EMA entitlements Watch

Dom1989
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi
In september i will be going to college but i was wondering about EMA. The thing is my parents have told me that they earn altogether over 30000 per year (dont know the exact figure). However is it possible for me to get some EMA because there are four children in my family (including myself). I was just wondering because it cost a alot of money to raise one child never mind four. Recent statistiscs have said that it costs at least £250,000 to raise one child. Ill leave you to do the sums if there are four children! So i was just wondering if i will be entitled to EMA despite the household income being over £30000?
umarf786
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by determind_1)
Hi
In september i will be going to college but i was wondering about EMA. The thing is my parents have told me that they earn altogether over 30000 per year (dont know the exact figure). However is it possible for me to get some EMA because there are four children in my family (including myself). I was just wondering because it cost a alot of money to raise one child never mind four. Recent statistiscs have said that it costs at least £250,000 to raise one child. Ill leave you to do the sums if there are four children! So i was just wondering if i will be entitled to EMA despite the household income being over £30000?
I doubt it... the entitlement is solely based on your household income, over £30,000 and I think NO.. but wait for other replies.
Dom1989
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
aww well its a bit unfair but thats how it goes. My parents pay alot of tax aswell!
XxJaninexX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its something like 30810 but over that its nope, no matter how if you have 10 kids or just the 1.
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by XxJaninexX)
Its something like 30810 but over that its nope, no matter how if you have 10 kids or just the 1.
Yes, and is therefore unfair - an only-child with parents earning £29k would get EMA but a child with 5 siblings whose parents earn £31k wouldn't. Very unfair - I think the number of children should be taken into account somewhat (if possible).
XxJaninexX
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think its unfair that they PAY you to get an education! No wonder the NCHS is failing when the gov are handing people money.
Miss~Brightside
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
unfair??? :O

when i was at college my £30 a week was a god send!! was so greatful for it.
jameso88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But the family with 10 kids would get a lot more government assistance, than the single child family.
wave_o_mutilation
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think its unfair that they PAY you to get an education! No wonder the NCHS is failing when the gov are handing people money.
i thought that at first too. but then i realised how difficult it is for parents on low incomes to provide for kids who cannot provide for themselves. it is hard for me and you, at our age, to comprehend the difficulty a single parent goes through - even with the other benfits which are there. my mum needs all the help she can get, i have realised. i dont ask for much, but we are still struggelling. and i will be greatfull for the ema and the education i get.

maybe you come from a more affluent family and are not in a posistion to see it the same way.

having said that, i agree, it is a bit stupid to pay people to go to college, and people shouldnt be going for the money, but EMA will be a real help for some of us...

Yes, and is therefore unfair - an only-child with parents earning £29k would get EMA but a child with 5 siblings whose parents earn £31k wouldn't. Very unfair - I think the number of children should be taken into account somewhat (if possible).
hmm i agree, it is abit unfair, but there is no logistically easy way of doing EMA without it beign unfair to some. theres other benifits wich the parents in your example could get, tho,
XxJaninexX
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Put it this way, my mum and dad earn like £30840 a year, so we just a miss out. I have 2 brothers and with all the debts money is tight. However, i plan to get a job so i dont need to ask my mum or the tax payer for money.

Someone said they pay a lot of tax? Wonder why.
wave_o_mutilation
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh well, i sympathesise, but there are many who are way worse off than me and you and are helped a lot by ema
gentoo
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Back in the murky old days before EMA, I was one of the kids who went to college despite my parents not really being able to afford it. I had to catch 4 buses a day and at that time (I'm going back quite a few years) there was no such thing as a bus pass or weekly return so I had to pay full fare. In addition to me taking a Saturday job my parents came up with a solution which worked out quite well and may be an option for you. They are entitled to claim Child benefit for you up until you are 19 if you remain in full time education, ask nicely if you could have that money towards your college expenses (In the old days it was about £24 a month and my parents topped it up to £30 for me - now its ~£17 per week for the eldest child and ~£11 for younger children) I found it was enough to cover my bus fares and buy snacks/stationery.
Its just an idea if you find you can't claim the EMA, and its probably something your parents are more likely to agree to since it is a definitive amount which they definitely receive for you each week.
Alternatively, make sure they are getting their full entitlement to Tax Credits as the cut-off point for those is over £58,000 and they may be able to distribute some of those funds to you. (Their entitlement will depend on how old your siblings are)
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
EMA is based purely on household income and has nothing to do with the number of children in the family, so if your parents earn more than £30k a year, you won't get it. A common argument against EMA is that the number of children should be taken into account, but someone made a very good point when they said that larger families will get more government help in the form of tax credits etc, so it probably evens out.
.:fluff:.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i thought that at first too. but then i realised how difficult it is for parents on low incomes to provide for kids who cannot provide for themselves. it is hard for me and you, at our age, to comprehend the difficulty a single parent goes through - even with the other benfits which are there. my mum needs all the help she can get, i have realised. i dont ask for much, but we are still struggelling. and i will be greatfull for the ema and the education i get.

maybe you come from a more affluent family and are not in a posistion to see it the same way.

having said that, i agree, it is a bit stupid to pay people to go to college, and people shouldnt be going for the money, but EMA will be a real help for some of us...
Now before i say this I have nothing against people that recieve EMA and do understand that for some people it is vital for them to be able to attend college, BUT the system is ****ed up..

e.g. Quite a few people in my year recieved EMA who clearly didn't need it, all had brand new cars, lived in lovely big houses, often only child with everything money could buy.

example 1 - a lad in my tutor whos parents owned their own business, he had a brand new Golf when he passed his test and lived in a house that was clearly worth around half a million quid...however as his parents were self employed and unable to prove their income this lad recieved £30, plus bonus', which gave him a nice allowance for drinking money on a friday night. When I saw him recently at the local he must have put around £25 in the bandit, i jokingly asked him how on earth he could afford it, his reply? "EMA..."

example 2 - A girl in my year whos parents were quite well off, she had a brand new ford Ka upon passing her driving test, could afford to pay for her and her 5 closest friends to go to cyprus for a week (all expenses paid of corse..), again parents couldn't prove their income as they were self employed, so she recieved £30 plus bonus'

example 3 - Me and my best friend live on a council estate close to school, neither of us are particularly "well off", we both have the essentials for school and, although they try, often have to go without as our parents can't afford things, there are 3 siblings in both our familys and our families are both JUST out of the bracket for EMA so we both used to work around 20hours a week to be able to go out with friends, pay for school trips etc...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now has i have said, this is nothing against people that do genuinely need EMA, i also have a close friend that relies on her £30 to pay for travel and school supplies, it's just the system itself that is unfair
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (79)
26.69%
No (217)
73.31%

Watched Threads