The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Will this put me at a disadvantage? Bristol Uni.

I have received an email about an applicant open day at Bristol University for prospective Electrical Engineering undergraduates.

It states "all applicants are expected to attend".

However, you can choose to "Not attend at all".

I live in Northern Ireland so it would be quite expensive to travel there and back just for an afternoon at the university.

Will I be at a big disadvantage if I don't attend this? :frown:
Reply 1
Cant you phone the uni and explain the situation if you do that it shouldnt put you at a disadvantage as you have told them inadvance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Tall
I have received an email about an applicant open day at Bristol University for prospective Electrical Engineering undergraduates.

I live in Northern Ireland so it would be quite expensive to travel there and back just for an afternoon at the university.

Puhh, it's hard to say but hey, there are plenty of international applicants who definitely cannot attend as well, I don't think the uni would consider this as something negative! You're far away, you just can't go there...
You are an applicant outside of England, so this could be an excuse. But on the other hand, you have the status of a domestic student, haven't you?
I mean it's all British.

Anway, you should contact the uni to explain your situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Simply phone or email the Admissions Office to explain why you won't be attending.

Many people can't attend this sort of event for quite understandable reasons - distance, illness, family circumstances etc. So long as you make contact and explain the reason for your absence, stressing you are still keen on that Uni, it wont put you at a disadvantage.
If it says that "all applicants are expected to attend" then it does suggest that your attendance is important, and indeed that admissions decisions could be based upon it.

So, I would suggest that you send a very apologetic email saying that you cannot afford to visit Bristol just for an afternoon because you live in NI and it would cost you £x, but that you are still very keen on the university and hope to receive an offer.
Reply 5
Mmm I think the email suggests it is important.

How much would it cost to travel over?
Reply 6
Also could you ask what the afternoon would include?
There may be a way around it - what about if there are talks etc ask them to record it in some way?

It seems a lot of large organisations do this to save on carbon footprints etc!
Original post by Mr Tall

Ring up someone in EE and ask if there will be any recording of the event or paperwork, or if you can arrange to talk to someone, because you can't attend the event. It won't make any difference to the technicalities of your offer, but it is meant as an opportunity for you to find out a lot more about the department and what is on offer, speak to academics, speak to students etc. So no big disadvantage, especially if you already know you are going to make the right decision and firm Bristol :wink:
I had the same problem as you, I live in NI and was invited to a CompSci visit day. I ended up going though. It wasn't overly expensive, I paid £45 for a return flight from Belfast International to Bristol with EasyJet, then £11 for the return bus ticket between the airport and the university. (Plus £1.50 for another bus which you won't need to get unless you constantly get lost like I do...)

With the insane price of train tickets in the UK, I probably paid less overall than some English/Welsh/Scottish applicants. The stress and hassle of traveling was the bigger pain. I really enjoyed the day too, I got a great feel of the department and met some cool people. I'm sure they'll understand if you email them and explain your situation though.
Reply 9
I didn't even get an interview or visit the university before I got my place. So don't worry too much, just show your keen.
Reply 10
Original post by WowSuchStudent
I had the same problem as you, I live in NI and was invited to a CompSci visit day. I ended up going though. It wasn't overly expensive, I paid £45 for a return flight from Belfast International to Bristol with EasyJet, then £11 for the return bus ticket between the airport and the university. (Plus £1.50 for another bus which you won't need to get unless you constantly get lost like I do...)

With the insane price of train tickets in the UK, I probably paid less overall than some English/Welsh/Scottish applicants. The stress and hassle of traveling was the bigger pain. I really enjoyed the day too, I got a great feel of the department and met some cool people. I'm sure they'll understand if you email them and explain your situation though.

Did your parents go with you? Are there many parents there? thanks
Original post by Mr Tall
Did your parents go with you? Are there many parents there? thanks

I went alone. Maybe about 20-30% of people brought their parents? It was kind of hard to tell.

At least for the CompSci visit day, after the initial talk, all the applicants and parents went upstairs for lunch, then 30 minutes later all the parents went back to the lecture room to ask the staff questions while we did our group interviews at the lunch tables. No idea how it works for the EE visit day.

Honestly, there's no need to bring your parents. I recommend you just go by yourself and talk to the other applicants. I bet you'll have more fun that way :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending