The decision: Exeter or Durham? Watch

pagerfat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm a foreign student planning to study Msc Management for international business. I've got offers from Exeter and Durham. To make a decision from the two schools, I hope to know your opinions in terms of reputation, learning environment as well as teaching quality of the two schools.

Thank you so much!
RussellG
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Reputation wise, Durham itself is better than Exeter. Durham is arguably one of the top 10 whereas Exeter is one of the top 20.
But the management subject is less popular because of geographical location (far distance from London).

Learning environment in Durham I think is also better than Exeter because it has a better student/staff ratio.
Durham also has a better national/world/business school ranking positions.

For me it looks there is a clear hierarchical relationship between them.
bacpg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was at Exeter for undergrad and am now moving up to Durham for PG - as was said Durham is better academically, although Exe is also good and improving - it also has a ton of brand new facilities which they've done a good job on (finished last year or two). I'd honestly consider more however the other sides of the places when coming as an international student. I went abroad during my undergrad and would advise looking more at the cultural/travelling/networking opportunities than the 'raw' academic situation in the University (after all, it is where you are coming from who stamp your degree!)

You will probably have an easier time travelling around the UK to explore if you are in Exe as it is much better connected into the general infrastructure, making it easier to grab opportunities to visit places - that said the area around Durham is probably one of the most beautiful in the UK and close to Scotland (if scenery interests you) - although Devon (Exe) is also pretty (and warmer and less rainy!).

Both are good cities with a nice, friendly environment and fairly small which I think is good when your visiting as an international (much easier to feel like you're part of the community). There are a lot of international students at Exeter who are really active and mix with home students regularly (I lived with a load of Erasmus my first year and have friends from when I was abroad currently in Exe), although I can't speak for Durham and I guess the college system could be interesting and a good way to meet a diverse lot of people.

I'd lean toward Exe due to its location and strong international community but then I'm probably bias - either way both are awesome choices and well-respected academically. Have fun!
Clare1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pagerfat)
Hi everyone,

I'm a foreign student planning to study Msc Management for international business. I've got offers from Exeter and Durham. To make a decision from the two schools, I hope to know your opinions in terms of reputation, learning environment as well as teaching quality of the two schools.

Thank you so much!
I'm also an international student! I have an offer from Exeter, but not yet from Durham (which based off of your offers D isn't looking too good!)
So on that note I will most likely be going to Exeter. A family friend that lives just north of London strangle recommended Exeter and said even if I get into Durham I should go to Exe!
I hope this helps, especially if you do choose to go to Exeter than I will know of at least one other international student!

-Clare
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bacpg)
- although Devon (Exe) is also pretty (and warmer and less rainy!).
Devon is wetter than Durham. The whole north east in general is in the rain shadow of the Pennines. Added to that, the east of the UK is drier (but cooler) than the west.

Exeter sees 30 inches of rain a year. Durham has 25.

It's more an east/west than north/south split. The precipitation comes in from the Atlantic Ocean to the west, after all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Mon, 1 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads