Hello_World1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am currently looking at two options to peruse and am looking for advice on what people think who have taken a Computer Science course at University.

My first choice is for the University of Kent (Canterbury) for the 3 year full-time BSc (Hons) and am wondering what people think of this course. What did you think of this course? Did it help you with programming? (I do know some programming but would like to learn some Java and other useful languages) And finally if you have taken this course have you got a job in programming?

The second course I am looking at is the: "American Studies and Computing (With a Year in USA)" and also am looking for feedback about this course as I would like to move to USA in the future and think this would be a good stepping stone.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Macmed94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will need to check the modules, if you're really interested in programming you might be better apply for Software engineering which has more programming modules.

University of kent has high graduation salary (27k) and employment rate (94%) but if you look at for instance City university for the course Software engineering their graduation salary(29k) is higher than Kents even though Kent is more recognized than City university but because in their software engineering course they do more programming and cover much more languages than those doing Computer science, they have better salary.

Hope that helps
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Macmed94)
You will need to check the modules, if you're really interested in programming you might be better apply for Software engineering which has more programming modules.

University of kent has high graduation salary (27k) and employment rate (94%) but if you look at for instance City university for the course Software engineering their graduation salary(29k) is higher than Kents even though Kent is more recognized than City university but because in their software engineering course they do more programming and cover much more languages than those doing Computer science, they have better salary.

Hope that helps
I honestly have no idea where you get your information from in order to make such sweeping generalisations... As a rule, software engineering does not contain any more programming than Computer Science.

The reason City's grads earn more than Kent's is because a lot of people stay in the city they go to university at, so of course Londoners will earn higher than the rest of the country.
Macmed94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I
(Original post by Damask-)
I honestly have no idea where you get your information from in order to make such sweeping generalisations... As a rule, software engineering does not contain any more programming than Computer Science.

The reason City's grads earn more than Kent's is because a lot of people stay in the city they go to university at, so of course Londoners will earn higher than the rest of the country.
I highly doubt that's always the case because for Software engineering course i applied they do around 3 more modules based around programming than the CS route these include C++ and OOP programming in C++. I asked the lecturer if it would be better if i took the CS route and chose C++ and OOP as modules in the last year and he said I could but it depends on how many students pick that module, if not enough people pick I will have to pick an alternative whereas if i took the Software engineering route I would be guaranteed that i will take those three modules in year 2.

And regarding the salary, if that's the case then maybe you can explain to me how Queen mary which is a more prestigious university than City university both based in london, its ranked higher than City and it's an polytechnic univesity whereas city isn't yet the CS graduates from Queen marys on average earn 5.5k less than those who done Software engineering in City univesity.

Same could be said about King's which is also based in london, polytechnic university, ranked way higher than Queen Marys and City yet their CS graduates on average earn 3.5k less than SE graduates from City.

Both Queen Mary's and King's have better credentials than City university.

The only university that has higher Software engineering average graduate earning than City is Imperial with £34k

Here you will find the some of the statistics that I've mentioned;
Queen Marys
Kings
Citys
Imperial
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Macmed94)
I

I highly doubt that's always the case because for Software engineering course i applied they do around 3 more modules based around programming than the CS route these include C++ and OOP programming in C++. I asked the lecturer if it would be better if i took the CS route and chose C++ and OOP as modules in the last year and he said I could but it depends on how many students pick that module, if not enough people pick I will have to pick an alternative whereas if i took the Software engineering route I would be guaranteed that i will take those three modules in year 2.

And regarding the salary, if that's the case then maybe you can explain to me how Queen mary which is a more prestigious university than City university both based in london, its ranked higher than City and it's an polytechnic univesity whereas city isn't yet the CS graduates from Queen marys on average earn 5.5k less than those who done Software engineering in City univesity.

Same could be said about King's which is also based in london, polytechnic university, ranked way higher than Queen Marys and City yet their CS graduates on average earn 3.5k less than SE graduates from City.

Both Queen Mary's and King's have better credentials than City university.

The only university that has higher Software engineering average graduate earning than City is Imperial with £34k
Anecdotal evidence from one university isn't gonna cut it regarding the programming content, because software engineering has about as much to do with programming as computer science has to do with software engineering - it is a small component.

I never questioned the fact that software engineers grads earn more than CS grads though; of course they do, it's a huge part of the IT/Computing/Consulting industry that can't be outsourced for less money. All I was pointing out is that comparing graduate salaries from London universities to graduate salaries from universities outside of London is always going to skew the results you get.

Wait until you actually have any experience of a university education before you start making sweeping generalisations which are based solely on statistics that will no longer be relevant by the time you, me, and the OP graduate.
Macmed94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Damask-)
Anecdotal evidence from one university isn't gonna cut it regarding the programming content, because software engineering has about as much to do with programming as computer science has to do with software engineering - it is a small component.

I never questioned the fact that software engineers grads earn more than CS grads though; of course they do, it's a huge part of the IT/Computing/Consulting industry that can't be outsourced for less money. All I was pointing out is that comparing graduate salaries from London universities to graduate salaries from universities outside of London is always going to skew the results you get.

Wait until you actually have any experience of a university education before you start making sweeping generalisations which are based solely on statistics that will no longer be relevant by the time you, me, and the OP graduate.
I know and that could be true but I haven't checked other university course modules for both CS and SE so i could only comment on the one that i wanted to go into it but I wont deny that they will vary from one university to the other

In that case apologies for misunderstanding as i was trying to point out that software engineers graduates tend to earn more than computer science graduates on average and yes that's true

It probably is best to wait but its these statistics that we have to use that will help us make a educated choice on what universities we should go to or what courses we should pick and yes we shouldn't solely base it on statistics but rather use it as a "guide"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (438)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.7%

Watched Threads