Would bedwetting be classed as a medical reason for having a private bathroom at uni? Watch

belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To all those who say you could just carry the sheets to the bathroom and sort them out, you obviously havent thought it through! Pee soaked sheets stink to the high heavens, and would drip everywhere. The whole house would smell like pee the next morning.
That what plastic bags have been invented for. You can even get the hospital sort that dissolves in the washing machine so when you put sheets in them you don't have to open them again in the loundrette to sort the stuff out.
bunthulhu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Plenty of people (myself included) apply for ensuite purely because it would be a nice luxury or because they prefer the privacy. Personally I think you'd be more entitled to an ensuite room than people like me because you have a genuine reason and I can sympathise with you, so definitely contact the university and I doubt it will be a problem
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bunthulhu)
Plenty of people (myself included) apply for ensuite purely because it would be a nice luxury or because they prefer the privacy. Personally I think you'd be more entitled to an ensuite room than people like me because you have a genuine reason and I can sympathise with you, so definitely contact the university and I doubt it will be a problem

Yes. I'm very much in agreement... most people do apply for ensuites just because it's nice than sharing with 6-8 other people... You should tell the uni for sure and I hope that you get on alright!
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The uni may be minded to grant the request, but I should think they won't have to if they decide not to.
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
The uni may be minded to grant the request, but I should think they won't have to if they decide not to.
If it were me I would complain until they gave it to me. I had a friend who got a single room every year at university (in the US that is much less common) because he has sickle cell disease. He only has one sickle cell crisis per year but that was enough for him to have his own room--basically he needed 5-6 days of privacy for the entire school year. If that's what made him more comfortable that's what they should have given him. After all he paid for the room. I don't see why I (who applied for en suite) should get placed there b/c I like it and someone with a medical problem shouldn't.
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shady lane)
If it were me I would complain until they gave it to me. I had a friend who got a single room every year at university (in the US that is much less common) because he has sickle cell disease. He only has one sickle cell crisis per year but that was enough for him to have his own room--basically he needed 5-6 days of privacy for the entire school year. If that's what made him more comfortable that's what they should have given him. After all he paid for the room. I don't see why I (who applied for en suite) should get placed there b/c I like it and someone with a medical problem shouldn't.
It's all down to how many en-suite bedrooms they have and what needs other students have. All I'm saying is they have no legal duty.
sleepy_person!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
It's all down to how many en-suite bedrooms they have and what needs other students have. All I'm saying is they have no legal duty.
No. Quite. They don't. But no uni has less en-suite rooms than it does students who need the en-suites for medical reasons. Therefore, unless the university is bitter and wishes the sufferer of this medical condition to be exposed to situations of embarresment or discomfort where it could have been avoided, then they will give them an en-suite room in place of somebody who would have liked it because it is more pleasant (as others have said).

So to the OP, yes, I do believe that your uni can and will be able to accomodate your problem with an en-suite bathroom, I would let them know and I'm sure they will do their upmost to help you!
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For a thread concerned primarily with managing the involuntary dissemination of urine, there's certainly an inordinate amount of s**t flying about.
supertramp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This struck me as very friendly and helpful of them, especially as it was my insurance choice
Um, OT, so sorry - but are we supposed to apply for accomodation at insurance places too? Oops.

I'd say if you provided a doctor's note then they'd be very understanding of your situation and do their best to get you a private bathroom. As someone said, they seem very helpful about that sort of thing.
bunthulhu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by supertramp)
Um, OT, so sorry - but are we supposed to apply for accomodation at insurance places too? Oops.
Ooopsiee! :>.<:
CheesyBeans
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you going to a university that only offers uni accommodation to first year students? If so how about actually trying to find a way to combat the bed wetting if it's an emotional problem or asking your doctor about ways if it is physical. I'm sure you'll find it pretty hard to find student houses that come with ensuite bedrooms...
Anonymous #4
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by belis)
That what plastic bags have been invented for.
lol...and i thought they were invented for shopping
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
28.01%
No (568)
71.99%

Watched Threads