Super199
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Can someone help me with the following two questions please

\frac{dx}{dt}=3t^2-2t+1 and that x=2 when t=1, find the value of x when t=2

Right so the question comes under the topic of integration but I don't really understand what its asking me. If I was doing this in the exam I wouldn't know that I would have to integrate. So once I have integrated this. I got

t^3-t^2+x+C What do I do next?

Next one is \frac{dx}{dt}=(t+1)^2 and the x=0 when t=2, find the value of x when t=3. I think if I knew how to do the first question I should be able to do the second one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks P.S how would I know that I would have to integrate this?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
when you integrate you must include a constant c
tmorrall
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You need to recognise the question gives you dx/dt which is the the differential with respect to t of y.
So you integrate dx/dt with respect to t and you should acquire t^3+t^2+t+k. You have t^3+t^2+x which shows you do not know what the actual process of integration is doing. Rewrite dx/dt if it make it more familiar to have say dy/dx. If you don't have limits to integrate between then you must assume there is some constant (k) which can be zero. Since x had been differentiated any constant will be lost in this process when integrating we must assume there was one there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Super199
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
when you integrate you must include a constant c
DAMN IT! I completely forgot
Super199
Rep:
?
(Original post by tmorrall)
You need to recognise the question gives you dx/dt which is the the differential with respect to t of y.
So you integrate dx/dt with respect to t and you should acquire t^3+t^2+t+k. You have t^3+t^2+x which shows you do not know what the actual process of integration is doing. Rewrite dx/dt if it make it more familiar to have say dy/dx. If you don't have limits to integrate between then you must assume there is some constant (k) which can be zero. Since x had been differentiated any constant will be lost in this process when integrating we must assume there was one there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right I understood that part, but what is it asking me to do when it gives values of x and t?
tmorrall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Super199)
Right I understood that part, but what is it asking me to do when it gives values of x and t?
So if you integrate dx/dt with respect to t you get the function of x so now you know x=t^3+t^2+t+k. You know a value for t when x is whatever. Sub them both in solve for your k so now you know the full equation since you know the constant k now. You can then do the next part. Note also that you have integrated with respect to t so the when you integrate the 1 it becomes t not x. If you had dy/dx is 10x+1 integrate with respect to x you get 5x^2+x+k not 5x^2+y+k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Super199
Rep:
?
So if you integrate dx/dt with respect to t you get the function of x so now you know x=t^3+t^2+t+k. You know a value for t when x is whatever. Sub them both in solve for your k so now you know the full equation since you know the constant k now. You can then do the next part. Note also that you have integrated with respect to t so the when you integrate the 1 it becomes t not x. If you had dy/dx is 10x+1 integrate with respect to x you get 5x^2+x+k not 5x^2+y+k

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if I sub 1 for t. 1^3-1^2+1+c? What do I do about the x? Where would I sub x =2?
tmorrall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So if I sub 1 for t. 1^3-1^2+1+c? What do I do about the x? Where would I sub x =2?
You know that x=t^3-t^2+t+c at the point where t=1 AND x=2 so replace both your t and your x with their corresponding values and you get 2=1^3-1^2+1+c
2=1-1+1+c
c=1
So now you know the constant you have an equation which you know everything about: x=t^3-t^2+t+1

I hope I am not coming across too patronising. Trying to be as thorough as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Super199
Rep:
?
You know that x=t^3-t^2+t+c at the point where t=1 AND x=2 so replace both your t and your x with their corresponding values and you get 2=1^3-1^2+1+c
2=1-1+1+c
c=1
So now you know the constant you have an equation which you know everything about: x=t^3-t^2+t+1

I hope I am not coming across too patronising. Trying to be as thorough as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow you my friend are a lad!!!! I understand wow thanks. I got x = 7 as my answer . Thanks man!
tmorrall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh wow you my friend are a lad!!!! I understand wow thanks. I got x = 7 as my answer . Thanks man!
Yeah thats it. The more you do calculus the greater your understanding will become. Arguably most applicable maths to real life this stuff!
Haha yeah no problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Super199
Rep:
?
(Original post by majmuh24)
Integration is the inverse of differentiation, so if you have a derivative \dfrac{dx}{dt} and want to find a function for x in terms of t, you have to integrate it with respect to t.

To find C, substitute the values that you have been given so x=2 and t=1, so just put these values into the equation you have from integrating the derivative.
Help me with this one please
y^\frac{1}{2}=x^\frac{1}{3}+3
a). Show that y=x^\frac{2}{3}+Ax^\frac{1}{3}+B where A and B are constants to be found
B). Hench find the integral of ydx.

How do I start?
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Help me with this one please
y^\frac{1}{2}=x^\frac{1}{3}+3
a). Show that y=x^\frac{2}{3}+Ax^\frac{1}{3}+B where A and B are constants to be found
B). Hench find the integral of ydx.

How do I start?
Well, what would you have to do to turn y^{\frac{1}{2}} into y
Super199
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Well, what would you have to do to turn y^{\frac{1}{2}} into y
square it?
(x^\frac{1}{3})^2=x^\frac{2}{3} laws of indices. Then 3^2=9 Where is the Ax^\frac{1}{3} from?
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
square it?
(x^\frac{1}{3})^2=x^\frac{2}{3} laws of indices. Then 3^2=9 Where is the Ax^\frac{1}{3} from?
Well what do you get when you expand (a+b)^2 ?
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
square it?
square the RHS too
Super199
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
Well what do you get when you expand (a+b)^2 ?
Right got it! Cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (43)
14.83%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
32.76%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.41%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (24)
8.28%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.86%
I think it's an unfair expectation (72)
24.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise