A&F University Options choosing + Should I apply to Bath with this? Watch

dasul
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm heading down the path of an Accounting and Finance degree, I prefer degree options that are either Masters, or give a placement, as well as the Uni's having a good range of positive feedback about both teaching, the university atmosphere, facilities and so forth.
basically business as usual.

My first question is that given the following criteria - should I even bother about applying for Bath ( I'm fairly good, but not outstanding)
AS - ABBC (C was dropped) in order: History, Maths, Business Studies and Computing

1A*, 3As 6Bs, 1C at GCSE (Mathematics and both English qualifications gained A, B and B in order.

my predicted grades for the end of A2 are:
AAA - in order History, Mathematics / Statistics, Business studies

I've taken up AS further maths to be completed in one year as an extension

I'm retaking 2 maths exams and 1 business exam at AS level as they were a huge disappointment.

My personal statement - were it to be graded as far as what i've done in life and how far it all contributes and factoring in how well it is written at best would get a B+
I know Bath seemed a stretch, and was basically that one pipe dream, but is it even worthwhile to apply?

Second question.
besides Bath I have three other cemented options (haven't sent application off yet), these being:
Durham (masters + placement) - AAB
Kent ( BA placement) - ABB
Heriot Watt (Masters) - BBB
I thought these were a fairly good range, and all seem to be quite positive as far as the above criteria.

However I'm stuck for the 3rd place slot - must be AAB or ABB
so far I considered:
Loughborough and Nottingham
Whilst I know Loughborough seemingly is better ranked than Nottingham, everywhere i've read says Nottingham is a nicer place, and judging from google maps ( no open days attended ( not a smart move)) it seems to be the style of city I'd like.

So if anyone has any first hand experience of either, or a different university that they believe is great then please let me know your opinions here!

Apologies for the length
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not sure what the standard Bath offer is but I'd expect you to get 4/5 of the ones you mentioned, so it's worth a shot. Bath is really solid for A&F
dasul
Rep:
?
^ Ahh sorry for not mentioning it - minimum requirements for Bath are AAA
my predicted grades are an improvement to AS ( normally leads to sceptical idea about the applicant) combined with that "Preference is shown to applicants with a high proportion of As and A*s at GCSE" as well as a just above average personal statement - all this lead me to question whether or not it was worth applying and saving an extra slot to other universities that i may have a better chance for.
The way i see it - Bath is a pipe dream, but all the same in theory it's achievable, but I'm in 70% doubt on whether or not it's worth applying - so I'm asking others if it is worth it.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As suggested above, you will probably get offers from 3 or 4 of the 'other' universities you choose, therefore you have nothing really to lose by having a shot at Bath. If you get an offer from them you 'win' (though have to meet their conditions!); if you don't, then you will have the others to choose between. All you 'lose' by selecting Bath is the chance to get offers from BOTH Loughborough and Nottingham - which you describe as your third choice anyway.

BTW, although you characterise HW as a 'Masters', note that is still an undergraduate degree, not postgraduate. Also, that an offer of BBB means taking four years, with the extra associated cost.
dasul
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
As suggested above, you will probably get offers from 3 or 4 of the 'other' universities you choose, therefore you have nothing really to lose by having a shot at Bath. If you get an offer from them you 'win' (though have to meet their conditions!); if you don't, then you will have the others to choose between. All you 'lose' by selecting Bath is the chance to get offers from BOTH Loughborough and Nottingham - which you describe as your third choice anyway.

BTW, although you characterise HW as a 'Masters', note that is still an undergraduate degree, not postgraduate. Also, that an offer of BBB means taking four years, with the extra associated cost.
Thanks for the reply!
well if I weren't to choose Bath, then I would have Durham as my first then Nottingham / loughborough (still searching for more reviews and numbers) then have the other for my 3rd. I've got all my timing set for academics - it's just ucas and a few other bits that have thrown it a bit out of work ( I have a strict schedule). And I got my first draft of the P.S back today, surprisingly it was fairly positive - so the chance I think is higher (may be more confident after more reviews).

On to the HW part - am I missing something? I'm an undergraduate so i'm not sure it's only an undergraduate degree affect me? and I know it'll cost more, but I'm fairly confident in my capacity to pay it back? Also i'm ok with taking 4 years to get a Masters degree (it does say MA - though again I may be missing something?) - Durham's masters + placement is a 5 year long course, and i'm not opposed to that at all.

thanks for the help so far, and sorry for the length!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dasul)
On to the HW part - am I missing something? I'm an undergraduate so i'm not sure it's only an undergraduate degree affect me? and I know it'll cost more, but I'm fairly confident in my capacity to pay it back? Also i'm ok with taking 4 years to get a Masters degree (it does say MA - though again I may be missing something?) - Durham's masters + placement is a 5 year long course, and i'm not opposed to that at all.

thanks for the help so far, and sorry for the length!
I am only pointing out that the type of MA at Heriot-Watt is not a postgraduate degree, it has the same standing as a BA or BSc at an English university.

Which course at Durham are you applying for?
Tomatochuckers
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dasul)
So I'm heading down the path of an Accounting and Finance degree, I prefer degree options that are either Masters, or give a placement, as well as the Uni's having a good range of positive feedback about both teaching, the university atmosphere, facilities and so forth.
basically business as usual.

My first question is that given the following criteria - should I even bother about applying for Bath ( I'm fairly good, but not outstanding)
AS - ABBC (C was dropped) in order: History, Maths, Business Studies and Computing

1A*, 3As 6Bs, 1C at GCSE (Mathematics and both English qualifications gained A, B and B in order.

my predicted grades for the end of A2 are:
AAA - in order History, Mathematics / Statistics, Business studies

I've taken up AS further maths to be completed in one year as an extension

I'm retaking 2 maths exams and 1 business exam at AS level as they were a huge disappointment.

My personal statement - were it to be graded as far as what i've done in life and how far it all contributes and factoring in how well it is written at best would get a B+
I know Bath seemed a stretch, and was basically that one pipe dream, but is it even worthwhile to apply?

Second question.
besides Bath I have three other cemented options (haven't sent application off yet), these being:
Durham (masters + placement) - AAB
Kent ( BA placement) - ABB
Heriot Watt (Masters) - BBB
I thought these were a fairly good range, and all seem to be quite positive as far as the above criteria.

However I'm stuck for the 3rd place slot - must be AAB or ABB
so far I considered:
Loughborough and Nottingham
Whilst I know Loughborough seemingly is better ranked than Nottingham, everywhere i've read says Nottingham is a nicer place, and judging from google maps ( no open days attended ( not a smart move)) it seems to be the style of city I'd like.

So if anyone has any first hand experience of either, or a different university that they believe is great then please let me know your opinions here!

Apologies for the length
Nottingham is significantly better than you have given it credit for. It is certainly better than Loughborough. I am a Nottingham undergraduate studying the BA Finance, Accounting and Management course so I may seem biased but trust me, I won't hype up my uni when it shouldn't be.

Options to consider are:
Nottingham- AAB
Manchester- AAB
dasul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tomatochuckers)
Nottingham is significantly better than you have given it credit for. It is certainly better than Loughborough. I am a Nottingham undergraduate studying the BA Finance, Accounting and Management course so I may seem biased but trust me, I won't hype up my uni when it shouldn't be.

Options to consider are:
Nottingham- AAB
Manchester- AAB
well, did you go to a loughborough open day? or have you ever set foot on the campus as a whole? Would like a bit of proof rather

@truth shall not - oh, well then that option will probably still stand - since heriot is a good university in other subjects - meaning that odds are it'll have a lot of facilities and so forth and take advantage of that
and the course is N403:
http://search.ucas.com/course/summar...=1&ret=results

Edit: after another quick check - seeing that Nottingham's finance course gets you paid work experience with PwC is quite a thing, so at the mo Nottingham is winning
Tomatochuckers
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dasul)
well, did you go to a loughborough open day? or have you ever set foot on the campus as a whole? Would like a bit of proof rather

@truth shall not - oh, well then that option will probably still stand - since heriot is a good university in other subjects - meaning that odds are it'll have a lot of facilities and so forth and take advantage of that
and the course is N403:
http://search.ucas.com/course/summar...=1&ret=results

Edit: after another quick check - seeing that Nottingham's finance course gets you paid work experience with PwC is quite a thing, so at the mo Nottingham is winning
The PwC thing is their school leavers scheme, in partnership with Nottingham. It's called the Flying Start Programme or something like that where you get a BSc (or a BA) in Accounting I think.

The BA Finance, Accounting and Management course is not part of that.

Dunno whether you apply to Notts BA Accounting through UCAS, PwC or both so look into that.

Don't really want to go into an argument about why Nottingham FAM is better than Loughborough A+F. It's just that in the finance arena, Nottingham tends to be percieved as better. How much better is debateable. If big 4 is your target, then I doubt uni matters. In general as well, most people would probably consider Nottingham to be better than Loughborough, regardless of what current rankings are saying. But honestly, it's not my job to convince you, these are just my opinions going by what I have seen. Best of luck
dasul
Rep:
?
Sorry to revive this old topic, but just thought I should mention for any other future candidate that may find this topic - I got an offer from bath in the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads