The Student Room Group

Requesting some much needed uni application advice.

Hi there,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I'm new to TSR.
I'll try to make this quick.

- I didn't apply to uni last year because I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do.
- I now know that I really love maths and wish to study it at a degree level.
- I finished my a-levels in june and received BBC in Maths, French and Psychology (my UCAS points total is 360)
- In my units for maths I received AAAABD. If I retake the D, I am confident that I can receive an A and possibly an A*. I am also fairly confident in being able to retake french and get and A in that.
- I have done no research into different courses. (I know that this is really really bad).
- I got a stellar reference from my tutor last year that I can use.
- I am currently taking a gap year and working to fill the time and save money.
- I am also interested in looking at courses which incorporate french or computer science.

I'm not sure where to start, I haven't even drafted a personal statement yet.

My questions are:
How do I go about looking for courses?
Should I bother applying to courses with higher entry requirements than my current grades?
Is maths worth applying to with only BBC?
Does anyone have any suggestions for courses at my level?

I am really screwed. I would really appreciate any time anyone could spare to help me out.

Thank you so so so much!
Reply 1
Maths is competitive, you should either apply to a numerical subject thats not math and less competitive, or look at mid rankings universities. Or retake all your A levels and hope to get at least AAB and then you can look at top 30 universities.
Reply 2
Original post by LumpyAgenda
Hi there,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I'm new to TSR.
I'll try to make this quick.

- I didn't apply to uni last year because I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do.
- I now know that I really love maths and wish to study it at a degree level.
- I finished my a-levels in june and received BBC in Maths, French and Psychology (my UCAS points total is 360)
- In my units for maths I received AAAABD. If I retake the D, I am confident that I can receive an A and possibly an A*. I am also fairly confident in being able to retake french and get and A in that.
- I have done no research into different courses. (I know that this is really really bad).
- I got a stellar reference from my tutor last year that I can use.
- I am currently taking a gap year and working to fill the time and save money.
- I am also interested in looking at courses which incorporate french or computer science.

I'm not sure where to start, I haven't even drafted a personal statement yet.

My questions are:
How do I go about looking for courses?
Should I bother applying to courses with higher entry requirements than my current grades?
Is maths worth applying to with only BBC?
Does anyone have any suggestions for courses at my level?

I am really screwed. I would really appreciate any time anyone could spare to help me out.

Thank you so so so much!

First thing you need to do is actually determine that you will enjoy/cope with university mathematics. I say this especially as you haven't done A-Level Further Maths. Those who have only done A-Level Maths (and for top universities, I'd extend this to include Further Maths as well) very much get lulled into a false sense of security in terms of how much they think they 'click' with mathematics and their general ability in the area.

Ultimately with BBC without retakes it's unlikely the you'd get into a decent university studying maths and, in all likelihood, you would struggle studying, and keeping up, with the subject at a decent university. So I would recommend looking at subjects which are more synonymous with the mathematics, and type of mathematics, you get taught during A-Level (which is essentially any other mathematical subject at university, to be honest).

The first port of call is to properly look at some first year university level maths, try out some problems. Spend weeks on it if you can't decide, it's well worth doing it now as opposed to finding out when you start the course.

Note: I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing it, but maths is arguably the biggest leap in complexity/material from A-Level and what you have fallen in love with, if it's on the basis of A-Level Maths, is nothing like what you'll be subjected to for 3-4 years doing a degree in it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest