Whats the normal MOT price? Watch

Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
My MOT expired yesterday so need to quickly get it done, just wandering what price i should be expecting to pay?
Breadcake
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
About £40ish. Of couse with any work that needs to be done on top of that.
Sync
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, about £40 is right. Remember though, there's no longer any free re-test, so make sure it passes first time around....
Cortez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sync)
Yeah, about £40 is right. Remember though, there's no longer any free re-test, so make sure it passes first time around....
Seriously?! My dad just said that they would re-test it for free but then he hasnt had to have an MOT for ages so that will explain it.
Breadcake
Report 12 years ago
Got mine done last month and i got a free re-test as long as the work was done at that garage.

Just check before you book it in.
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It used to be the case that if the car failed on something, if you got the garage that did the MOT to do the repair work, then they would give it a free re-test. However, ever since the new computer system came in, this is not the case - no free re-tests anymore!
Cortez
Rep:
?
Well im gonna get my dad to look at it later and see if there is anything that needs doing before it goes in and then try and find somewhere to do it for tomorrow.
Breadcake
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sync)
It used to be the case that if the car failed on something, if you got the garage that did the MOT to do the repair work, then they would give it a free re-test. However, ever since the new computer system came in, this is not the case - no free re-tests anymore!

Had mine done under the new system and still got the free retest.
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, some garages still do a free re-test, but they now seem to be in the minority. The new computer system means the tests take way longer, so most garages can't afford the time to do a free re-test....
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Depends on the garage, a lot of garages still do a "free retest" if they do the work IME, otherwise charge £15-25 for the restest. THere never was such thing as a "free retest" as a MOT thing, it was just individual garages trying to win custom. Now however, they need to log onto the system for just aslong either way hence why it's not as easy as it used to be. I pay £35 and £15 for retest in Nottingham, my second place is £35 or £25 for retest, both are free retests if they do the work. Such a shame if you fail on things like wiper blades so important you check the minor things really well!
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Another thing to consider is to take your vehicle to the local council run MOT station if there is one - they don't offer servicing/repairs so won't make up fake faults just to get you to have them fixed in their garage. By law, since they are a testing station they have to allow members of the public to have their car tested there.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yep good advice but AFAIK - they do charge the "basic" price of £45 or whatever it is, before the computer system came in, we did it a few times I think.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah - and presumably they'd charge you full price for retests since they don't do remedial work to get it through.

Worth it maybe if your car is on its first few MOTs (when there shouldn't really be anything wrong with it anyway if you've been treating it right), if you service yourself and are confident it will pass or if you give it a thorough going over before - checking obvious things like lights, tyres, wipers, glass, etc.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yep, that's what I intended to add but had something else to deal with
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I swear my local garage is using a fake car for the computer MOT test, even though the thermostat is shot and its belching out of fuel it still past the emissions with flying colours.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Well i downloaded a check list of the net and everything seems fine apart from ...

One of the back tyres has loads of crakcs/splits in it - getting that changed in the morning hopefully.

Not sure about this but the front number plate has a crack in it. Check list said it has to be in good condition, numbers easily read and secured well ... does a crack fail the good condition bit?
Cortez
Rep:
?
Got my new tyre and got a new number plater ..... with no holes.

MOT is at 1300 and it better pass.
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My car just went down for its MOT. The bloke from Land Rover drove it down to the test centre.....where it promptly broke down. So now they have to try and fix it at the test centre (which has no equipment/parts), and it has missed its slot for today!! If it doesn't pass i'm screwed - it's doing a 500 miles round trip next week.
Cortez
Rep:
?
I hope you have better luck than me! My car failed

Front discs and pads need changing, nearside and offside suspension component mounting is excessively corroded and nearside front constant velocity joint gaiter is insecurley mounted.

£150.87 including labour (2 hours @ 37.5 ex vat :/ ) and VAT for everything but the corrosion bit. Corrosion bit sounds expensive but they couldnt give me a price for that as they havent seen it yet (MOT was done off site).

Hopefully gonna get the brake stuff off someone i know and my dad said he can fit that - that will save the huge amout of labour charges.

Looks like im back to cycling for the next week or two .. it better not rain
addagrrr8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i need to sort out my rear brake pipes!!

normally an easy job but bmw decided to put the pipes above the fuel tank!!!!!!!!!! aaarrrggghhhh...

im gonna reroute the new ones around the tank so i dont have to take off the tank!! good lil think gettin tips from the owners club lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (207)
18.48%
No (681)
60.8%
Not really bothered about them (232)
20.71%

Watched Threads