I feel safer in my uni town?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This is probably going to sound really silly but it's just something I've noticed. I moved to uni this September, away from my home city, where I was raised, London. My uni in in the north east corner of England, in a town/city with a reputation for being slightly rough. Even my student accommodation halls is in the supposed 'rough' part of this city. But in general, I just love it here. I feel so safe (I know that sounds silly but it's true) in comparison to London. Whenever I might have had a down/stressful day or whatever, I'll just go for a long walk here and feel so much better...people smile at you, hold doors open..the air isn't polluted..and there's not constantly thousands of people walking down the pavement together, barging each other. And I find the men to be more respectful/less pervy and less rude. People don't give you angry looks and the atmosphere in general is just different. I feel like I can be myself here to much more of an extent. I don't feel like I'm being judged. Even though I've lived in London practically my whole life, I just don't really feel safe there. There's something about it which is so impersonal and unsafe feeling...I can't really explain it. Living in the north east just feels so much better. Whenever I go home to London I notice a big difference. Does anyone else feel the same? I'm looking forward to seeing my family at Christmas but not particularly about being back in the south again..
canadamoose
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I feel much safer living in the north of England as when I do living near Toronto. It is quite silly, considering the city I live in near Toronto has an extremely low crime rate, whereas the locations in northern England in which I lived had a fair bit of crime in comparison. It all depends where you are comfortable and feel that you fit in!
beccaxheapes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I feel safer living in my uni accommodation than i do at home, because I know I always have atleast one of my housemates there, whereas at home my parents are always at work and my brother is always out so I would always be alone, I don't think it's a rare thing and you're probably not the only one to feel safer/prefer living away at uni ^^
- I went to London once on a school trip and I was so terrified of it all so I don't blame you!
gonewandering
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well there's a few things at play here.

It could very simply be that yes, where you live is a safer, more polite place. London is statistically the most crime ridden area of the the entire country (the high population and high population density I guess). Moving to a smaller town or city you probably notice that.
And its hard to deny the attitude in London; but its something that also exists in many other big cities. Very impersonal and a lack of communities. But that doesn't exist across the whole country, and the North East isn't the only place where people are nicer. I think most people are nice in reality; its the nasty ones we notice.

But there could also be other things.
At home in London you have been exposed to years of news stories, local talk and gossip etc. which talk about the dangers, the crime etc.; you may not have seen any, but you fear it because you know it exists. Where when you move to a new place, you haven't seen anything, you have not heard about those things either: so it may feel safer.
For example, we have all heard of the youngsters being stabbed on the streets in London, and some of us may fear that; but how many of us have actually seen it? If we were not in London, (lets use a town - Newquay in Cornwall for example) having not heard anything about stabbings or seen anybody being stabbed on the street, would we fear it there?

There maybe a psychological factor. The grass is always greener. Away from home, enjoying uni, independence and life in general; you're surroundings may feel better than London even if they are very similar. Especially if you associate London with more negative factors at home.

If it is genuinely somewhere you're happy with and somewhere you feel at home, perhaps think about moving there properly when you finish uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads