The Student Room Group

Food Tech GCSE

I've gotta choose my GCSEs in January and I was wondering about Food Tech? What does it include? Easy or hard? I am going to take Triple Science, and I am looking at a career in some kind of science, so I was looking at Food Technology but I can only find things from years ago and the education system has changed a lot since then. I've heard that Food Tech can be considered a 'Mickey Mouse' subject and I've also heard that it's a lot of hard work. I prefer a challenge myself, so I'm not interested in 'easy' subjects as such. I have ben looking at jobs in Food Tech and I was wondering; for a job in Food Technology, would you need a degree in Food Science for most? My parents aren't too keen on me going to uni, but I will probably do an A Level. Thanksss xxxxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by HeleStar
I've gotta choose my GCSEs in January and I was wondering about Food Tech? What does it include? Easy or hard? I am going to take Triple Science, and I am looking at a career in some kind of science, so I was looking at Food Technology but I can only find things from years ago and the education system has changed a lot since then. I've heard that Food Tech can be considered a 'Mickey Mouse' subject and I've also heard that it's a lot of hard work. I prefer a challenge myself, so I'm not interested in 'easy' subjects as such. I have ben looking at jobs in Food Tech and I was wondering; for a job in Food Technology, would you need a degree in Food Science for most? My parents aren't too keen on me going to uni, but I will probably do an A Level. Thanksss xxxxx

Food tech was the best gcse I took. It was so fun and interesting! I love cooking and I was able to enter loads of competitions :smile: came out with an A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Some of the stuff I learned at Food Tech transferred to AS Biology :smile:
I found it deceivingly simple - lessons seemed easy and most often no one really thought much of it, but I got a B overall (all my other GCSEs are A/A*). So I suggest that you be aware of the fact that it has to be very teacher-driven to be interesting.
Reply 3
I took GCSE Food and Nutrition also, and with the right teacher and classmates, it can be an awesome subject. I wouldn't call it difficult, but don't think just because its about food its a piece of piss. Also depends on your exam board, i had to do coursework and an exam with the WJEC board and the exam was quite difficult. I don't think there are any Food Tech A levels but i guess if you wanted to get into food science it could be useful to do it at GCSE :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I loved Food Tech GCSE XD I miss it soo much most fun and learned so much the exam is alright and coursework good aswell. One of the best courses i took however its a vocational course mainly now and don't do a level for it really :/

I love food tech! It's true, the exams are fairly easy (in my opinion anyway) because there isn't a separate higher/foundation paper. Having said that there are a good range of questions and the 8/12 mark questions at the end are sometimes quite a challenge. However, there is a LOT of course work! On the wjec course that I'm doing coursework is worth 60% of the mark and you are quite limited on time. I wouldn't call it an easy subject because it does require a lot of hard work and effort to get top grades, but it is one of the more relaxing subjects I take, especially the cooking lessons! Hope this helps!
Reply 6
I study food tech as a GCSE and have mainly enjoyed it. Similarly to most subjects it is as hard as make it by the effort you put in. Although people don't always take food technology seriously it is a demanding course. The coursework section is worth 60% and is 20 sheets of A3. It is very time consuming but is very interesting as you follow a product's journey from start to finish and you get to bake about 15 times. Worth it if you put the time in. The other 40% of your final grade is a theory based exam where you need to recite and use information about the functions of ingredients, social / moral / environmental issues and all other sorts of food theory. The work isn't hard as such, especially for somebody also in triple science, but is very interesting. Hope this help, remember that you'll be studying it for 2 years so if you should only take it if you enjoy both cooking and learning some of the science of the food industry.
I've come to this thread a bit late but food tech does exist as an A level because I did it myself.

It's an excellent subject to study that can open a lot of doors and with studying so many subjects at gcse it's good to have something you enjoy to look forward to each week.
Reply 8
THE HARDEST GCSE IN THE WORLD (Cambridge Exam Board) OMFG
it's hard because you have NEA work, second thing is you have the exam of cooking it. and it's 3 years of hard work.
A question do u get to pick what u want to cook or do they give you random recipies
There is no such thing as a 'mickey mouse' GCSE.
However, beware that practical subjects can take a lot of time in comparison to the more academically challenging subjects.
My parents aren't too keen on me going to uni, but I will probably do an A Level.

Why?
EDIT: Just realised how old this thread is...
(edited 3 years ago)
you get to choose what you want to cook but there is a specific topic you will need to follow for example it could be street food or asian or Italian food It depends on what board you are doing and the topic the teachers choose
every year it is different
(edited 3 years ago)
As it has been 6 years. What happened?
very good :smile::smile::smile: well done of asking
Original post by wnee-hee
Some of the stuff I learned at Food Tech transferred to AS Biology :smile:
I found it deceivingly simple - lessons seemed easy and most often no one really thought much of it, but I got a B overall (all my other GCSEs are A/A*). So I suggest that you be aware of the fact that it has to be very teacher-driven to be interesting.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nicoleta_gcse
A question do u get to pick what u want to cook or do they give you random recipies

you get to choose but there is a specific area for example this year 2020 it is international street food
you get to choose to an extent like everyone is saying, as i'm interested in korean foods all my street foods were korean...
im pretty sure everyone on this thread has probably already said this but food tech gcse was amazing, the practical activity was great and even the coursework. the best thing imo was that if u worked a lot on your coursework you could guarantee yourself a semi decent grade, its just that you have to put the hours in and try get to the word limit while keeping everything as descriptive as possible. i could offer to send you my coursework since i completed it the year before last before covid so it was under normal conditions which would be the same as you, but then again you might be of a different examboard so im not completely sure. I did wjec and making notes from the giant textbook and putting all my time in the feb half term into the coursework got me a good grade, so if youre willing to put the work in it can actually secure a good grade, again if are considering medicine the nutritional aspect will help you as numerous others have already said.
yes please could you send me your course work I would be grateful thank you

Quick Reply

Latest