The Student Room Group

Access to medicine. Does it work?

Hi guys!
I've always wanted to become a dentist but I've always been insecure and I never believed in myself. I only have GCSE'S . I'm doing work experience in a dental practice now and I really enjoy it. I can see myself being very happy in the future if I'll become a dentist.
A friend introduced me to Access to Higher Education course. I contacted City and Islington college about the curse and they told me that Access to Medicine can definitely get me in university to study dentistry only if I get the needed grades. However I tried to ask them more specific questions like how many students went on to study dentistry or medicine after compiling the course this year? What universities did they go to? What happens if you are not accepted for the course that you apply? The college gave me very vague answers and seem like they didn't want to answer them. This made me very sceptical about the course. I have called some universities to ask if they accept Access to Medicine and most of them said no. Other universities said that they accept it but only from 3 colleges which does not include City and Islington college
I want to know if this course actually works.
Is there anyone out there who has done Access to Medicine and got accepted by universities to study dentistry or medicine? What universities accept this course?
Can anyone help???!!! Please!!!!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by T!NA.D
Hi guys!
I've always wanted to become a dentist but I've been to insecure about myself and I never thought that I was smart enough to become a dentist. I only have GCSE'S . I'm doing work experience in a dental practice now and I really enjoy it. I can see myself being very happy in the future if I'll become a dentist.
A friend introduced me to Access to Higher Education course. I contacted City and Islington college about the curse and they told me that Access to Medicine can definitely get me in university to study dentistry only if I get the needed grades. However I tried to ask them more specific questions like how many students went on to study dentistry or medicine after compiling the course this year? What universities did they go to? What happens if you are not accepted for the course that you apply? The college gave me very vague answers and seem like they didn't want to answer them. This made me very sceptical about the course. I have called some universities to ask if they accept Access to Medicine and most of them said no. Other universities said that they accept it but only from 3 colleges which does not include City and Islington college
Is there anyone out there who has done Access to Medicine and got accepted by universities to study dentistry or medicine? What universities accept this course?

Hi,
it depends on uni. I asked Kings, they only would accept Access course in combination with 2 A levels (to the grade B). Some unis like Barts don't accept this course at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Prada:)
Hi,
it depends on uni. I asked Kings, they only would accept Access course in combination with 2 A levels (to the grade B). Some unis like Barts don't accept this course at all.

I asked Kings as well and they said that if I haven't been out of education for at least for 5 years before doing the access course, they wont even look at my application:s-smilie:. I haven't been out of education for that long...
Reply 3
Original post by T!NA.D
I asked Kings as well and they said that if I haven't been out of education for at least for 5 years before doing the access course, they wont even look at my application:s-smilie:. I haven't been out of education for that long...

Well, I have been out of education and they still want additional 2 Alevels.
That's strange:confused:
Reply 4
Well, I have been out of education for 5 years and they still want additional 2 Alevels.
:confused:
Reply 5
I was speaking to a mature student at Plymouth who did an access course, sorry I don't have much more info than this I'm going for undergrad entry.

But I know plymouth and kings accept access

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Well, I have been out of education and they still want additional 2 Alevels.

The access to medicine course from city and Islington college actually provide additional A-levels if you are interested in that.
Reply 7
Original post by ImAz
I was speaking to a mature student at Plymouth who did an access course, sorry I don't have much more info than this I'm going for undergrad entry.

But I know plymouth and kings accept access

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 8
Hi Tina,

In short - yes you can. Some dental schools around the UK will accept access to medicine.

And now the long answer...

I would strongly advise and suggest you research which dental schools accept it before applying and also their UKCAT and GCSE policies. I assure you - you do not need additional A-levels. In addition, Kings only accept applications via access from people who have been out of full time education for at least 5 years.

City and Islington do run additional A-levels! They can, space permitting, fit you onto an AS chemistry course. Hope that clears up the confusion?

My advice is sit your UKCAT good and early, then email and call every single dental school in the U.K and check their policy on all 3: access, GCSE and UKCAT. It will become apparent the best places to apply for - especially with a good UKCAT. I'd also strongly advise you contact the college and attend the open day(s) and speak to Amy/Imran in depth about your likelihood of success.

If you have any other queries, shout me!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Thank you so much for clarifying everything :smile:. I have acctauly done most of the thing that you have suggested besides taking the UKCAT test. However I'm am planing to take the UKCAT in the summer and I'm going to attend the open days at the college this January.

Have you done access to medicine at City and Islington college?
Reply 10
If it helps. I did access at Lambeth college 2012-13 and have offers to study dentistry at kings and Glasgow. Manchester also agreed they would consider me academically but ultimately never offered an interview. Newcastle are also keen on access students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T!NA.D
Hi guys!
I've always wanted to become a dentist but I've always been insecure and I never believed in myself. I only have GCSE'S . I'm doing work experience in a dental practice now and I really enjoy it. I can see myself being very happy in the future if I'll become a dentist.

Hi Tina,

I am just about to finish my access course at the manchester college. I am pleased to say that I have 4 offers for dentistry starting in September. The uni's are Newcastle, Sheffield, Manchester and King's. I do not have any A-levels so unless King's have just changed their policy I don't know why someone has been told they need them.

It is definitely possible to get offers going the access route, though I would say it is not easy. Definitely worth a go. I did a couple of years of getting necessary GCSE's up to scratch whilst working before I started the access course.(English and maths being most important).

Research is the most important thing you can do. I moved to manchester to do my access course as I felt it offered me the best chance of getting onto a BDS program at the uni's I was interested in. BE WARNED.....some access courses do not fulfill the necessary chemistry requirement for progressing to uni.....a few people I have spoken to have either had to have an extra year doing a science top-up just for 3 credits, or have only been offered the 6 year BDS with foundation (effectively doing access again!). Make sure the course you go on has 15 credits at level 3 in both biology and chemistry as part of their 60 credit make-up.

We only found out after being on our course for a couple of months that the number of people that progress to uni for medicine and dentistry isn't that high. The last 10 years or so at ours its been anywhere between 1 to 4 people for a class of 30. Though I must mention half our class is applying to pharmacy so its actually 1-4 out of 15. You really need to go in and get distinction in every exam/assignment pretty much. Don't be put off though, this is definitely achievable if you go in determined!!

I hope some of this information has helped you, I am sure as long as you get on the right access course and work hard you will get to where you want to be! If you need any more help or i've not been clear about anything please give me a shout. Good luck and chase it if it's what you want!!
Reply 12
Just a question to anyone doing or finished the with the access to medicine course at the Manchester college. If I achieved say 58 out of the 60 credits. (Distinction in 4/5 accessments in bio and chem 4/5 (merit in the other two). With distinction 5/5 with the maths/physics)... would that not be accepted at the medical schools?

I know someone mentioned that you need distinction in everything...what if you dont?
Does that mean you can not apply/get in even if you reapplied.

Also any advice.

K
Reply 13
Thank you, this information really helps me to make up my mind :smile:
Hi Greg, Congrats! I have interviews set up for access to health sciences at shelf college and access to dentistry at manchester college. I'm wanting to apply via UCAS this year for dentistry next year and try not to waste another year, one thing I am worried about though is my GCSE maths grade C and double award science CC and all other 8 GCSEs were Bs . What are your GCSEs like to get in with the access course. I'm thinking of redoing maths to try and get it up.
Original post by emmalooo12
Hi Greg, Congrats! I have interviews set up for access to health sciences at shelf college and access to dentistry at manchester college. I'm wanting to apply via UCAS this year for dentistry next year and try not to waste another year, one thing I am worried about though is my GCSE maths grade C and double award science CC and all other 8 GCSEs were Bs . What are your GCSEs like to get in with the access course. I'm thinking of redoing maths to try and get it up.

Hi,

Your GCSE's sound very similar to mine prior to retaking a few.
I had CC in science, B in English and C in maths, most of others were B.
The B in English should be fine for you, I did retake mine to get an A just because I knew I found English one of the easiest (lack of effort at school).
I then retook maths and got an A. I think you'll need this for most Uni's. I also retook biology and got an A*. Whilst this didn't cover both sciences I felt it was the most important and would show that I was capable but hadn't been motivated at school.
Your best bet is to look at all the Uni's you're interested in and see their specific entry requirements for entry via access. I'm sure that maths and English are most important though some take sciences into account (such as cardiff).
Good luck! Stick with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Thank you, it is such a shame as surely doing so well on an Access course at level 3 should show that I am capable of the GCSE maths. Thanks for your reply though. As I mentioned my GCSEs sound like yours I did a BTEC in sports at college… no a levels though and then went on to get a 1st class 78% in a non-medical degree at Leeds Met. Now I feel I'm starting again to get into Dentistry and was initially worried I was too old but that is ridiculous as I am only 23 right now and even if I graduated at 30 its really so young. Nice to hear other people have gone through the same route and it can be done! Did you retake these GCSEs before or during your 1 yr access course? I suppose they will need to be done before to get the results to then use on UCAS applications for this yr.

Thanks for the Monday motiviation!
Original post by emmalooo12
Hi Thank you, it is such a shame as surely doing so well on an Access course at level 3 should show that I am capable of the GCSE maths. Thanks for your reply though. As I mentioned my GCSEs sound like yours I did a BTEC in sports at college… no a levels though and then went on to get a 1st class 78% in a non-medical degree at Leeds Met. Now I feel I'm starting again to get into Dentistry and was initially worried I was too old but that is ridiculous as I am only 23 right now and even if I graduated at 30 its really so young. Nice to hear other people have gone through the same route and it can be done! Did you retake these GCSEs before or during your 1 yr access course? I suppose they will need to be done before to get the results to then use on UCAS applications for this yr.

Thanks for the Monday motiviation!

You are definitely not too old! I have just turned 30 and am only just about to start uni in September! 100% go for
it if you're certain it's what you want to do.

I have been working towards this for a few years so took the GCSE's a year or two before. It is a shame and its hoops you have to jump through anything you can do to get a place is not effort wasted. I'm sure it says for admission to the access course you need English and maths at B or above. They may let you take it at college though as you say you need to apply in October so time is critical. Some Uni's will take pending results so as long as you've done it you should be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hiya, I have just failed my A-levels do you think they would accept me in access to medicine in Manchester anyone has any idea? PLEASE
Reply 19
Hi what kind of access did you study at Lambeth College, also how old you were when you applied to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest