The Student Room Group

Zero hour contract: what are my employment rights?

Hello, I work at a big UK retail store (name withheld...) and am on a zero hour contract.

I'm being made to work boxing day. I don't live in the same city as the shop (here for uni) and am going home for Christmas.

It's a 4 hour shift.
So I'd be home, then have to leave super early on boxing day, travel the whole day then work for four hours, then spend the rest of the holidays alone...

Taking into account living costs being away from home, travel expenses of getting the bus back here on boxing day... I'd be losing WAY more than I'd be earning...

I've asked for it off twice and they've just said "you've agreed to work X days so you're going to have to work it" basically saying it's not their problem and they're showing no sympathy...

I know I'm a zero hour contract and can refuse hours but they just won't have it...

There's a person who has agreed to do the 4 hour shift for me, since they're not working, but that still isn't good enough for them......

What should I do?!

:frown:
Reply 1
buuuump?
If it isn't in your contract, they can't force you to. I got put down to do 39 hours this week, didn't get asked or anything, but I'm just coming in to do my contracted 12 hours. Supervisor said I wasn't a 'team player' as it's really busy & we're short staffed, but there is other people who aren't doing any more than there contract.
Reply 3
See I'm worried about references etc... but stuff it!
unless you're quitting straight away they're unlikely to remember something like this, and I reeeally don't understand their problem if you found cover for the shift - that's weird :s-smilie:
They aren't allowed to slag you off if you use them as a reference.
Reply 6
Original post by doodle_333
unless you're quitting straight away they're unlikely to remember something like this, and I reeeally don't understand their problem if you found cover for the shift - that's weird :s-smilie:

No idea, think they're just being awkward because they feel like it!
It's a temp contract so I'll be gone by the 4th of January...
Reply 7
Original post by cfizzle
No idea, think they're just being awkward because they feel like it!
It's a temp contract so I'll be gone by the 4th of January...

Tell them to get stuffed, if it's not within your contracted hours then they only have themselves to blame for giving out zero hour contracts.
Reply 8
Original post by james1211
Tell them to get stuffed, if it's not within your contracted hours then they only have themselves to blame for giving out zero hour contracts.

Haha, just go in first thing and announce, "Get stuffed" :tongue:

Exactly, it's their doing. They just expect us to do what they want because we're temps. F*** the system!

Quick Reply

Latest