AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm interested in studying Spanish at Uni, however my school does not offer it at GCSE or A Level, so I haven't been able to learn it. (I have however taught myself a basic amount)

But I was wondering; I know that for degrees where you don't already speak the language it's "ab initio", when you come out of the degree to what fluency do people usually speak?

Also, as I said I am attempting to learn the language outside of school. Does anyone know if I was to be able to speak Spanish to a decent level, and prove it, I could enter onto a Spanish course? (When I say Spanish, I don't mean a sole Spanish degree. Looking to do x with Spanish, if that makes a difference)

Thanks
Tasha-x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It is very possible for the ab initio learners to speak the language better than those who did an A level in it by the end of the degree!! It largely depends on the year abroad and how much time you spend in the country. For example, I studied French, Spanish and ab initio Italian. After my year abroad I would say that my spoken Italian was much better than my spoken French as I spent 5 months in Italy, but only 2 months in France. The ab initio Spanish students who spent their whole erasmus year in Spain came out of it speaking Spanish much better than those post A level students who just went and spent a couple of months there.

Really don't worry about starting ab initio, the teaching at uni is much more intense than at school!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.46%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
45.26%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.63%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed