The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Funny, I could find no mention of Muslim in the article.
Have you actually read the article? It doesn't even say the words Muslim or Islam anywhere in this article... You are making the assumption that this is about Islam.. If you have any evidence that this assumption is correct i would like to see this before you drag a religion through the mud that has nothing to do with this.
Reply 3
Original post by PanicInNeverland
Have you actually read the article? It doesn't even say the words Muslim or Islam anywhere in this article... You are making the assumption that this is about Islam.. If you have any evidence that this assumption is correct i would like to see this before you drag a religion through the mud that has nothing to do with this.

I am not making the assumption we all know it the article doesn't because it is a left news sources here are other sources that confirm the obvious who is as backwards to want to segregate men and women for debates

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10468115/Universities-can-segregate-men-and-women-for-debates.html

'Among the events highlighted in the Student Rights report was a gender-segregated event at UCL on March 9. The lecture, Islam vs Atheism, was organised by the Islamic Education and Research Academy (IERA)
Reply 4
Um, what is "unequal" about segregation exactly? Go ask your government to remove segregated toilets, institutions, changing area's and so on.

Islamophobes couldn't get stupider.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Snagprophet
Toilets and changing areas are the grey area. Not only that, but they serve their purpose to each person in less than five minutes. Lectures are not to be compared to changing rooms and toilets, where presumably people expose their genitals and it's probably easier to cope if you are that same gender. Maybe rapes happen in toilets. We have some places with unisex changing at places such as some pools.

I don't think we should be appeasing a bunch of medieval, desert mongerer attitudes in this country, certainly in somewhere like a lecture theatre. What next? All women wear burkas. There are countries which already do this, if you want to live in a society which does this please go to a country which already does it it is not wanted in this country thank you very much.

I could not have said it better myself Snagprophet funny how Muslims love to impose their backward ideas on us and think their culture should take precedence outrageous to set women back centuries to appease them
Original post by Ace123
I am not making the assumption we all know it the article doesn't because it is a left news sources here are other sources that confirm the obvious who is as backwards to want to segregate men and women for debates

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10468115/Universities-can-segregate-men-and-women-for-debates.html

'Among the events highlighted in the Student Rights report was a gender-segregated event at UCL on March 9. The lecture, Islam vs Atheism, was organised by the Islamic Education and Research Academy (IERA)

Right, I would like to point out that basing these views on the few things about islam that make it into the news isn't exactly fair. There is no need to insult an entire religion of millions of people based on the views of a few. I was only asking for evidence of Islam being the religion in question as your earlier post didn't provide such evidence. I would like to say that you shouldn't judge a religion based on a few people but learn about it first. I don't base my views on other religions based on the behaviour of extremists or even a certain group of that religion (not necessarily extremist). By saying that "Universities appease Muslims" you kind of make it seem that muslims in general protested for this which I don't think is fair of you to do. But you have your views on this which i respect so thank you for sharing you opinion with me, I just don't like the way you presented it.
Original post by Ace123
I could not have said it better myself Snagprophet funny how Muslims love to impose their backward ideas on us and think their culture should take precedence outrageous to set women back centuries to appease them

Now that was kinda racist to be honest... no it's actually not funny "how Muslims love to impose their backward ideas on us" Don't base your views of religion on a few people of that religion! You are making generalisations which to be honest aren't true for most muslims. Yeah some groups of muslims are extreme in their beliefs and impose their views on people but don't impose YOUR backwards view of a religion on all muslims.
Reply 8
Toilets and changing areas are the grey area.

That's not an argument.

You can't say "it's a grey area", or "it's used for 5 minutes" (time isn't a factor here), or "people can't cope with other genitals" as a counter argument, as it has no basis to even begin with. We're talking about equality here, not usefulness of a concept (which is a completely separate argument).

You need to learn how to debate and get your points across within rational reasoning

I don't think we should be appeasing a bunch of medieval, desert mongerer attitudes in this country, certainly in somewhere like a lecture theatre. What next? All women wear burkas. There are countries which already do this, if you want to live in a society which does this please go to a country which already does it it is not wanted in this country thank you very much.

Again, not an argument.

Gender segregation is not a "medieval product", it's a social concept that has been practised in many scenario's throughout history and today.

There's nothing "unequal" about it.

There are countries which already do this, if you want to live in a society which does this please go to a country which already does it it is not wanted in this country thank you very much.

Typical. I'll just ignore this unrelated, IQ dropping response.

Your issue is that, when you think of segregation, you think "Islamic" and thus your Islamophobic senses begin to tingle and you feel it's your duty to oppose it. Rather than looking at the idea itself, its practicality, usefulness and need etc. and opposing it for self-thought critical based objections.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Typical. I'll just ignore this unrelated, IQ dropping response.

I'd thought I'd try and match the criteria for the argument that student should be segregated based on gender.

Your issue is that, when you think of segregation, you think "Islamic" and thus your Islamophobic senses begin to tingle and you feel it's your duty to oppose it.

Complaints about university student sitting together have been made over a long amount of time and, yes, they were Muslims who did this, as much as the article wants to hide this, rather like the covering up of sex offender gangs who happen to be Muslims, on the basis it was 'racist' for certain people to face the consequences. It is my duty to oppose it. It's taking unwanted values and forcing them onto civilised portion of our universities.

Rather than looking at the idea itself, its practicality, usefulness and need etc. and opposing it for self-thought critical based objections.

How is it useful?
Toilets and changing areas are the grey area. Not only that, but they serve their purpose to each person in less than five minutes. Lectures are not to be compared to changing rooms and toilets, where presumably people expose their genitals and it's probably easier to cope if you are that same gender. Maybe rapes happen in toilets. We have some places with unisex changing at places such as some pools.

Single sex education is a British tradition and is still the principle by which some schools are run. Durham University only reformed its last single sex college a couple of years ago, I'm not sure if others still exist elsewhere. Private members clubs, golf clubs, working men's clubs exclude or restrict access on the basis of sex. Single sex gyms exist.

I think they are all reactionary nonsense and belong in the past, thus would not associate myself with them, but they are a part of British society. Most people don't bother to question them. Yet, when you can associate sex segregation with Islam, people really get their knickers in a twist. I find it a little hypocritical.
My own legal analysis has poured cold water on the UUK claim that side-by-side discrimination is legal

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2533749

And most of the rest of that stupid UUK guidance.

< - - - - - sick and tired of Muslim fundamentalists trying to dictate how British society should operate. If you don't like it, go live in Saudi Arabia
Reply 12
Original post by PanicInNeverland
Now that was kinda racist to be honest... no it's actually not funny "how Muslims love to impose their backward ideas on us" Don't base your views of religion on a few people of that religion! You are making generalisations which to be honest aren't true for most muslims. Yeah some groups of muslims are extreme in their beliefs and impose their views on people but don't impose YOUR backwards view of a religion on all muslims.

I am fed up with people saying if you criticise Islam you are racist. For a start Islam is not a race, a race is e.g. black, white, asian, american indian etc Islam is an ideology and we should always be free to criticise ideologies and ideas even religious ones particularly ones that are against British values

You can't say "it's a grey area", or "it's used for 5 minutes" (time isn't a factor here), or "people can't cope with other genitals" as a counter argument, as it has no basis to even begin with.

You seem to be confused. The difference between lavatories and public lectures is that lavatories encompass fundamental biological differences between the sexes, public lectures do not.

Just because you hanker for a pathetic 7th century regressive society, doesn't mean you should force that dark age view on the rest of us. There's a reason Saudi Arabia develops no technology of its own
Reply 14
So sick of hearing about Muslim extremists on this site. Why don't they just go live in the Arab League if the UK isn't good enough?
To the people who are quick to deny that islam is the religion in question, although not mentioned in the articles, you are pretending to be naive. It's very obvious. I don't live in the UK yet I know this is the case.
Original post by Ace123
I am fed up with people saying if you criticise Islam you are racist. For a start Islam is not a race, a race is e.g. black, white, asian, american indian etc Islam is an ideology and we should always be free to criticise ideologies and ideas even religious ones particularly ones that are against British values

I'm not saying you can't criticise whatever you want, I'm saying that you shouldn't extend you criticism to people who have nothing to do with this decision. I don't understand why ideologies that are against British values are "particularly" important in this but I won't criticise you for that. I'm just saying that maybe you should criticise the people that made the decision rather than the whole religion.
I don't really understand what the big fuss is. The only people that would be affected by this are the people that choose to attend events held my Muslim societies i.e Muslims, and if they're the ones that want it, why are we objecting on their behalf?
Reply 18
"ultra-orthodox religious group" and also "multi-culturalism" means 99% Muslim, can't you guys take a hint lol?
Reply 19
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I don't really understand what the big fuss is. The only people that would be affected by this are the people that choose to attend events held my Muslim societies i.e Muslims, and if they're the ones that want it, why are we objecting on their behalf?

The events can be for many things, and while include Muslims speakers/issues don't necessarily mean it's just covering issues to do with only islam.

Latest

Trending

Trending