Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Last edited by russian_vodka; 5 months ago
Parisian Scot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by russian_vodka)
Hi guyz... did anyone receive lower marks than they expected for english A1? Was there some sort of confusion? Were the examiners just drunk when they marked the papers? its really weird, ppl at my school seem to have received grades much lower than they expected...

anything like that by you guyz??? lets get some brainstorming going... cheerz

Yes this does seem to be a common theme of this year's results. I still haven't recieved my results (it is pending) which suggests that there has been some sort of confusion/problems regarding the English results
em912
Report 14 years ago
yup, for my school too
em912
Report 14 years ago
wat kind of "confusion" cud it be tho?
jcdoughty06
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thank goodness I'm not the only one!! I got a 4 on English A1 HL when I was predicted a 6. I'm pretty pissed b/c this messes me up for college. Anyways, everyone else from my school got lower than expected too, so I'm not sure what will happen. Is there any procedure in asking for a rescore?
yckitty2000
Report 14 years ago
Well, I got a five for A1SL and I am sort of confused about it too... Also for Chinese A1HL, I have been predicted 7 for the whole year and ended up with a 6... so sad about that......
Parisian Scot
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jcdoughty06)
Thank goodness I'm not the only one!! I got a 4 on English A1 HL when I was predicted a 6. I'm pretty pissed b/c this messes me up for college. Anyways, everyone else from my school got lower than expected too, so I'm not sure what will happen. Is there any procedure in asking for a rescore?
Yes there is, but I'm fairly certain you have to pay for it. Also be aware that they could lower your grade further if they think they were generous the first time, and going on the rather bizarre results this year, I wouldn't put such behaviour past them!

Good luck btw
fosheezys
Report 14 years ago
Same thing here. I went to school in NL and got a 4 in English SL even though I got a 76 in the mocks... strange stuff. I hope you guys are right and there were mistakes of some sort.
russian_vodka
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Last edited by russian_vodka; 5 months ago
sugarholic
Report 14 years ago
I got 1 lower than expected as well... duno whether its worth the money to remark though.
kw10
Report 14 years ago
Well, I got a 6 on English A1 HL, and I'm pretty happy with it. I would have been really surprised to get a 7! So i'll be the first person to say that to me there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the grading.

But I'm sorry to all who scored lower than they hoped! It's so frustrating when that happens . . . it happened to me last year in Psych SL, I expected 6 or 7 and got 4.
suzy1287
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm getting my English remarked too! god, what happened with the papers???? I was predicted 7 and got 5! plus no one at all at my college doing higher english A1 got more than 5 - and there really should have been some 6s and 7s around. People in years before me at my college have got 6s and 7s, so I don't think there's any problem with the teaching. Plus, I myself thought I'd done well in the English exams, so it wasn't as if I'd had a bad time with it! Very, very strange.....
Parisian Scot
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by suzy1287)
I'm getting my English remarked too! god, what happened with the papers???? I was predicted 7 and got 5! plus no one at all at my college doing higher english A1 got more than 5 - and there really should have been some 6s and 7s around. People in years before me at my college have got 6s and 7s, so I don't think there's any problem with the teaching. Plus, I myself thought I'd done well in the English exams, so it wasn't as if I'd had a bad time with it! Very, very strange.....
Indeed, there is definitely something going on! I'll be most likely adding my grievances tomorrow morning when I get my result!
Parisian Scot
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wowowwow....i dont want to spread any false rumourz or anything of that sort... but yeah, i was just wondering what in the world happened with these English A1 exams... i'm very depressed about my result...

by the way ---> i just want to correct someone: if you ask for a re-mark and the grade turns out to be worse than the original one, then they can't change it... the grade only changes (after a re-mark) if the grade is 'better'... i'm in europe, and requesting a re-mark costs 80 euros...

i think its a shame that the IB can be so unpredictable and there is never a uniform level of grading...pity...not to mention the fact that they forgot to put a periodic table in the chemistry exams...i say, the IB ought to order a whole re-mark for the english A1 exams (of course only if the student wants to) on their cost..not ourz...
They obviously don't like people questioning their judgment
befskulls
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Phew I'm glad it's not just our college that had this. I got a 5 and was predicted a 6/7 Mine (and suzy1287's) class all got no more than 5s , even our teacher couldn't understand it
jcdoughty06
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How do you go about getting the IBO to rescore an exam? I was never informed...
Parisian Scot
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jcdoughty06)
How do you go about getting the IBO to rescore an exam? I was never informed...
Your IBC should have the details, but be warned, it is very expensive so only go ahead if you genuinely think there has been a mistake in the grading
Antspants
Report 14 years ago
Umm... I seem to be the only one who got higher than I was predicted. My teacher said I would get a 5 max, but I got a 6, so I'm pretty happy. Don't know how that works tho, my teacher graded my unseen oral as a 4.

Edit: Oh yeah, I take Eng A1 SL.
afoneleri
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hi guyz... did anyone receive lower marks than they expected for english A1? Was there some sort of confusion? Were the examiners just drunk when they marked the papers? its really weird, ppl at my school seem to have received grades much lower than they expected...

anything like that by you guyz??? lets get some brainstorming going... cheerz
Looking at your location and the subject, I'm going to guess you're at Ecolint...

Yeah, our grades were universally terrible in English. A1 HL we had four 6s and no 7s. I got a 6 and have been getting 7s for two years, so it really doesn't make sense. My mum (English teacher) has talked to the IB coordinator and she's trying to get the whole lot of English papers remarked.

Apparently the same thing happened last year at La Chat, and they had all the papers remarked and all the grades went up by a point or two.

So, fingers crossed.

Who is this, btw?

Laura
em912
Report 14 years ago
we shud organize something let the IBO know that we'r not satisfied.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.7%
I'm not sure (40)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.08%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (430)
48.26%

Watched Threads