Increasing Idles Watch

gorjus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

I am looking for help asap.I am really desperate

My driving instructor told me to get someone to increase the idle on my car and when I asked what that means he told me just to ask someone to do it for me

I have a manual,petrol car and I stall quite a lot,even when I drove for a while,sooner or later I stalled and for me I feel really frustrated at myself.I know not everyone feels the same about stalling.I havent driven for about 2 months now and I really am fed up with having to practice or start over because I am licensed.The only reason why im not driving is because of stalling and it kind of caused a fear in me to drive

I have tried exposure,medication,hypnosis and refreshment lessons.Feel like if I dont drive soon I will have to either not drive at all or start over.I am a good driver but the only problem is stalling

I cant tell my dad to drive me to my boyfriend or to a club and back thats a bit weird having him to sit with me!

If I drive today and dont stall,I dont drive again coz I fear I will stall again and its hard not to control the fear

My driving instructor told me to get someone to increase the idle on my car,heres my questions:

Would I need a professional/qualified person to do this or can my dad?

Will it help with the stalling?

Will the car take more petrol if the idle is increased?

if no one wants to help me,can I do it myself and please give me steps

I dont go out because of this and so many relationships are suffering,even the relationship with myself

Im so desperate.Stalling always fears me and its too late for me to get an auto because dad says manual is better

I wouldnt mind if i wasnt stalling!

((
ak_93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would only increase the idle if was too low / faulty from a mechanical view.

When you start your car, you can see the rev counter needle(NOT the speed, the other one.) on your dash board sit at a certain position (for example 500) and this will increase, the more you put your accelerator down.
increasing the idle would basically make the needle sit at a higher point when you are not pressing the accelerator. so yes it would use more fuel, but I don't see how it can stop you stalling. - why cant you just press the accelerator down more when you are moving off?

-just go out to a quiet area and keep practising!

If you only have the issue on one car, get someone who is an experienced driver to check that your accelerator is responsive enough. (checking that pressing it down a little but does cause the engine to go louder / increase rev's)
The Jargen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's quite easy to do, just adjust the throttle body. However I'd say just get used to your car and increase the revs.

What car do you drive by the way?
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Increasing the idle speed will help with stalling, but there are negative side effects. The car won't use more fuel when driving normally, only slightly more when idling. You're better off just learning properly, because when you increase the idle speed enough to actually see a difference, you end up with problems like the engine taking longer to spin down when you change gear, and you may well lose some engine braking.

If the car is carbed there will be an idle control screw on the side of the carburettor, screw it in a quarter turn at a time until the revs are 200rpm or so higher. Even if it's injection based with no carb, it may well have a cabled throttle, in which case you can be a bit naughty and shorten the throttle cable to raise the idle rpm slightly. If it's a newer car with a fly-by-wire throttle then there's a slight chance you can adjust the idle speed with a mechanics OBD2 computer, but probably not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (150)
24.79%
Pop (146)
24.13%
Jazz (26)