The Student Room Group

HELP: What Graphics Calculator?

Hey,

I am in Year 12, I do Maths and Further Maths as two options and in Further Maths we recently came across : Rational Graphs (y=1/x, but more complicated in FP1 MEI). My teacher said that a graphics calculator could help. Does anyone know a good graphics calculator at a reasonable price which will help me in Year 12+ 13? (I prefer display like the new Casio Scientific display, as you can mainly type in the equations you see).

I would recommend this calculator amzn.to/1hNhGJN
Reply 2
The Texas Instruments Nspire is the best for plotting graphs. It's a high resolution display so things look very, very clear whereas on some of the cheaper Casio ones, they look all blocky and I find that rather pointless. It's worth mentioning though that there are two versions, the Nspire and the Nspire CAS. The latter is NOT allowed, nor is any calculator with some kind of CAS (Computer Algebra System) functionality. Any calculator which is capable of symbolic algebraic manipulation can get you disqualified.

The only problem with the Nspire is that whilst it excels in the graphing department, it's a little lacklustre for basic things. For example, it won't give you answers in terms of pi, whereas a bog standard Β£10 Casio scientific calculator would. It's best in my opinion to use a combination of the two.

I've heard good things about the Casio PRIZM calculators (they have a different name in this country, I think it's CG10). As far as I know, they combine the nice smooth graphing of the Nspire with the natural display usually enjoyed on more basic Casio calculators.

But, there's a calculator you should have before you even consider going graphical and that is the Casio FX-991ES or FX-991ES PLUS. It's a scientific calculator, available for about Β£12 last time I checked and it basically does everything an exam legal calculator can ever do, sans graphs. It will handle matrices, vectors, solve systems of equations up to three variables, quadratics, cubics, numerical differentiation, definite integration and complex numbers. It's really amazing for checking answers.
Original post by Jarred
The Texas Instruments Nspire is the best for plotting graphs. It's a high resolution display so things look very, very clear whereas on some of the cheaper Casio ones, they look all blocky and I find that rather pointless. It's worth mentioning though that there are two versions, the Nspire and the Nspire CAS. The latter is NOT allowed, nor is any calculator with some kind of CAS (Computer Algebra System) functionality. Any calculator which is capable of symbolic algebraic manipulation can get you disqualified.

The only problem with the Nspire is that whilst it excels in the graphing department, it's a little lacklustre for basic things. For example, it won't give you answers in terms of pi, whereas a bog standard Β£10 Casio scientific calculator would. It's best in my opinion to use a combination of the two.

I've heard good things about the Casio PRIZM calculators (they have a different name in this country, I think it's CG10). As far as I know, they combine the nice smooth graphing of the Nspire with the natural display usually enjoyed on more basic Casio calculators.

But, there's a calculator you should have before you even consider going graphical and that is the Casio FX-991ES or FX-991ES PLUS. It's a scientific calculator, available for about Β£12 last time I checked and it basically does everything an exam legal calculator can ever do, sans graphs. It will handle matrices, vectors, solve systems of equations up to three variables, quadratics, cubics, numerical differentiation, definite integration and complex numbers. It's really amazing for checking answers.

Currently, I have a Casio fx-83GT PLUS, would that do anything else except the normal functions?
Original post by nebelbon
I would recommend this calculator amzn.to/1hNhGJN

I totally agree I have this calculator and its really good for its price XD
Reply 5
Original post by ssargithan
Currently, I have a Casio fx-83GT PLUS, would that do anything else except the normal functions?

The 991ES is basically the 83GT on hyperactive mode. It works very similarly, but with a few extra functions. You'll never need them, the calculator is not a substitute for knowing the subject, but it's absolutely amazing for checking answers or speeding up certain intermediate calculations.

Numerical differentiation, integration with limits, summations, complex numbers, quadratics solver and the cubics solver are useful in pretty much any exam for checking answers.

Then there are a few other things which are handy. The complex number capabilities are useful in the final year of further maths, as are the 3 variable simultaneous equations solver and matrix calculations (for multiplying, inverting and finding the determinant).

I found that it helped me identify a lot of crippling mistakes in a good number of my exams.
Reply 6
I am using TI-84 Plus from Texas Instruments. Graphs are not perfect since the display has approximately 10 pixels and the calculator is so heavy you could use it for self-defence, yet I can't imagine my life in IB without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Instruments-TI-84-Graphing-Calculator/dp/B0001EMM0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386801168&sr=8-1&keywords=ti-84+plus
I would agree with Jared and use a scientific calculator too. I used both a scientific and graphical for further maths; i wouldn't say a graphical is necessary for standard maths. The scientific will write answers in terms of Pi, its easy to use for fractions and gives exact values such as root 3 etc.
Original post by Jarred
The 991ES is basically the 83GT on hyperactive mode. It works very similarly, but with a few extra functions. You'll never need them, the calculator is not a substitute for knowing the subject, but it's absolutely amazing for checking answers or speeding up certain intermediate calculations.

Numerical differentiation, integration with limits, summations, complex numbers, quadratics solver and the cubics solver are useful in pretty much any exam for checking answers.

Then there are a few other things which are handy. The complex number capabilities are useful in the final year of further maths, as are the 3 variable simultaneous equations solver and matrix calculations (for multiplying, inverting and finding the determinant).

I found that it helped me identify a lot of crippling mistakes in a good number of my exams.

Are you allowed one of those in the exam? My friend one year above me has that calculator but said it is not allowed in the exam due to complex number, matrices, differentiation etc. properties... Is this true? I was very surprised finding out today about that cool calculator but was sad when he said it is not allowed in the exams.
Guys, are you allowed this calculator in your official exams e.g. FP1, C2 etc. ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991ESPLUS-SA-UH-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_t_1_C9RZ

Casio-FX991ES ... It has integral, differentiation, complex numbers, etc. built in....

Thanks
Reply 10
Are you allowed one of those in the exam? My friend one year above me has that calculator but said it is not allowed in the exam due to complex number, matrices, differentiation etc. properties... Is this true? I was very surprised finding out today about that cool calculator but was sad when he said it is not allowed in the exams.

The FX-991ES (and the Plus version) are definitely allowed in exams.

In general, the biggest rule when it comes to calculators in exams is that they must not have a computer algebra system. Basically, this means they must not be capable of symbolic manipulation. The FX-991ES does not have any ability to manipulate algebraic terms symbolically, it handles it all numerically. Calculators which do numeric differentiation and definite integration like the 991ES are allowed, but anything which does this symbolically would not be allowed.

To give you an idea of what I mean:

A calculator with a CAS system would be able to tell you that ddx(x2)=2x\frac{d}{dx}\left(x^2\right) = 2 x, literally giving you the answer in terms of x. That would not be allowed.

The FX-991ES will not do that for you. It will only let you find the derivative at a specific point. So for example, it can tell you that ddx(x2)=4\frac{d}{dx}\left(x^2\right) = 4 when x=2 or ddx(x2)=6\frac{d}{dx}\left(x^2\right) = 6 when x=3 but that's where it ends. It won't tell you the answer for general x.

As another example, a calculator with a CAS system would be able to tell you that βˆ«β€‰β£3x2 dx=x3\int \! 3x^2 \, \mathrm{d}x = x^3 , again, exactly like that with the answer in terms of x. That is not allowed.

The FX-991ES will not do that for you. But it will let you evaluate an integral with numerical limits (which is allowed) So it would tell you that ∫12 ⁣3x2 dx=7\int_1^2 \! 3x^2 \, \mathrm{d}x = 7 .

To conclude, the FX-991ES will not give you any final answers in terms of x, and hence is allowed. An ability to evaluate complex numbers don't pose any problem with the current regulations (and in fact, it won't really do all that much in the compelx numbers department anyway).

Guys, are you allowed this calculator in your official exams e.g. FP1, C2 etc. ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991ESPLUS-SA-UH-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_t_1_C9RZ

Casio-FX991ES ... It has integral, differentiation, complex numbers, etc. built in....

Thanks

Yep, that's the one. It's allowed. You can find it cheaper elsewhere though.
I have the Casio fx-9860 G2.
Lovely graphical calculator that is exam legal and really easy to use.
I'd recommend going Casio if you are used to Casio, makes it easier when learning how to use it.

Quick Reply