The Student Room Group

Supervisor swap

Hi,
Is it possible to request a change in supervisors if the other person you want to be your supervisor is a PhD student at a different university but has supervisory experience?
Thanks.
PS: I am a student in the UK and was wondering if there was such a rule/regulation stating this as a non-flexible rule.
Reply 1
you'd probably have to check the rules of your university and ask your course director if that's allowed/possible. I wouldn't think phd students would be able to supervise other postgrad students since they themselves are being supervised.
Student at another university- God no!

I appreciate your specific situation because I have read your other post but, thinking generally, what happens when the supervisor screws up and someone fails? Your institution is left cleaning up the mess and has no comebacks at all on the supervisor. Also, why should the supervisor's institution let one of its people do work for which another institution gets credit and collects the fees?

Are you sure that you aren't just favouring this student because she spoonfeeds you, whereas your formal supervisors are pushing you harder, which they should at MPhil level?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending