The Student Room Group

Benefit of taking Economics AS/A2 for Maths application?

Hi guys. As the title suggests, I am considering taking Economics AS/A2 (preferably AS) this year alongside A2 Further Maths. I went to uni this year studying PPE, but I am going to be dropping out due to personal reasons. I already have Maths, History, Philosophy and Ethics at A2, and Law and Further Maths at AS. I will be also taking AEA in Maths this summer. My question is, will taking Economics benefit my application at all? I suppose it'll be useful for Maths with Economics at LSE, but how about for Maths at Oxford or Imperial? Also, do you think it will be better doing Physics AS/STEP I instead, or will that not make much of a difference in improving my chances of getting an offer? Thanks in advance!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ArmenianSoldier
Hi guys. As the title suggests, I am considering taking Economics AS/A2 (preferably AS) this year alongside A2 Further Maths. I went to uni this year studying PPE, but I am going to be dropping out due to personal reasons. I already have Maths, History, Philosophy and Ethics at A2, and Law and Further Maths at AS. I will be also taking AEA in Maths this summer. My question is, will taking Economics benefit my application at all? I suppose it'll be useful for Maths with Economics at LSE, but how about for Maths at Oxford or Imperial? Also, do you think it will be better doing Physics AS/STEP I instead, or will that not make much of a difference in improving my chances of getting an offer? Thanks in advance!

STEP vs Physics AS vs Economics ? I say STEP>Physics > Economics..i guess that'd be everyone's answer.
By the way, what for are you doing AEA?
Economics at A-level has minimalistic amounts of maths. I don't see how it would aid a Maths degree. I currently am in my 2nd year of A2 and the only maths we've had to use was calculating percentage figures and knowing the formula to calculate Price Level changes from a weighted index.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Economics at A-level has minimalistic amounts of maths. I don't see how it would aid a Maths degree. I currently am in my 2nd year of A2 and the only maths we've had to use was calculating percentage figures and knowing the formula to calculate Price Level changes from a weighted index.

so how is your second year of A2 going?
Original post by Ishaaq Mohamed
so how is your second year of A2 going?

Sorry, I don't see how that should be concern to you.
Original post by hassassin04
STEP vs Physics AS vs Economics ? I say STEP>Physics > Economics..i guess that'd be everyone's answer.
By the way, what for are you doing AEA?

Thanks for the response. Economics will only be of benefit for the LSE course, so I suppose that's probably right. I am doing the AEA just for myself really. What A-levels are you doing?
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the feedback. The only reason why I am considering Economics is because the LSE course is 25% Economics and LSE/Oxford is my preferred place. I'm just weighing that up against the benefit of doing something more maths related, which obviously will be better for the other universities.
Well, Oxford, have MAT, not STEP, so if you want to apply there for maths, its best to not worry about Economics and focus on perfect maths grades and the MAT. But then again if your only doing two A2s this year, they may wonder what you have been doing with your time.
Physics is a great addition to Maths so if you really want a further A level I suggest that, although with so many under your belt I dont think its necessary.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for the response. Economics will only be of benefit for the LSE course, so I suppose that's probably right. I am doing the AEA just for myself really. What A-levels are you doing?

Yeah economics MIGHT be useful only for LSE.
I would suggest practicing STEP instead. AEA questions style is quite similar to A levels. STEP would be more beneficial plus I found it much more interesting. And I am at uni .
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Well, Oxford, have MAT, not STEP, so if you want to apply there for maths, its best to not worry about Economics and focus on perfect maths grades and the MAT. But then again if your only doing two A2s this year, they may wonder what you have been doing with your time.
Physics is a great addition to Maths so if you really want a further A level I suggest that, although with so many under your belt I dont think its necessary.

I have already sat the MAT. I am going for my interview tomorrow. The reason why I'm thinking of doing more A-levels is just to make up for me planning on dropping out, as on my UCAS form I stated that I was planning on finishing the first year at my current university. I think it's probably going to be either Physics or STEP. Thanks for the response!
Yeah economics MIGHT be useful only for LSE.
I would suggest practicing STEP instead. AEA questions style is quite similar to A levels. STEP would be more beneficial plus I found it much more interesting. And I am at uni .

Yeah, I think I'll probably do Physics or STEP. I agree with AEA being similar to A-level questions, but I don't think that STEP I is that much harder. I've tried several questions on that and it was okay to me. I suppose I can do both AEA and STEP, the more maths the better aha! Which uni are you at?
Yeah, I think I'll probably do Physics or STEP. I agree with AEA being similar to A-level questions, but I don't think that STEP I is that much harder. I've tried several questions on that and it was okay to me. I suppose I can do both AEA and STEP, the more maths the better aha! Which uni are you at?

You can do STEP II , III then which are usually harder than STEP I questions ( assuming you have tried just STEP I ). Bear in mind that quite often STEP I clashes with AEA so you might have to do 6 hours exam. And I am at Warwick.
You can do STEP II , III then which are usually harder than STEP I questions ( assuming you have tried just STEP I ). Bear in mind that quite often STEP I clashes with AEA so you might have to do 6 hours exam. And I am at Warwick.

Okay, thanks man! Ah right, hope it's going well for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest