The Student Room Group

Universities that accept level 2 functional skills.

Hi all. I have a problem because I got a D in GCSE English and to make up for this I have to do a functional skills course at level 2. I am going to apply for a course in Business management however not many universities accept functional skills at level 2. I have a grade C in maths but the D in English is really holding me back. Could you guys advise on which UNI's accept functional skills.
Reply 1
Original post by menor95
Hi all. I have a problem because I got a D in GCSE English and to make up for this I have to do a functional skills course at level 2. I am going to apply for a course in Business management however not many universities accept functional skills at level 2. I have a grade C in maths but the D in English is really holding me back. Could you guys advise on which UNI's accept functional skills.

im in the same boat as you
Many Unis won't accept Functional Skills - because it really is a sign of very basic achievement in English, and they want higher than that as an indication of your ability to cope with any Uni level course.

You still have time to retake English properly and get a better overall grade. ASk your school about this and if you decide to do it, you can just list GCSE English as a 'pending' retake on your application. Offers would then be conditional on you passing it with the required grade.

Its worth doing this anyway - future job applications could also depend on this basic requirement, regardless of your degree.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Many Unis won't accept Functional Skills - because it really is a sign of very basic achievement in English, and they want higher than that as an indication of your ability to cope with any Uni level course.

You still have time to retake English properly and get a better overall grade. ASk your school about this and if you decide to do it, you can just list GCSE English as a 'pending' retake on your application. Offers would then be conditional on you passing it with the required grade.

Its worth doing this anyway - future job applications could also depend on this basic requirement, regardless of your degree.

I will find somewhere that does English GCSE retake because functional skills will not do it for me. Thats the truth of the matter really. I have nobody to blame but myself for getting the D in English but I guess I just have to find somewhere to retake it now. For anyone reading this I advise you to do the same because functional skills is simply not good enough for uni's or employers.
Original post by menor95

I really don't think any uni will accept it.
You need a C in English, even if not for uni, for life in general.
Reply 5
Middlesex university accept functional skills level 2
Reply 6
try UcLan, they just about accept anybody

Latest