The Student Room Group

I think I have health anxiety.

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some support. For around 2 months now I've been having a lot of worry about my health. I've been overthinking things a lot. Like I went to the dentist because I had toothache and I thought I had perodontitis (serious mouth condition). I even thought I had the symptoms. Also I thought I had HIV and thought I had the symptoms, I over thought about it and got tested. All clear! Still though I'm losing sleep and not eating well because of my anxieties. I don't want to live like this anymore. :frown: its now starting to affect my relationships with my family and friends. I was having panic attacks and chest pains over normal everyday things too. :frown:
Please help.

Sophie.
Original post by sophieleannexo
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some support. For around 2 months now I've been having a lot of worry about my health. I've been overthinking things a lot. Like I went to the dentist because I had toothache and I thought I had perodontitis (serious mouth condition). I even thought I had the symptoms. Also I thought I had HIV and thought I had the symptoms, I over thought about it and got tested. All clear! Still though I'm losing sleep and not eating well because of my anxieties. I don't want to live like this anymore. :frown: its now starting to affect my relationships with my family and friends. I was having panic attacks and chest pains over normal everyday things too. :frown:
Please help.

Sophie.

I too have this, with hypochondria, your thought feed your symptoms, the more you worry, the more your sympathetic nervous system goes into 'fight or flight' mode. This releases nor-adrenaline, which binds to b-adrenalergic receptors, increases heart rate, causes you to panic more, heart pounds, which send you into a panic attack.
Go to your doctor, tell him about these symptoms, he will most likely prescribe you with Beta-blockers, probably 'Propanolol', this will make panic attacks impossible.
Go to a psychiatrist and request CBT (cognitive behavour training), this will help divert your thoughts.
Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Dwane
Have you tried breathing and/or meditation techniques?

The following are links which I found informative. Maybe they'll be useful to you.
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201306/how-does-meditation-reduce-anxiety-neural-level

Let this be a motivation to make the changes that you need in your life. You can do it, but you need to be firm with yourself and try your best to follow through on steps to reduce your anxiety, such as those mentioned in the first link above.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I too have this, with hypochondria, your thought feed your symptoms, the more you worry, the more your sympathetic nervous system goes into 'fight or flight' mode. This releases nor-adrenaline, which binds to b-adrenalergic receptors, increases heart rate, causes you to panic more, heart pounds, which send you into a panic attack.
Go to your doctor, tell him about these symptoms, he will most likely prescribe you with Beta-blockers, probably 'Propanolol', this will make panic attacks impossible.
Go to a psychiatrist and request CBT (cognitive behavour training), this will help divert your thoughts.
Good Luck :smile:

I dont want drugs, I'd rather have CBT. How would I go to see a psychiatrist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont want drugs, I'd rather have CBT. How would I go to see a psychiatrist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Through a hospital.
Through a hospital.

So I wouldn't need to be referred from my GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I wouldn't need to be referred from my GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's sort of what I meant.:colondollar:
That's sort of what I meant.:colondollar:

Thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome
You're welcome

I went to the doctors, they told me my symptoms weren't disturbing me enough to be able to see a psychiatrist :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to the doctors, they told me my symptoms weren't disturbing me enough to be able to see a psychiatrist :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If health anxiety is getting you to a point where you can't even go outside then you need one. If it's just on the back of your mind, you should be alright
If health anxiety is getting you to a point where you can't even go outside then you need one. If it's just on the back of your mind, you should be alright

I can go outside. I just get worried about my health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can go outside. I just get worried about my health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do a lot of people, you're fine then.

Quick Reply

Latest