good unis am thinking of

bath
oxford brooks
nott
demontfort
westminister
sheff
please advise am kinda stuck...........i need a uk perspective

Of these Nottingham is probably the best, followed by Bath then Sheffield. The other three are not particularly good.
Reply 2
kaneael
am new in the UK would like to continue with my architecture,which r the
good unis am thinking of

bath
oxford brooks
nott
demontfort
westminister
sheff

My mate applied to Bath, Nott, Leeds, Newcastle, Cardif and somewhere else that I can't think of! So why not try those? Oxford Brookes is not brilliant for architecture (ppl go there becuz it's oxford!) and demontfort nd westminster aren't highley regarded either.

What subjects r you doing and what are your predicted grades?
Reply 3
Hoofbeat
My mate applied to Bath, Nott, Leeds, Newcastle, Cardif and somewhere else that I can't think of! So why not try those? Oxford Brookes is not brilliant for architecture (ppl go there becuz it's oxford!) and demontfort nd westminster aren't highley regarded either.

What subjects r you doing and what are your predicted grades?

I too have a friend who applied to Notts, Newcastle, Bath, Liverpool, Cardiff and Leeds!!! He's got Notts as his firm and Newcastle as his insurance!!! :smile:
Out of all the Architecture courses, I reckon Cambridge is the best! (but maybe i'm biased cos i've got an offer :wink: )
But, Bath is REALLY good. The course is brilliant, the campus is nice, the city of Bath is great, and u can do a year out in a european University! I've pit it as my insurance.
Notts is good too, I've heard
Reply 5
I know someone who has applied to an arch degree to nott,camb,bath and some others and got ABC in A-Levels, The thing is he got accepted to nott, without ever doing and art subject except d&t graphics in GCSE and getting a B.(he also sent a decent portfolio)
what iam wondering about is that is it possible to be accepted for an arch degree with minimum qailification of an art subject and a decent portfolio (oh yeah and an A in a-level maths)
Reply 6
Mr.skee
what iam wondering about is that is it possible to be accepted for an arch degree with minimum qailification of an art subject and a decent portfolio (oh yeah and an A in a-level maths)

this isn't really going to help you, but i got accepted at notts (AAB) and ucl (BBB) for arch and got rejected from cambridge for it. This post may be of no help because i do Art, maths physics and further maths AS with predicted A's (i also applied and got offers from imperial AAB, Bristol CCC and Notts AAB for mech eng ).

Out of the three unis i applied to i had interviews at cambridge and ucl. I thought Nottingham didnt want to see my porfolio as i had 100% at GCSE and As, however another girl i knew got the same offer as me and no interview and she didnt do gcse art but does do A level DT. Don't bother applying to Cambridge if you are creative, they don't seem to value it an ounce (my teachers opinion as well as mine). So you would probably be alright applying here as some of the other people had barely any work to show. I personally don't understand how anyone can want to become a serious architect and have not been interested enough in taking art somewhere along the line, even not at GCSE. However I do understand you may have been put off taking it for reasons that i dont know about, but i would expect you have kept it up as a serious hobby (do take into consideration I am a frustrated artist here and the lack of creativity and style in many new developments really upsets me and also that I am only a 17 year old A level student not an admissions tutor)

The interview at UCl was a lot of fun and I would have chosen here to study if i had chosen to do architecture. This is a very creative course and would appeal much more to the artist rather than the property developer minded person. In the end i decided taking an architecture degree would be pointless for me as deep down I don't really want become an architect, it was just the chance of doing something art based while still pleasing my parents. I was put off hugely by talking to practising architects who all seemed very disillusioned, with not one encouraging me into the profession one even told me mech eng was a much better thing to study. Ultimately I will always carry on with my art as it is my passion and would ultimately it would become very depressed if I was prevented from doing my art. I would love to become an artist but dont see it as a viable profession for the moment, however I am working on a commision at the moment so maybe this will lead me else where.
lidybetf

The interview at UCl was a lot of fun and I would have chosen here to study if i had chosen to do architecture. This is a very creative course and would appeal much more to the artist rather than the property developer minded person.

Do UCL interview everyone for architecture? Is it really true that they have a thousand applicants for each place or something?
Reply 8
vincent gallo
Is it really true that they have a thousand applicants for each place or something?

It may be high but its certainly not THAT high. :biggrin:
I think its actually thousand applicants for a hundred places or so :smile:
Reply 10
vincent gallo
I think its actually thousand applicants for a hundred places or so :smile:

That sounds a bit more feasile... :biggrin:
Portsmouth(despite being an ex-poly) is also rated very highly, for architecture.

Bath and Cambridge are supposed to be good, but I've heard many architects don't actually consider their architecture courses to be the beesknees, and Nottingham is no longer meant to be as good as it once was.
my friend's dad is the president of RIAS (basically the scottish version of RIBA) and he reckons the cambridge course isnt fantastic (though having said that just having gone to cambrige will ensure u have no employment difficulties) and as far as i know they dont do a masters course to exempt you from professional part II examination. i got rejected from cambridge (pitiful folio as id only just started art and also did no reading) and glasgow school of art but have a place at notts that was unconditional. I'd seriously recommend applying to the glasgow school of art for architecture though. its internationally reknown (cos its the rennie mackintosh school of arch) and has a great reputation. had i got in id definately have gone to the GSA you'd end up a far better architect at the end of it imo (full of cambridge applicants at the GSA when i went for interview). they interview pretty much everyone within reason and if you do some reading (i regret not having done) and have a decent portfolio ull get in. anyway, its something for you to think about
Reply 13
kaneael
am new in the UK would like to continue with my architecture,which r the
good unis am thinking of

bath
oxford brooks
nott
demontfort
westminister
sheff

Why bother? Do you really want to spend your life designing extensions which is as far as most Architects get?

Become a QS instead. More money. More jobs.
Howard
Become a QS instead.

Wouldnt it be more fun designing extensions?
gah quantity surveyors...
Dancin Bill
gah quantity surveyors...

Haha. Congratulations on getting into Nottingham btw. I know alot of people at GSA who were rejected by Nottingham, Bath, Sheffield etc. Is ECA any good for Architecture?
thanks.i think the eca is pretty good. edinburgh's my home town and i would definately recommend people come study here cos its a fantastic student city. i personally didnt apply to the eca simply because i felt i needed to leave home. didnt consider my offers to other scottish unis (edinburgh U and dundee U) simply because the world is bigger than scotland and i felt i needed to study elsewhere. nontheless they are good places to go still

Latest

Trending

Trending