The Student Room Group

Would you rather be rich and never find true love or be poor and find true love?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Poor and find true love. This thread reminded me of this quote:
BMm1K89CYAATeJ3.jpg
Original post by euphrosyne

I was referring to true love. True love is is highly likely to be long-lasting; if you know love the person "till death do us part", as in you strongly do love them and nothing can change that, then that's true love and will last forever (if you both love each other equally and put in equal efforts to make it work).

well then in that case...................ill still take he money,

ive been in love and fallen out of love so by your logic ive never found "true love" - so seeing as ive never had it and been quite content without it, ill take shed loads of cash, shag like a rabbit in heat, buy lots of stuff, jet round the world, tour exotic places, climb mountains, explore forests, swim the oceans and see the planet. Also buy all the geeky awesome stuff in japan.

You on the other hand can have your true love sit in a mouldy wet apartment and wonder if you and your partner can afford an actual meal tonight instead of instant noodles and value chicken. but HEY youve got true love to pay the rent...........nope wont pay it. HEY youve got true love to pay the leccy bill.....................ooops wont do that either. Health in case your "true love" falls drastically ill erm nope wont solve that problem. But hey you have true love to keep you warm in winter (though id sooner an electric blanket)

Me on the other hand have big mansion, fine food, no need to worry about bills or health issues (cos i can afford the very best insurance) - yeah try and convince me ive got the raw end of the deal there.

Ive never known true love (by your definition) ergo i can never miss it so hells bells ill take the cash.

Original post by will2348
I'm convinced everyone saying otherwise hasn't experienced true love to be honest.

True love is in a league of its own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

then you cant miss it as youve never had it.
Reply 82
Original post by silverbolt

ive been in love and fallen out of love so by your logic ive never found "true love" - so seeing as ive never had it and been quite content without it, ill take shed loads of cash, shag like a rabbit in heat, buy lots of stuff, jet round the world, tour exotic places, climb mountains, explore forests, swim the oceans and see the planet. Also buy all the geeky awesome stuff in japan.

You on the other hand can have your true love sit in a mouldy wet apartment and wonder if you and your partner can afford an actual meal tonight instead of instant noodles and value chicken. but HEY youve got true love to pay the rent...........nope wont pay it. HEY youve got true love to pay the leccy bill.....................ooops wont do that either. Health in case your "true love" falls drastically ill erm nope wont solve that problem. But hey you have true love to keep you warm in winter (though id sooner an electric blanket)

Me on the other hand have big mansion, fine food, no need to worry about bills or health issues (cos i can afford the very best insurance) - yeah try and convince me ive got the raw end of the deal there.

Ive never known true love (by your definition) ergo i can never miss it so hells bells ill take the cash.

:congrats:
literally
Reply 83
Original post by Genocidal
Rich.

Why does love have to be confined to a human being? Find a hobby you love and it will keep you happy and occupied for the rest of your days.

That is incredibly true. However, I am the type of person (along with other people I presume) who would rather the interaction and intimacy with another human over the involvement in a hobby(ies).
Reply 84

I'll give you that, fair play :rolleyes:

Sounds like a terribly empty life. I come from a wealthy family and have severe depression, guess what, being suicidal in a huge house ain't all that different from being suicidal in a council flat, with the exception I could possibly do it in a much more grandiose way
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Sounds like a terribly empty life. I come from a wealthy family and have severe depression, guess what, being suicidal in a huge house ain't all that different from being suicidal in a council flat, with the exception I could possibly do it in a much more grandiose way

How wealthy are you?
People always state how "money buys happiness" but I honestly think that to be utter bull****. You could have millions of money to last you centuries, but where's the happiness if you have no friends, family or lover. Money can't buy you those things.
I strongly believe that happiness is linked to love. Yes it may also be linked to success/fulfilment, but what is the point of achieving all your dreams if you've got no one to share it with?

In relation to the question, I would rather be poor and in love. Being in love gives you that feeling of security; you know there's someone out there who loves you and wants to be with you until you die, regardless of all the challenges you might face. I understand that being poor can lead to a lot of pressure and stress by trying to stay alive as you're economically in debt, but if you've got someone who you love and vice versa, then nothing should matter.
But if you're rich, and have no true love, you'll end up lonely. Money is just money. You can buy whatever you want, but they'll never give you the satisfaction that you get when someone loves you (at least not in my opinion). It's all materialistic love, and that doesn't last.

Am I just crazy or... ? :innocent:

Hello again :wink:

Not relevant as such to your thought.
But if you are rich you can bring happiness to many peoples lives by supplying the poor for example in Africa with fresh water and food. Of course not many people will do something like this with their wealth but instead build themselves up further so they can become increasingly rich. But I know people wish to do this with wealth but the people that wish to implement an idea like this are the individuals which end up being poor :/ .

Answer to your thought, I think having true love is worth more than any wealth (just like health). I think the key thing with a relation is that you can share your thoughts with your companion and also provide support to one another during hard times. Whereas generally money can't provide support (e.g family member died) or share your thoughts.
Original post by kidomo
How wealthy are you?

Fairly.
Reply 89
Be rich. Don't care about true love. Actually I do. ****, I don't know. I'll just be rich, I could buy other things besides a girlfriend.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

I guess it depends on how you define empty, i could fill my life with sights and experiance, to climb the mountains of japan or see the forests of china, go diving in the pacific ocean, cities of the world (though i much prefer wide open spaces), cultures animals. I could focus on my hobbies more. - i wouldnt consider my life empty in that regard at all.

I dont come from money - i havent come from abject poverty but certainly not from wealth. But i do see your point about depression - that is true (and ive suffered from it as well in the past though since i moved home to Ireland ive been far happier in myself and not had any serious backslide)
Reply 91
Original post by propagation
Hello again :wink:

Not relevant as such to your thought.
But if you are rich you can bring happiness to many peoples lives by supplying the poor for example in Africa with fresh water and food. Of course not many people will do something like this with their wealth but instead build themselves up further so they can become increasingly rich. But I know people wish to do this with wealth but the people that wish to implement an idea like this are the individuals which end up being poor :/ .

Answer to your thought, I think having true love is worth more than any wealth (just like health). I think the key thing with a relation is that you can share your thoughts with your companion and also provide support to one another during hard times. Whereas generally money can't provide support (e.g family member died) or share your thoughts.

That's the only exception I'd have. If I were to ever pick money over love, it would be to help other people who are less fortunate. I will never understand those selfish people who have millions of money but don't contribute some of their wealth to charity, how shameful.

But yes, love is worth way more than wealth. You will always have the comfort of knowing that someone is there for you, which money can never provide.
Reply 92
Original post by jemi38
Poor and find true love. This thread reminded me of this quote:
BMm1K89CYAATeJ3.jpg

I love this so much! So cute :love:
That's the only exception I'd have. If I were to ever pick money over love, it would be to help other people who are less fortunate. I will never understand those selfish people who have millions of money but don't contribute some of their wealth to charity, how shameful.

But yes, love is worth way more than wealth. You will always have the comfort of knowing that someone is there for you, which money can never provide.

To be fair, more wealthy people donate to charity etc. behind the scenes than most would think; they just don't publicly disclose and would rather remain anonymous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by will2348
To be fair, more wealthy people donate to charity etc. behind the scenes than most would think; they just don't publicly disclose and would rather remain anonymous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they remain anonymous and do it behind the scenes, what evidence do you have that shows they do it? I understand that some wealthy people do, i.e Bill Gates, but certainly not a lot.
lmfao id take that P.

Why not? just because you ahve wealth does automatically make you recluse with no social ability, rich people have friends and families to you know. :rolleyes:

oh and was said you dont know they dont give money to charity,

If they remain anonymous and do it behind the scenes, what evidence do you have that shows they do it? I understand that some wealthy people do, i.e Bill Gates, but certainly not a lot.

because they realise that doing it for the attention takes away from the decency of the deed. Its not a noble thing to do if you only do it for the lime light.

and what evidence do you have to say they HAVE given the money to charity and arent just lying
Reply 97
x

There is a correlation between happiness and money..
Reply 98
Why not? just because you ahve wealth does automatically make you recluse with no social ability, rich people have friends and families to you know. :rolleyes:

That was not the point of the question. Obviously rich people (not even rich, just anyone) can have friends and families. My question was specifically focusing on love or money; if you were rich with no friends/family/partner (=love) or if you were in love but had limited money (not enough to make you financially secure). That's what I was asking.

because they realise that doing it for the attention takes away from the decency of the deed. Its not a noble thing to do if you only do it for the lime light.

and what evidence do you have to say they HAVE given the money to charity and arent just lying

I have no primary evidence. But I have read articles showing that some have, however, that's besides the point.

Well when I say behind the scenes, I mean when rich people get slagged off by newspapers...But then when you actually go online and research them you find they've got a Foundation they set up and do all this stuff - it's just not well publicised/well-known.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest