The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
I'm sorry, what year is it at the moment?
Unless you're taking a gap year before applying, or something, you're still in Year 11. You've not even had your GCSE results. At best you've not had your AS level results. You've got a year and a half until you're interviewed.

Please, please, please, do not start worrying about interviews now. Enjoy your Summer, and then do well in your AS levels, and if they go well -then- start thinking about applying to universities.
Reply 3
Dear lord, go get drunk or something
Haha you guys are mean- I think he means 2007 entry, not 2007 interviews. At least I hope he does...otherwise yes he does need to lighten up.
Reply 5
coldfish
I'm sorry, what year is it at the moment?
Unless you're taking a gap year before applying, or something, you're still in Year 11. You've not even had your GCSE results. At best you've not had your AS level results. You've got a year and a half until you're interviewed.

Please, please, please, do not start worrying about interviews now. Enjoy your Summer, and then do well in your AS levels, and if they go well -then- start thinking about applying to universities.

He's obviously applying for 2007 entry lol, which means his interview is this December (like he said)
Reply 6
Even so, go and worry about something more worthwhile!
Reply 7
Pharmokinetics
Well... I know it is not until December but it is not long!

I am applying for the NatSci ( Biological ) courses, so could any one shead some light based on their experience???

From the words of my friends in the U6, '' reading around the subject " is supposely the key / secret to their success ( that is of course not to mention good grades, extensive extracurricular activities, music talents and good social skills and looks....)

OK! I might go a bit over the top, but hey any materials I could get hold of myself to begin with???

PS - < I know Cambridge Uni have Published/produced a video with ex-applicants interviewing.... I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON THOSE!>

Overpreperation for the interviews is possible. Go do stuff you enjoy until November then start to panic like everyone else. Learning the art of procrastination is also an important (but overlooked) skill required to be a cambridge student it seems. The sooner learnt the better
Reply 9
Don't prepare for the interview, chill, just be yourself and if you enjoy your subject they will see. I've never prepared for an interview more than just being me and reading random stuff and watching the news, which i do anyway. chill, and your cambridge interview is often the 3rd or 4th one you have if you get your form in in late september, so you have plenty of practice!
Reply 10
crazynutter
Don't prepare for the interview, chill, just be yourself and if you enjoy your subject they will see. I've never prepared for an interview more than just being me and reading random stuff and watching the news, which i do anyway. chill, and your cambridge interview is often the 3rd or 4th one you have if you get your form in in late september, so you have plenty of practice!

Very few people will be interviewed before oxbridge, only medics and vets are likely to have interviews everywhere and only a few subjects will get interviewed (proper interview)at other universities. I know Southampton are keen on it with engineering subjects and UCL for one or two but other than that...
Pharmokinetics
Well... I know it is not until December but it is not
PS - < I know Cambridge Uni have Published/produced a video with ex-applicants interviewing.... I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON THOSE!>

Is that the video with the actors? Model interviews and all? If it is Camb will send a dvd to your school near interview time- its too early to worry about this now. If you start to 'prepare' yourself this early youl just spend months adding to the overall panic of the process and may sound like a parrot at the interview having though of possible answers to possible questions.
Step by step- you still have results day to worry about:smile:
Reply 12
To be honest I saw last years version of that DVD and laughed... it was fake and they were asking easy questions. Don't get to tense about the interview dude... it's a way away yet. This time last year I was going to go into teacher training and hadn't considered Cambridge. What happened?:confused: hmm...
Reply 13
Just do it.
Be yourself.
Try not to be too nervous. Now, that's a difficult one to achieve but at least try to bluff ease and confidence. I know my DoS said he got fed up with interviewing people shaking like leaves who weren't showing what they were really like.
Be prepared to think on your feet. Don't be thrown by a difficult question, or a "cruel" one.
Don't cry. I nearly did in one, but I told myself I wouldn't and I turned it around and it made me really determined to show her just what I was made of.
I'll be honest - at first I thought 'woah this is early for the Dec interviews! But then thinking about it, I think it's probably a good idea to start thinking about it now just so you can start reading a few books on your subject - I'm not saying heavy stuff, but if you're anything like me, you'll take ages to read a book because you're so busy with other things! I keep buying books too and reading half of them, then finding another great book and starting that.. and now I've got about 5 books I keep switching between!
If you're going to take that approach and read lots, make sure you allocate time before the interview to re-read them. Otherwise you realize, like I did, that you can barely remember Descartes' 'Meditations' and have to quickly re-read it the day before. This is especially true if you say that you love such books on your personal statement, as they are bound to ask you about them.
Any one know when was this interview video made?
Reply 17
Tbh I didn't think it was obvious they were talking about 2007 entry, I was in two minds about it.

Wait until your AS level results. How can you know how well you've done? If you really want to do something then read some books. *shrug*
Pharmokinetics
Well... I know it is not until December but it is not long!

I am applying for the NatSci ( Biological ) courses, so could any one shead some light based on their experience???

From the words of my friends in the U6, '' reading around the subject " is supposely the key / secret to their success ( that is of course not to mention good grades, extensive extracurricular activities, music talents and good social skills and looks....)

OK! I might go a bit over the top, but hey any materials I could get hold of myself to begin with???

Plastic surgery all the way.

MB

Latest

Trending

Trending