Creat0r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I started reading the first book of the series and was really enjoying it then whilst I was away for a week I ended up watching series 1-3 of the televised version. I think each book represents one series but I might be wrong.

My question is: should I buy book no4 and start reading from there, will the storyline make sense still or would I have missed too much in the book version? It will just take up too much time to read the books when I know what happened.
snowystarks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Creat0r)
I started reading the first book of the series and was really enjoying it then whilst I was away for a week I ended up watching series 1-3 of the televised version. I think each book represents one series but I might be wrong.

My question is: should I buy book no4 and start reading from there, will the storyline make sense still or would I have missed too much in the book version? It will just take up too much time to read the books when I know what happened.
Season 3 is the first half of book 3. In the UK the third book is split into two books, so maybe you could get book 3 part 2? The Red Wedding is in the second half/book so you should still understand most of the plot.
username1002982
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because some of the plot points are different or more in depth in the books, you may get confused if you try to go straight into book 4. Season 3 ends around halfway-ish through book 3 for reference though. If you're sure (taking into consideration the fact that the first 3 books are considered the best) then at least read some in depth summaries first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it really works. Especially at the point in the storyline you are in, I reckon if you don't want to read the books you are best waiting for the next series. If you try and pick up the books now you will get spoilers but because some things happen at different stages, you might get some spoilers that make you confused till you see the series which would be the worst of both worlds...

Even if you know what happens from the series its worth reading the books as you understand things better, the back story gets explained properly and also there are some things that are hinted at in the series that you don't understand unless you've read the books. Also there are a few plot lines in the series that are different from the books and even some characters.....Ros and Talisa are not in the books. Talisa is kind of based on another woman called Jeyne in the books. Arya does not serve as a serving girl for Tywin Lannister in the books, she serves Roose Bolton, so that plot line is totally different. So these are things that mean you will find some things confusing if you try to pick up the books now.

Book 3 (Storm of Swords) is split in to 2: Steel and Snow / Blood and Gold. Series 3 finishes roughly towards the end of Steel and Snow but not at the very end, you couldn't just pick it up from Blood and Gold. In fact right at the end of Steel and Snow is a major twist.

It is well worth the effort of reading the books. To be honest, once you get midway through Book 2 you will have enough momentum that you will just want to keep reading and reading.

The stage of the story where Series 3 finishes, with all the shocker stuff of the Red Wedding, is the start of the most explosive book and a half of the whole tale. From 2nd half of Steel and Snow through to the end of Blood and Gold is full of OMG WTF this cannot happen moments, so if you just watch the series I would expect the next series will be the best of the lot by far.
Creat0r
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
I don't think it really works. Especially at the point in the storyline you are in, I reckon if you don't want to read the books you are best waiting for the next series. If you try and pick up the books now you will get spoilers but because some things happen at different stages, you might get some spoilers that make you confused till you see the series which would be the worst of both worlds...

Even if you know what happens from the series its worth reading the books as you understand things better, the back story gets explained properly and also there are some things that are hinted at in the series that you don't understand unless you've read the books. Also there are a few plot lines in the series that are different from the books and even some characters.....Ros and Talisa are not in the books. Talisa is kind of based on another woman called Jeyne in the books. Arya does not serve as a serving girl for Tywin Lannister in the books, she serves Roose Bolton, so that plot line is totally different. So these are things that mean you will find some things confusing if you try to pick up the books now.

Book 3 (Storm of Swords) is split in to 2: Steel and Snow / Blood and Gold. Series 3 finishes roughly towards the end of Steel and Snow but not at the very end, you couldn't just pick it up from Blood and Gold. In fact right at the end of Steel and Snow is a major twist.

It is well worth the effort of reading the books. To be honest, once you get midway through Book 2 you will have enough momentum that you will just want to keep reading and reading.

The stage of the story where Series 3 finishes, with all the shocker stuff of the Red Wedding, is the start of the most explosive book and a half of the whole tale. From 2nd half of Steel and Snow through to the end of Blood and Gold is full of OMG WTF this cannot happen moments, so if you just watch the series I would expect the next series will be the best of the lot by far.
Cheers for the explanation, I don't mind ruining the future TV series by reading the books, books are always better IMO but I know that I'm a slow reader and quite busy. It seems too long-winded to start it all over again when I know...or have a BIG jist of what's going to happen. Will I be able to start reading book 3 from the start then and miss book 2?
Tom_green_day
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't bother reading them, they are excruciating.
MargaeryTyrell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I'm being honest, I'm finding it hard to get through a feast for crows. I like it but it kinda lacks when I compare it to the previous books
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MargaeryTyrell)
If I'm being honest, I'm finding it hard to get through a feast for crows. I like it but it kinda lacks when I compare it to the previous books
I think that is an almost universally held view. Martin seemed to lose his way a bit on books 4 and 5 (he could have really benefitted from an assertive editor). I think the screenwriters will have a bit of work to do to turn these books into a good narrative for the TV adaption.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.25%
England (108)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.44%
Germany (38)
11.88%
Spain (6)
1.88%