The Student Room Group

Would some criminals not commit crimes if they were reared in different environment..

... and if they would not, should we still punish them?

Such as, some criminals might have not commit the crime if they did not have a history of abuse by family members or other members in the society. Or some criminals may have not been able to handle poverty, because of their poor social intelligence which might have been affected by his relationship with other family members? Is it possible that they wouldn't commit the crime if they didn't have such a history? ( Of course, it's never 100% down to the genetic makeup of the criminal, since conditions that negatively affect social relationships and to which they were genetically predisposed can be controlled by altering the environment, at least, to a functioning level. Though it may not be true for some cases. )

And if they wouldn't, how can we conclude that it was the criminal's fault ( since, they might not commit the crime if they had a better family or social or economic life ) and we should punish them?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think that's rather the point of the importance placed upon the rehabilitation aspect of most sentences, in England at least.
Reply 2
I think so, but not all criminals are victims of an unfair society. Some, just enjoy seeing the world around them burn
Obviously. A common example would be those people who grow up in poverty, with little to no money to keep them alive, surrounded by crime. For example, southern states in the US where there are areas full of gangs, many struggling teenagers (suffering from a lack of support both financially and personally) join these gangs to make some money for themselves (or their family) as it's their only option most of the time, which leads them committing a lot of crimes such as drug dealing and murders. If these teenagers grew up in better conditions, then there would be no need for them to participate in these offences.

If there is an environment where poverty was not an issue and families were stable and had enough money, then the number of crimes would certainly decrease.

However, whether they should be punished or not is controversial. I honestly think that any person who commits a crime that inflicts pain (doesn't have to be physical pain) on somebody innocent should be punished, regardless of their reasons. Otherwise, if a decree or whatever comes out, accentuating that it is okay for the victims of poverty to commit crimes, then everyone will do it, which will lead to chaos. You cannot let an unfortunate person get away with a crime with the reason being that they are suffering economically, socially (etc), at least not in my opinion.
(edited 10 years ago)
As above, of course, but there's no possible way of differentiating these people fairly.

Also, you could follow that train of thought and say why is it the fault of someone with bad genetics either? What does make a person responsible for their crime? Since I, as a middle class student from a good family, with a kind disposition, would never even steal an apple, purely by virtue of my birth lottery, why can we justify putting other people in prison for their bad luck?

If you want to go even further, why reward intelligent people, whilst condemning those lucky enough to get a good education? Both are luck, surely?

Society simply can't function like this. People getting away with things because of their background would lead to there being no motivation to succeed or deterrent from crime. It is an issue, but it can only be dealt with by addressing the roots of social inequality - everyone has to be equal before the law or you're on a massive slippery slope.

It comes down to what is meaningful about the notion of 'self'. This is a very deep question that I won't attempt to answer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Rob da Mop
I think that's rather the point of the importance placed upon the rehabilitation aspect of most sentences, in England at least.

Thank you very much. That's a very important point you said.
Reply 6
Original post by SHOO
I think so, but not all criminals are victims of an unfair society. Some, just enjoy seeing the world around them burn

Thank you very much. So what is better ( for us ) to do? Try to "correct" the criminals who are victims of an unfair society, maybe by psychotherapy or teaching social values or giving jobs? Should we still try to "correct" them if they have already committed a large number of crimes, such as tens of murders?
Reply 7
Original post by MedQ
Thank you very much. So what is better ( for us ) to do? Try to "correct" the criminals who are victims of an unfair society, maybe by psychotherapy or teaching social values or giving jobs? Should we still try to "correct" them if they have already committed a large number of crimes, such as tens of murders?

Yeah, there are different rehabilitation techniques that could be used on them. I think whereever there is room for improvement, effort should be put in. Not everyone wants to live a life of a criminal I'm sure. Though everyone can't be put under one roof in terms of judgement, I think it's safe to say, as someone said earlier, that there usually is a reason behind crimes. That could be poverty, bad childhood, experiences which left them scarred mentally, mental illnesses etc etc
Reply 8
Original post by euphrosyne
Obviously. A common example would be those people who grow up in poverty, with little to no money to keep them alive, surrounded by crime. For example, southern states in the US where there are areas full of gangs, many struggling teenagers (suffering from a lack of support both financially and personally) join these gangs to make some money for themselves (or their family) as it's their only option most of the time, which leads them committing a lot of crimes such as drug dealing and murders. If these teenagers grew up in better conditions, then there would be no need for them to participate in these offences.

If there is an environment where poverty was not an issue and families were stable and had enough money, then the number of crimes would certainly decrease.

However, whether they should be punished or not is controversial. I honestly think that any person who commits a crime that inflicts pain (doesn't have to be physical pain) on somebody innocent should be punished, regardless of their reasons. Otherwise, if a decree or whatever comes out, accentuating that it is okay for the victims of poverty to commit crimes, then everyone will do it, which will lead to chaos. You cannot let an unfortunate person get away with a crime with the reason being that they are suffering economically, socially (etc), at least not in my opinion.

Thank you very much for your answer. Of course, poverty is a major factor.

However, if you think that those criminals who have been reared in a difficult environment, wouldn't it be even more unfair to punish them just to let other people in the society know that such actions are punishable? Would it be better if we first try teaching them social values or help them with psychotherapy or giving work?

For instance, in many difficult situations in my life, I have had some really good friends to help me. But for course, this is not true for all. If I imagine that I have been reared up in a horrible family, and there were no helping hands available in my difficult situations, and then I chose to be a criminal and ended up in murdering a handful of people, should I then deserve imprisonment or capital punishment or rather some job and psychotherapy ( such as a therapist telling me that I am not intrinsically a bad person, and I can change ) instead? On the other hand, if I imagine my child has been killed by such a criminal, I would want that murdered to be punished. But then I think if that murderer is a product of the unfair society of which I am a part also ( for example, I never stood against the people who have been unfair with that person and which subsequently made him a murderer ), shouldn't the society be reformed or regulated instead ( that would lead to emerging of less criminals in future. )? However, even if the society decides to reform and regulate itself, I would still want that person to be punished for the murder of my child.

That's a paradox.
Reply 9
Original post by MedQ

However, if you think that those criminals who have been reared in a difficult environment, wouldn't it be even more unfair to punish them just to let other people in the society know that such actions are punishable? Would it be better if we first try teaching them social values or help them with psychotherapy or giving work?

For instance, in many difficult situations in my life, I have had some really good friends to help me. But for course, this is not true for all. If I imagine that I have been reared up in a horrible family, and there were no helping hands available in my difficult situations, and then I chose to be a criminal and ended up in murdering a handful of people, should I then deserve imprisonment or capital punishment or rather some job and psychotherapy ( such as a therapist telling me that I am not intrinsically a bad person, and I can change ) instead? On the other hand, if I imagine my child has been killed by such a criminal, I would want that murdered to be punished. But then I think if that murderer is a product of the unfair society of which I am a part also ( for example, I never stood against the people who have been unfair with that person and which subsequently made him a murderer ), shouldn't the society be reformed or regulated instead ( that would lead to emerging of less criminals in future. )? However, even if the society decides to reform and regulate itself, I would still want that person to be punished for the murder of my child.

That's a paradox.

There's this book called "Talking with serial killers" You should read that, it's pretty interesting.

As far as punishment is concerned, you have to remember we live in a democracy where the criminal justice system plays a huge role. How will you ever justify that to the families of those who have lost a loved one?

Take Lee Rigby's case for example, his murderers were both mentally unstable, had no parents from early childhood and got bullied at school. Would it be acceptable to give them a therapist rather than imprisonment? How would you justify that?

It's a really controversial grey area of the criminal justice system
Original post by Octohedral
As above, of course, but there's no possible way of differentiating these people fairly.

Also, you could follow that train of thought and say why is it the fault of someone with bad genetics either? What does make a person responsible for their crime? Since I, as a middle class student from a good family, with a kind disposition, would never even steal an apple, purely by virtue of my birth lottery, why can we justify putting other people in prison for their bad luck?

If you want to go even further, why reward intelligent people, whilst condemning those lucky enough to get a good education? Both are luck, surely?

Society simply can't function like this. People getting away with things because of their background would be no motivation or deterrent. It is an issue, but it can only be dealt with by addressing the roots of social inequality - everyone has to be equal before the law or you're on a massive slippery slope.

It comes down to what is meaningful about the notion of 'self'. This is a very deep question that I won't attempt to answer.

I agree with most of what you're saying. It's definitely about 'luck' and the fact that society isn't fair. If everyone were equal, if everyone were living in average standard conditions, then crime would not be a huge issue.

However, I disagree with the bolded parts. If everyone were to be lucky, then yes, crimes would possibly decrease (although this is not entirely definite). However, if a person was to be unlucky, thus giving them the right to commit a crime freely, they would do it with no hesitation (if they had no morals). This would just start a domino effect imo. People will start to claim that they're unlucky "Oh my parents don't fund me anymore, I need money..", "My parents passed away from old age, I need money.." "My husband died of cancer, I need money.." (the list is endless) and therefore, would commit a crime, possibly stealing or killing someone, just for that economic benefit. The world is definitely not fair, I agree with you on that, but we should not give people who suffer the freedom to do something that is immoral. Instead, we should focus (like you've mentioned) on making this world far more better, and equal in terms of society to prevent the outbreak of these unpunishable crimes.

These are just my opinions, I'm not trying to start an argument :innocent:
(edited 10 years ago)
However, I disagree with the bolded parts. If everyone were to be lucky, then yes, crimes would possibly decrease (although this is not entirely definite). However, if a person was to be unlucky, thus giving them the right to commit a crime freely, they would do it with no hesitation (if they had no morals). This would just start a domino effect imo. People will start to claim that they're unlucky "Oh my parents don't fund me anymore, I need money..", "My parents passed away from old age, I need money.." "My husband died of cancer, I need money.." (the list is endless) and therefore, would commit a crime, possibly stealing or killing someone, just for that economic benefit. The world is definitely not fair, I agree with you on that, but we should not give people who suffer the freedom to do something is immoral. Instead, we should focus (like you've mentioned) on making this world far more better, and equal in terms of society to prevent the outbreak of these unpunishable crimes.

I think you misunderstood me - I agree with you. The first bolded part is rhetorical, and the second is badly worded, but says we can't let people get away with things because you would have no motivation to succeed, or deterrent to stop people committing crime. :redface:
Reply 12

Society simply can't function like this. People getting away with things because of their background would be no motivation or deterrent. It is an issue, but it can only be dealt with by addressing the roots of social inequality - everyone has to be equal before the law or you're on a massive slippery slope.

Thank you very much. You said the most important thing. That we have to address the root of crimes, and try to solve them. But while doing this ( since we can't do this overnight ), say hypothetically, if someone who has had a life of abuse, poverty, mental illness etc and later turned up into a criminal ( the point to note is that if we can change the factors that made him a criminal, we can change his worldview and behaviour ) and one day killed the parents or children of another person in the society, what is the better thing to do for the society for its own good? Of course, there will be little effect on the society's productivity if he gets imprisoned, but then of course if he becomes a social and functioning person, he could contribute to the society as well ( isn't that the principle of society in the first place? ).
I think you misunderstood me - I agree with you. The first bolded part is rhetorical, and the second is badly worded, but says we can't let people get away with things because you would have no motivation to succeed, or deterrent to stop people committing crime. :redface:

Awkward.. :teehee: I couldn't catch the rhetoric in it, my bad haha :innocent:
Awkward.. :teehee: I couldn't catch the rhetoric in it, my bad haha :innocent:

No problem, I'm not the most gifted speaker. :tongue: What you said was exactly what I mean - it simply can't work because you need a deterrent.

Original post by MedQ
Thank you very much. You said the most important thing. That we have to address the root of crimes, and try to solve them. But while doing this ( since we can't do this overnight ), say hypothetically, if someone who has had a life of abuse, poverty, mental illness etc and later turned up into a criminal ( the point to note is that if we can change the factors that made him a criminal, we can change his worldview and behaviour ) and one day killed the parents or children of another person in the society, what is the better thing to do for the society for its own good? Of course, there will be little effect on the society's productivity if he gets imprisoned, but then of course if he becomes a social and functioning person, he could contribute to the society as well ( isn't that the principle of society in the first place? ).

I agree with rehabilitation where possible. Plenty of people don't, and it is a risk - if even one murderer goes on to murder again, that victim's blood is on our hands. Crimes like theft are much less of a risk, and plenty of thieves do get rehabilitated. The question is the extent to which we do this. Norway has a very interesting model where there is a maximum sentence of 25 years, and lots of rehabilitation programmes. It came under fire in the Breivik case.

I don't personally think it's always possible - some people are just really messed up from abuse at a young age or other factors, and whilst that's sad I think society has no option but to keep some convicted murderers locked up forever, though possibly in psychiatric or 'less prison-like' units.

People should be given second chances where possible though, and more importantly should be given the support to make use of them. A prisoner released to a life on the streets isn't going to be rehabilitated, and who can blame them?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MedQ
... and if they would not, should we still punish them?

Such as, some criminals might have not commit the crime if they did not have a history of abuse by family members or other members in the society. Or some criminals may have not been able to handle poverty, because of their poor social intelligence which might have been affected by his relationship with other family members? Is it possible that they wouldn't commit the crime if they didn't have such a history? ( Of course, it's never 100% down to the genetic makeup of the criminal, since conditions that negatively affect social relationships and to which they were genetically predisposed can be controlled by altering the environment, at least, to a functioning level. Though it may not be true for some cases. )

And if they wouldn't, how can we conclude that it was the criminal's fault ( since, they might not commit the crime if they had a better family or social or economic life ) and we should punish them?

whilst i agree upbringing can dictate to some degree crime behaviour you cannot live in a modern society and not know that its wrong to mug, assualt, stab someone, rape etc etc etc.

Even if mommy and daddy did see little chav son shank a girl at the age of three and go "ahhhhh thats adorable whose my boy innit" the rest of the world does not think the same.

They know their actions are wrong and upbringing or no yes they should be punished.

and you really want to open that flood gate - never mind the insanity plea, youll get every scrote and scum bag goin "innit blood, me mam didnt lov me ya get me blood." and laugh thier way out of the court as some lefty wishy washy prat just goes "oh pip pip cherrio you poor thing of you go have a cucumber sandwich and a croissant"
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MedQ

That's a paradox.

You put forward a very logical point. However, I still disagree. Yes, a possibility could be to help teach them social values or provide them with psychotherapy, however, this doesn’t always prove to be successful. Once a culprit has committed a fair amount of crimes, it will be quite difficult to change them and make them realise what’s right and wrong.

I do understand what you’re saying, and I definitely agree. If you’ve been reared up in a horrible family, with no economic support or any helping hands, then a crime to make help you survive in society should not be condemned. Why should a person who has nothing be prosecuted because they have nothing? But then again, you’ve got to think of the outcome this will have on society. It will make matters worse, instead of making them better. I honestly sympathise with murderers who are a product of this unfair society, but I still do not think what they’re doing is right, despite their torment. If I, a poor, single mother, has a child taken away from me by a murderer who is suffering to the same extent as me, I still do not think it should be right for him to not be punished. If he’s committing a murder because he’s been unlucky, so should I. But if this were a real situation, I would never kill anyone. It’s just wrong, regardless of your background.

Instead of questioning whether these criminals should be punished or not, the better question is, how do we make this society a fairer, and more equal place? Your question is incredibly controversial and it can never be solved until everyone is considered to be an individual of a fair society.

Edit: Sorry for the font, it's not letting me change it back to normal :innocent:
Edit: Why won't my font change? It's annoying me
:frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
No problem, I'm not the most gifted speaker. :tongue: What you said was exactly what I mean - it simply can't work because you need a deterrent.

Don't worry, seeing as English is not my first language, I often don't say what I'm trying to say :tongue: Exactly. Once one person has the freedom, everyone will want that freedom and thus, the world will become a very chaotic place.
This is a red herring. Everything we do is determined, either by the genes we have, our environment, the neurotransmitters floating around in our brains right down to the molecules crashing together in their endless stochastic dance. But it's s mistake to think that the "real you" is separate from these things, like a ship being tossed on the sea of determinism. Your genes, neurotransmitters, and upbringing are you. Therefore whatever they lead you to do is still your responsibility.

The key is that these things do not compel you to commit crimes. Whatever your upbringing, you cannot commit a murder against your will (as long as you are of sound mind). Your genes will not force you to pick up a knife and stab someone. They may predispose you to becoming irrationally angry, but you still have the free will to not pick up the knife or not pull the trigger. True compulsion would be if someone held a gun to your head or had your family hostage.
Reply 19
Original post by silverbolt
whilst i agree upbringing can dictate to some degree crime behaviour you cannot live in a modern society and not know that its wrong to mug, assualt, stab someone, rape etc etc etc.

Even if mommy and daddy did see little chav son shank a girl at the age of three and go "ahhhhh thats adorable whose my boy innit" the rest of the world does not think the same.

They know their actions are wrong and upbringing or no yes they should be punished.

and you really want to open that flood gate - never mind the insanity plea, youll get every scrote and scum bag goin "innit blood, me mam didnt lov me ya get me blood." and laugh thier way out of the court as some lefty wishy washy prat just goes "oh pip pip cherrio you poor thing of you go have a cucumber sandwich and a croissant"

Yes, it's impossible to not know the social codes for someone living in the society, or maybe any society. While they certainly know that "No killing people" is the social code, they certainly don't know how to live in the society. Although we are all born with a preinstalled version of empathy, you have to get sufficient positive interaction with your family and the society to nurture it to a level that is necessary for your survival in adulthood. And if you don't learn this, you're not going to live a functioning social life. Killers and rapists certainly lack this sense of empathy. While many criminals may never develop this sense of empathy and would never regret killing or raping people ( such as, some serial killers. I have nothing to disagree with about punishing them. There is a reason we don't allow tigers walk in the street. ), for many it might be possible to change themselves and develop empathy if the proper environment is provided.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending