Why are most women pathetic when it comes to celebrity culture?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Jordooooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Why do a lot of women/girls feel it is necessary to become infatuated with certain celebrities?

If a z list celebrity comes to a night club one night, many girls will flock there to see them. They want to get a picture taken with them, lick their arse and then brag about it. You wouldn't see hundreds of guys queueing up to a club to desperately see some woman from one of these mundane shows.

On twitter you have people pretty much dedicating their lives to supporting ****ty popstars such as Bieber, one direction, lady gaga etc. Resulting in death threats to those who criticise their 'idols' and other ridiculous behaviours.

Obviously some men will do this as well but nowhere near to the same extent.

Do you reaaaally care about social status that much?

EDIT!! Yes yes I know using 'most' in the title was exaggerating it, for controversy reasons.. stop going on about it
awe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
*some. They are visible to you because they are so visible. The 'most', i.e those that actually don't really give a crap about this industry, aren't exactly going to flaunt their lack of interest, are they? I don't know many women who fit your description here, and suggest that, if you do, perhaps you need to widen your circle of female friends.
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
By women do you mean 12 year old girls?
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because they feel insecure about themselves and their own lives.

I'm battling with myself on whether or not I should go into more detail on my theory here but I could end up with a wall of text. If anyone's interested then either reply to this or PM me. :borat:
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
(Original post by awe)
*some. They are visible to you because they are so visible. The 'most', i.e those that actually don't really give a crap about this industry, aren't exactly going to flaunt their lack of interest, are they? I don't know many women who fit your description here, and suggest that, if you do, perhaps you need to widen your circle of female friends.
I think I do need to.

(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Well the twitter ones are just young I suppose. But you have grown women going to clubs desperately trying to get a semi-famous person's attention.
DirtyHarry01
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most is an exaggeration surely. I kinda understand what you mean though.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vixen47)

I'm battling with myself on whether or not I should go into more detail on my theory here but I could end up with a wall of text. If anyone's interested then either reply to this or PM me. :borat:
Go for it. What else is there to do at this time?!
Babylid
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Those women folk are a simple species.
Jelkin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

*Shrugs* I suppose that men are encouraged to get status and success for themselves, whereas women tend to look for status and success in others (for whatever reason).
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jordooooom)

Well the twitter ones are just young I suppose. But you have grown women going to clubs desperately trying to get a semi-famous person's attention.
To get their attention? Or to get shagged by them then try and sell their story to the tabloids? This is a tiny, tiny fraction of women as well.

Plus if guys saw a footballer, or their favourite actor or whatever in a club as well, they'd probably go and try and talk to them as well.
Daniellejo.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
^^^ Haha this.

I think I know one girl who matches your description and she's about 15 and I'd say it was already getting embarrassing by that age.
Petyr24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vixen47)

Expand. I'm interested.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I agree with you OP.

I think men have celebrity heroes too but they are mainly sportsmen and they have to earn the mens' respect by being good.

But the way men relate to these heroes is different, they aren't desperate to get a piece of them or be associated with them. When I was at uni a few years back every girl seemed to have a story about how she had got off with Bombhead from Hollyoaks in a club.

Guys will do stuff like put a picture of Guardiola or Zidane as their profile picture on facebook for a while or something and discuss their respect for these idols but they won't be so bothered about name dropping or needing to meet them or know the gossip about them.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
To get their attention? Or to get shagged by them then try and sell their story to the tabloids? This is a tiny, tiny fraction of women as well.

Plus if guys saw a footballer, or their favourite actor or whatever in a club as well, they'd probably go and try and talk to them as well.
Both to be honest. I've seen girls literally fight with each other over a celeb in a club one night...

Fair point about the footballer, actor or whatever but I'm talking more about specifically going out of your way to meet them rather than casually seeing them, if you know what I mean? It's not at the same level. I do find waiting for footballers autographs and getting pictures with them quite sad if you're over a certain age as well.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)

I think men have celebrity heroes too but they are mainly sportsmen and they have to earn the mens' respect by being good.

But the way men relate to these heroes is different, they aren't desperate to get a piece of them or be associated with them. When I was at uni a few years back every girl seemed to have a story about how she had got off with Bombhead from Hollyoaks in a club.

Guys will do stuff like put a picture of Guardiola or Zidane as their profile picture on facebook for a while or something and discuss their respect for these idols but they won't be so bothered about name dropping or needing to meet them or know the gossip about them.
Exactly, you've managed to explain it better than I could!

Fair enough if the person was an idol to them in some way or another but most of the time that isn't the case!
MJ1012
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)

I agree, many young girls feel they have to be in love with these celebs. I find the saturdays hot but I wouldn't have a twitter account called Mr Frankie Sandford, I don't listen to their music, I don't follow their every move, I don't defend them when anyone says anything negative about them. I'm just like, they're hot. Whereas girls reactions to One direction....
DirtyHarry01
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the sort of celebrity obsession that some girls have can be very very dangerous, as the Ian Watkins case has shown. He targeted his young super fans and some went along with his sick obsession.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
(Original post by DirtyHarry01)
I think the sort of celebrity obsession that some girls have can be very very dangerous, as the Ian Watkins case has shown. He targeted his young super fans and some went along with his sick obsession.
Did you read about those mothers who were involved on his sick acts? Of course they're just as bad and are mentally sick but I wonder if they would have done that for someone who wasn't famous...
gemmam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This. It's pretty rare it's anyone older than high school age who does that.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jordooooom)
lol, some girls on my Twatter timeline constantly tweet celebrities, then when said celebrity acknowledges their pathetic existence they printscreen and upload it. I know one who started turning up to places in the hope of seeing a celebrity, that is actually stalking.

It does seem like more of a female thing tbh.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (75)
37.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (21)
10.55%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.53%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.62%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.56%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.04%

Watched Threads