very wrong term) we see today and tag as "white", "black", "asian" etc. derive from mixtures of previously existing homo sapiens with different traits.

Biologically speaking, we're all "mixed".

The problem - if there is any - is only a social construct.

As soon as you ignore it, and just... "live your life" with a sincere and funny attitude towards those who you think might harbor some prejudice... you forget your "background".

Remember, we live in the present, not in the past

Evolution rulez
Yuki Kashima
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nah i wouldn't agree with you of course not... i'm part Israeli and got bullied a lot at school because of it and even have had the odd comment about israelis being terrorists which is just classic, but i think as people get older and have half a brain they won't suspect you of anything... bad things happen in the world... race has nothing to do with it.
Anonymous #1
Ahhh! Well I'm only 16 and a bit of a tomboy, so I don't like dealing with other people's issues :p:

So when this guy said that he thought my background was gross I was a bit stunned b/c I'm not the type of person that draws attention to myself lol.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Itsallgood)

I like your mentality.

And your username too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (59)
75.64%
Leave (19)
24.36%

Watched Threads