Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE History and Geography watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you study in GCSE History and Geography? And which one is better in terms of careers?
    Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sarah :) Sarah)
    What do you study in GCSE History and Geography? And which one is better in terms of careers?
    Thanks
    I'd like to do both of them but my school doesn't offer that

But I'm doing GCSE Geography atm with edexcel

The unit I'm doing at the moment has 2 sections:

Section A, A human world...
    Topics:
    Economic Change, Settlement Change and Population Change

Section B, People Issues...
    Topics:
    A Moving world or a Tourists world

At school, we've done Population Change and A Moving World, we've now moved onto Settlement Change

The Population one is about birth/death rates, population trends, population pyramids etc
    A moving world is about voluntary/forced migration, short/long term migration, international/national, retirement migration, with case studies, population flows etc

You can have a look at the specification http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gc...s/default.aspx I'm not sure about your other question, it depends what kind of job you'd like to go into.

I'm not sure about history as I haven't done it but you could check different exam board specifications.
    My sister did it though, I think it was with edexcel and I know she did Medicine through time, I think that a lot of history students do that. Then she did something about Germany and WW2 I think.

ReputationRep:
    what you study depends entirely on your exam board/specification path. i do ocr spec b geography and it's split into 4 parts: population & settlement; economic development; rivers & coasts; and natural disasters. for history, i do SHP which includes two sections: elizabethan england and medicine through time. they're both very enjoyable but i prefer geography to history by a mile; it's much more varied and synthesises your skills in social, environmental, economic, grammatical and mathematical knowledge, whereas history is largely based on remembering a ton of facts and dates and writing a LOT of essays. i don't think it makes much difference at GCSE level which you want to choose, unless of course you want to go into either history or geography in the future, in which case taking one or the other'd be pretty sensible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I did both. Ultimately, Universities and Employers are unlikely to look at your individual GCSEs, so neither will 'help' you by themselves. However, I'd strongly recommend both in terms of raising your awareness about the world. I personally preferred Geography, but if you can do both I'd go for it.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the exam board. I do edexcel for history and aqa for geography. I find history takes a lot more work as we have 3 exams to revise for and a controlled assessment whereas in geography we have two and a controlled assessment. Geography's aqa boundaries are really low (for now anyway) so just under 3/4 of the answers right is an a* and a b is just over half the marks...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got A*s in both GCSE Geography and History. History is the more interesting course.

ReputationRep:
    I got A*s in both GCSE Geography and History. History is the more interesting course.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Doing History GCSE and going for an A/A* at exams. We just did the topic about Industrial Unrest in UK and after the Christmas holiday we're gonna do about the Vietnam war. Exam board is Edexcel here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)

how did you revise for history? if you don't mind saying. there's just too much content :eek:

ReputationRep:
    In terms of career opportunies I'd say history is definitely the most helpful but god it's hard! However, be aware that most schools do not require you to have take history at gcse to take it A level so that is always something to take into consideration. History is definitely very interesting though! I have no idea what geography is like as I didn't take it but I have mixed views from people I know

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I am a year 11 and I study both History and Geography at GCSE. Depending on exam board ( I do AQA Geography and OCR History), the course will vary. To be honest it is personal; however geography is probably easier but is quite boring in comparison to history!

In Geography we study coasts, development gap, tourism, living world, ice on the land and changing urban areas. It's alright if thats your sort of thing but the controlled assessments horrible! Somehow I managed an A* but it felt so incohesive.

In History we study the Road to War (Treaty of Versailles, League of Nations, Collapse of Peace), American stuff (economic boom of 1920's, racism etc...-I'm still studying this) and then also womens suffrage, Liberal reforms and home front. The controlled assessment is an essay which you prepare for and collaborate sources which is quite nice if you like to write essays and I got an A* on that too! Woo!

Anyway... If you can't take both, I would go with history. Even though I am much better at Geography than History, I am not even considering continuing geography to A level because it is a bit boring really; whilst history is trickier but really interesting. Don't worry too much careers wise, both are credible subjects; however history seems to be seen more as a hardcore academic subject to universities!

Good luck with your choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeBx)

how did you revise for history? if you don't mind saying. there's just too much content :eek:
    There's really not. I found you needed a basic overview and just had to know the analysis really well as opposed to facts. I didn't revise for GCSE History, apart from source technique.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AlphaNick)
    I do History/Geography OCR B. I am in Year 11.

Geography (OCR B):
    Population & Settlement - this is all about migration, settling, how population changes over time, etc.
    Rivers & Coasts - this is about landforms and processes at the coast and in river basins.
    Economic Development - this is associated with the quality of life and sustainability of developing.
    Natural Hazards - this is about flooding, typhoons/cyclones, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.

History (OCR B):
    International Relations - the inter-war years - this topic is about international affairs between 1919 and 1939. The topics include: Peace Treaties (1920), League of Nations and the Causes of WW2.
    German Depth Study - this covers roughly from 1919-1945, this has topics including the Weimar Republic, Hitler's Rise to Power and Life in Nazi Germany.
    British Depth Study - this covers (for us) 1939-75, and involves source analysis related to Youths, Women and Immigration.

Overall, I would say the History course is more interesting and offers a better range of skills... But if you can, it would be very good to take both - don't be concerned with the 'workload' at this point in time - you will be able to fulfil both.
    I did this exact combination. Thoroughly enjoyed both! I found History more challenging but neither were overwhelming (although History Paper 2 is a pain).

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I actually chose History GCSE and I'm going to be doing it for A-level, but both are very competitive and universities love it.

I went on a Geography trip in year 9 and the people at that trip talked about why you should study geography for the future. If your good at chemistry or you know chemistry better than any other sciences, geography is for you. You also need to have some common sense. Geography is actually not at all hard at university if you put the work in. A former girl from my school is actually studying Geography at Cambridge, she got an A* at it in A-levels. Geography tends to be a lot more work, but it's definitely interesting and you can learn a lot from it.

History is a very respected subject by universities all around. My teacher went to Oxford university because of his passion for history. If your not good at essay writing, you shouldn't choose it. What I mean by essay writing is that you need to evaluate your knowledge. GCSE History is basically memorizing, if you know the facts, you can get an A* in History. (Still an A grade sadly).
    I love History because of the content, the lessons are really boring though but I put up with it. History does have its ups and downs.
    I still can't believe Hitler was a real person.
    I do AQA History GCSE, and its actually not at all complicated, if your good at timed essays, your good at memorizing, your good at evaluating and remembering dates and specific detail, GCSE History is for you. You should definitely choose it if your good at English, but if your not that good, don't worry, that didn't put me off. You just need to be good at your english SPaG. Hope I helped. Message me if you want to know more because I take history and I know a lot about the content, the examiners and the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Hi, I actually chose History GCSE and I'm going to be doing it for A-level, but both are very competitive and universities love it.

I went on a Geography trip in year 9 and the people at that trip talked about why you should study geography for the future. If your good at chemistry or you know chemistry better than any other sciences, geography is for you. You also need to have some common sense. Geography is actually not at all hard at university if you put the work in. A former girl from my school is actually studying Geography at Cambridge, she got an A* at it in A-levels. Geography tends to be a lot more work, but it's definitely interesting and you can learn a lot from it.

History is a very respected subject by universities all around. My teacher went to Oxford university because of his passion for history. If your not good at essay writing, you shouldn't choose it. What I mean by essay writing is that you need to evaluate your knowledge. GCSE History is basically memorizing, if you know the facts, you can get an A* in History. (Still an A grade sadly).
    I love History because of the content, the lessons are really boring though but I put up with it. History does have its ups and downs.
    I still can't believe Hitler was a real person.
    I do AQA History GCSE, and its actually not at all complicated, if your good at timed essays, your good at memorizing, your good at evaluating and remembering dates and specific detail, GCSE History is for you. You should definitely choose it if your good at English, but if your not that good, don't worry, that didn't put me off. You just need to be good at your english SPaG. Hope I helped. Message me if you want to know more because I take history and I know a lot about the content, the examiners and the syllabus.
    Personally, I thin Geography is better in terms of careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3m1lyx)
    I am a year 11 and I study both History and Geography at GCSE. Depending on exam board ( I do AQA Geography and OCR History), the course will vary. To be honest it is personal; however geography is probably easier but is quite boring in comparison to history!

In Geography we study coasts, development gap, tourism, living world, ice on the land and changing urban areas. It's alright if thats your sort of thing but the controlled assessments horrible! Somehow I managed an A* but it felt so incohesive.

In History we study the Road to War (Treaty of Versailles, League of Nations, Collapse of Peace), American stuff (economic boom of 1920's, racism etc...-I'm still studying this) and then also womens suffrage, Liberal reforms and home front. The controlled assessment is an essay which you prepare for and collaborate sources which is quite nice if you like to write essays and I got an A* on that too! Woo!

Anyway... If you can't take both, I would go with history. Even though I am much better at Geography than History, I am not even considering continuing geography to A level because it is a bit boring really; whilst history is trickier but really interesting. Don't worry too much careers wise, both are credible subjects; however history seems to be seen more as a hardcore academic subject to universities!

Good luck with your choice!
    Wow I'm so sorry I forgot i started a thread and only found out that people answered it now! Even though this is almost three years late, thank you so much! I ended up choosing history, on the AQA spec, and I completely regret the choice Thank you though xx

ReputationRep:
    Wow I'm so sorry I forgot i started a thread and only found out that people answered it now! Even though this is almost three years late, thank you so much! I ended up choosing history, on the AQA spec, and I completely regret the choice Thank you though xx
    Why do you regret history? I'm also currently choosing between history and geography...

ReputationRep:
    I do Geography and the spec I do (WJEC Legacy) consists of:

Unit 1 - Core Geography
    Section A - A Physical World
    Water (so this is about rivers and floods)
    Climate Change
    Living In An Active Zone (Volcanoes, earthquakes, plate tectonics, minimising the risks)
    Section B - A Human World
    Changing Populations (birth rates, death rates, future changes, managing populations)
    Globalisation (interdependence of countries, businesses, cultures etc)
    Development (economic, social etc)

Unit 2 - Options Geography (the ones I do are in bold)
    Coasts
    Weather and Climate
    Living Things
    Tourism
    Retail and Urban Change
    Economic Growth

Unit 3
    Fieldwork and Geographical Enquiry Skills
    Decision making exercise based on data

My friends all do History and they study: WW2, USA, Russia, Germany, possibly WW1 but idk. My cousin does anglo-saxons and the such, so History varies widely from school to school. Geography is quite similar, no matter what topics you choose to do or exam board.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by lucreziag)
    Why do you regret history? I'm also currently choosing between history and geography...
    I have to say the choice between history and geography is a very personal one. Each course is different and each person has different topics which they would prefer to study from each.
    Personally, when I was making my options subjects I preferred Geography, but the GCSE geography course was all the stuff I found boring, but the GCSE History course was all stuff I find really interesting.
    So make sure you find out which options for the courses you are doing, as this could easily change your mind.
    Both have a lot of memorisation. For geography it's more facts, keywords etc. whereas for history it's dates, events etc. so it depends what you prefer learning about and memorising.
    History has a lot of source work which if you hate then I wouldn't advise taking history.
    For me, history was definitely the right choice. I love all the topics we learn about and the dates remain naturally in my mind without much effort. Geography, despite me preferring it lower down the school would have been a nightmare with all the coursework taking a lot longer than the history coursework (though you won't have to worry about that as much) and loads of case studies to learn (18 on my school's specification, up to 26 or so on other specifications).
    Basically, it's all down to you! Research your course then make your choice!
    HTH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    I have to say the choice between history and geography is a very personal one. Each course is different and each person has different topics which they would prefer to study from each.
    Personally, when I was making my options subjects I preferred Geography, but the GCSE geography course was all the stuff I found boring, but the GCSE History course was all stuff I find really interesting.
    So make sure you find out which options for the courses you are doing, as this could easily change your mind.
    Both have a lot of memorisation. For geography it's more facts, keywords etc. whereas for history it's dates, events etc. so it depends what you prefer learning about and memorising.
    History has a lot of source work which if you hate then I wouldn't advise taking history.
    For me, history was definitely the right choice. I love all the topics we learn about and the dates remain naturally in my mind without much effort. Geography, despite me preferring it lower down the school would have been a nightmare with all the coursework taking a lot longer than the history coursework (though you won't have to worry about that as much) and loads of case studies to learn (18 on my school's specification, up to 26 or so on other specifications).
    Basically, it's all down to you! Research your course then make your choice!
    HTH
    Hi, thanks. Lots of people are telling me we have to know many case studies for geography GCSE, but what does this entail/mean? Just the dates and some basic facts for each case study or an in-depth look?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.